2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Mustang GT vs. 02 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/04, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if MAF is Mass Air Filter? TB is probably the Throttle Body.

-EDIT-
Dang posted too late. Well I was mostly right.
Old 9/1/04, 06:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically just things that affect air intake without forced induction.
Old 9/1/04, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

If you plan to race him stock your only chance is from a roll. Learn what speed is more convient (torque curve) your you and don't let him get the hit.

If your planning to race him with some mods .. . I will go with gears, pulleys CAI,TB,MAF and header/exhaust. I'm sure we will have all those mods available for the 05 Gt very soon. Good luck and smoke that ricer!
Old 9/1/04, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, it's kind of funny. Every single time someone says that their Subaru is sooo cool, I can't help but picture Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) sitting in one and trying to sell it to us. In fact now that I think about it, the first time I was told that it was a Japanese company I didn't believe it. When I was younger I actually thought it was Australian. Huh. Funny. Yeah. B)
Old 9/1/04, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Or, you could wait for a 350 bhp Mustang SE (such as a Shelby), or better yet, the 450+ Mustang Cobra.

Can you say: "Buh-bye WRX!"
Old 9/1/04, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

yeap, the best first mods for hp would be a larger throttle body, less restrictive exhaust and a reflashed chip...adds the most power for least cost...

And anyways, in the looks department, you already have your friend beat
Old 9/1/04, 10:00 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I'm assuming pullies, TB and/or a chip will pretty much void the factory or extended warranty?
Old 9/1/04, 10:14 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by NickS@September 1, 2004, 5:07 PM
My friend just got a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan and claims it's pretty fast and with some exhaust mods and maybe a chip of some sort he's getting 282 hp out of it. How do you think my 05 GT would handle it stock straight from the factory? He's really starting to get on my nerves, haha, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought. One other question, how much more horsepower and torque could I get from a borla exhaust and k&n air filter? Thanks, by the way this is my first post, haha, but I love Mustangs so I think I should fit right in here.
well as u see dr greg(me) here has diagnosed ur friend with RICERitus. he has a japanese piece of crap. braggs about mods and overrates them by tellin u his lawnmower sounding exhaust added 40hp. he thinks he will win probably cuz he has "a factory turbo" but the 05 from what i can tell will rip it. if u can drive well u will kill him. i feel soo bad for ur friend cuz ur gonna be stealin all the girls. he'll be gettin trash while u take all the good stuff
Old 9/1/04, 10:23 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I'm not going to lose any sleep because the Neon SRT can beat me.

And there's only one way to find out who is faster, take the cars to a strip (we don't condone street racing BTW).

He could be a crappy driver, effectively nullifying any power, traction advantages. Just make sure you're good at shifting and launching.
Old 9/1/04, 11:12 PM

Great point about takin' it to the strip Dan. Racing on the street, you can be dead last....or dead first! :bang:
Old 9/2/04, 12:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

What a suprise that this question came from a newbie (BTW, I don't mean to offend you, I'm just sick of these "will my car beat his" questions). Didja already ask this question at Stang.net? They love to talk about this hypothetical crap.

An AWD will beat a Stang around any course with a lot of curves. Although the modular 4.6 will act differently than pushrods, you still have some of the low-end torque, and some of the top-end pull.

If you put an SC on a Stang, it will blow a WRX out of the water. But why am I wasting my time talking about this? As Dan said, take it to the track and find out for yourself.

But what do I know? I've only owned 50+ vehicles. I was just drifting in my friend's Tacoma earlier tonight. I'll bet if I put a full exhaust on that it will get me 50 more hp. Oops, I just woke up. Darn.
Old 9/2/04, 06:52 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure where to start. Let's see:

1) Plan on running the '05 GT stock for quite awhile since the aftermarket will take some time getting parts out for it