Sponsored by:

05 Mustang GT vs. 02 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/04, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PaperTarget@September 2, 2004, 2:41 PM
[

And BTW, the WRX has a "boxer" engine just like a Porsche. It doesn't sound like a lawnmower. In fact it has quite a nice grumble to it (though not as nice as a V8 rumble).

yeah a guy around here in the richmond area has a black WRX, i love my V8 rumble. but i have to admit. his car screams. doesnt sound like a honda etc with a fart can. sounds like an Formula One car. and as long as the cars are fast its all good. and i think the 05 will be able to handle as well as the WRX. just come snow or dirt road then AWD will have an advantage
Old 9/2/04, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Kahdir@September 1, 2004, 5:47 PM
Headers & Cat-Backs don't add horsepower, they help you regain what you may loose to the rear wheels.

BTW... what are the weight to power ratios looking like?
Hmm where did you get this info that they dont add hp? Lets see if I have a car that lays down 250 stock trim. And I add exhaust on it and it jumps up to 270 thats 20 rwhp gained. Sounds like it adds hp to me. Sure it was just freed up hp that the car really had just needing to be opened up but it still gained it.

Back to the original ? Well it all kinda depends on if you can drive the car or not. Most (not all but most) import guys have no idea how to shift a car. Like stated before take it to the track. I am pretty sure you can get 13.90's out of the mustang bone stock. Maybe faster depending on if your any kind of driver.
Old 9/2/04, 03:20 PM

Assuming driver equality and the WRX has a close to sti setup, the WRX will win from a dead stop and from a rolling start. If this is closer to a stock 02 WRX, it won't be much of a constest. The 05 GT will rip it up. Juiced sti's generally post below 4.9 and some close to 4.7. A bone stock WRX handles well in the corners, but going 0-60 is a 5.5 at best.

I would want to see the car before I put money on it. Rip the limiter and throw a screw/roots supercharger on the mustang and it will smoke (literally) a WRX in practically any reasonable setup.

Not a direct quote, but the general idea applies from the movie Seabiscuit: If that monster ever shakes loose we will never catch it. That pretty much describes american muscle.
Old 9/2/04, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

First of all, I doubt just a chip will add 55hp to that WRX, your friend is full of poo. I'm guessing he's pretty young and so are you, so I rest my case on how much bs he's shelling out. I knew a kid when I was a sophmore in college that said his acura integra would do a 1/4 in 10.3, which was completely stock I might add, what a moron.

Second, is anyone forgetting that the WRX has all wheel drive. I bet you an out of the box WRX could hang with the '05. I sincerely hope not since I have a buddy who has a stock WRX and he keeps bugging me about racing when I get my stang in October. He can't drive for poo, so I'm not too worried.

Anyways, take caution when you race an all wheel drive car. They don't sit there and spin the rear wheels. And while you're doing it in your stang, he'll be gone.

edited for language: please don't bypass the filters :nono: see forum rules
Old 9/2/04, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Hey thanks for the good advice guys, I definitely like your mod suggestions and input on the wrx's abilities. I guess it's only a matter of time. I just can't wait tell I get it! I'm definitely gonna do a few aesthetic things to it first: tinted windows, 18's when they come out (I love those factory 18's), and some 275/45zr18 bfgoodrich g-force kdw's. I also saw some sweet rims from that blue 05 mustang bfgoodrich ad that are amazing. I only wish I knew what they were? Ill let you know how it goes, and take some pics.
Old 9/2/04, 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am kinda dumbfounded at the remarks that a K&N Air Filter and a exhaust don't add hp? On a turbo/supercharged car they generally add hp in spades. The improvement is less noticeable on a n/a car, but it can still be there.

A very good friend of mine used to do the dyno runs for "Air-Cooled Classics" in Knoxville, and on many a Saturday I was there watching Cobra's, Mustang GT's, Z06's, T/A's, and imports of every ilk spinning a Dyno-jet. Trust me, exhaust and even a simple filter can make a big difference.

Case in point, my "friends" MkIII Supra (I know, I know.....I tried to help him see the light, but nothing doing) dynoed at more hp at the wheels than the factory rated it at the crank with nothing more than an exhaust (factory exhaust manifold, big honkin downpipe, 3 inch exhaust tubing, generic mufflers that were as close to straight pipes as a muffler can get) and a K&N filter. He had "re-routed" the air intake with a home-made setup, but you couldn't call it ram air with a straight face.

Exhaust mods on a turbo car can be a huge improvement relative to other cars. I am not into the import thing but with a stock turbo, the above mods, a GS300 throttle body, and a shimmed wastegate he made 270rwhp and change in a car factory rated at 210hp to the crank. (reasonably accurate according to the dyno he did when stock if a bit optimistic) That is essentially a 100hp improvement compared to his "stock" dyno run. A throttle body and a few washers on a waste-gate can only account for so much of it fella's.

I cannot stand WRX's personally, but I wouldn't discount his hp claims off-hand. He is likely just guessing, but he could be guessing close.
Old 9/3/04, 08:39 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Most (not all but most) import guys have no idea how to shift a car.
What the heck does THAT mean?!?!? I own an import so I have no clue how to shift? But I also own a domestic so I DO know how to shift."

First of all, I doubt just a chip will add 55hp to that WRX, your friend is full of poo.
Uhhh, I added a turbo back exhaust and had a mild ECU tune and went from 172 awhp to 225 awhp. I must be full of poo as well.

Rip the limiter and throw a screw/roots supercharger on the mustang and it will smoke (literally) a WRX in practically any reasonable setup.
Yup. Considering it has over twice the cubic inches that the Subi does, a 4.6L V8 with a power adder WILL spank a 2.0L with a power adder. But then again, the 2005 Mustang Gt hasn't been built yet, let alone any aftermarket goodies, so I guess that makes the WRX faster for now.
Old 9/3/04, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Did you happen to read where I put (not all but most) in my statement.
Old 9/3/04, 09:13 AM
GT Member

Nick, the rims you are talking about in the BF Goodrich add are Bonspeed Deltas.
Old 9/3/04, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Did you happen to read where I put (not all but most) in my statement.
Do you have any evidence that backs up your claim? You say most.....How do you know this? You simply don't.

Have a nice day B)
Old 9/3/04, 09:22 AM
GTR Member

This is getting a bit heated!

Both cars are made for different markets, the Scooby is a very good car in it's own right, developed purely because of the Homologation laws in World Rally Championship. The Mustang was made specifically for the American Muscle market. You cannot really compare them. One thing that has to be said though, I am not sure if it is the same with a scooby as it is with an evo, but the EVO FQ340 only gets 15mpg!

Stock.......Scooby Wins

Modded....Mustang wins, purely because the WRX is tuned to the max anyway, there is a lot more scope if the Mustang
Old 9/3/04, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Actually the insuing discussion was about most people who own imports not knowing how to shift a car. Which is a pig headed statement.

I agree w/ what you are saying jgsmuzzy. Anyway you can make anything fast and someone will always be faster than you. No worries.

Have a nice day
Old 9/3/04, 09:51 AM
V6 Member

Probably what he is implying is that the import crowd for the most part are young/inexperience drivers vs the muscle/ponycar crowd which tends to be somewhat older . . . thus more experience(launching/shifting).
Old 9/3/04, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

First off all of this is bench racing, take it to the track and find out.

Second I think it's hilarious how Stang owners love to tout their cheap performance, but as soon as something equally cheap beats them they start wailing "RICE!!" and or "But your car is ugly!!1" I've expirienced that myself once or twice.

Such poor sports, lets get grown.
Old 9/3/04, 10:06 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tech@September 2, 2004, 3:53 PM
First of all, I doubt just a chip will add 55hp to that WRX, your friend is full of poo.
I disagree with you. My brother-in-law races trucks. He just picked up a Chevy 2500 diesel. 300 hp stock. He added a chip and now is running at 425hp. He did nothing but add a chip. Truck was on a dyno before and after the chip was added.
Old 9/3/04, 10:08 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by onetorquedhorse@September 3, 2004, 9:16 AM
Nick, the rims you are talking about in the BF Goodrich add are Bonspeed Deltas.
Ya, this was discussed in a topic where I was trying to find out who made them. I might get the bonspeed delta's or boyd coddington's. A guy I work with just redid a 1970 mustang and put boyd's 5 spokes on it. Soooooo sweet.
Old 9/3/04, 11:38 AM
GT Member

Hey thanks Zach, those rims are tight. I think those will be my second purchase after smoking out the windows. Do you know a site that has prices on Bonspeed's? I'll have to check out those Boyd Coddington's too. I see someone was talking about a chevy diesal chipped up to 450. I believe that, considering my boss's truck runs 850 hp to the ground! And it is a 4-door duelly!!!!!! He chipped it, supercharger with 2 stages of propane and a 3rd stage of nitrous. If he has the nitrous on in 4wd he can still burn out with all 6 tires (remember it's a duelly)!!! It's totally crazy, but too fun to drive
Old 9/3/04, 11:45 AM
GT Member

Heres the pic and a link to the company that makes them.
Bonspeed Billet Wheels
Old 9/3/04, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Highlander@September 3, 2004, 9:30 AM
Actually the insuing discussion was about most people who own imports not knowing how to shift a car. Which is a pig headed statement.

I agree w/ what you are saying jgsmuzzy. Anyway you can make anything fast and someone will always be faster than you. No worries.

Have a nice day
I lived every Friday and Saturday night for about 4 years and watched plenty of ndsf's(No Driving F*ck Sticks) driving imports. I am not saying that there isnt a ton of guys that cant drive a mustang . But the majority was young punks who thought they had fast imports. Man dont get me wrong I have nothing against a fast car import or not. I have also seen and raced plenty of cars whose owner couldnt drive their way out of a wet paper bag. Mostly young punks who thought their new import was king of the street.
Old 9/3/04, 12:17 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@September 3, 2004, 10:25 AM
but the EVO FQ340 only gets 15mpg!

Modded....Mustang wins, purely because the WRX is tuned to the max anyway
Ouch! 15mpg! That stinks. While I'm not pulling the greatest mileage, I average 24mpg (a mix of city/highway/gettin' on it).

As far as the Scooby being maxed out, there is ALOT left in them. They ones that are close to maxxed out are running 11's-low 12's without NOS.

Quick Reply: 05 Mustang GT vs. 02 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan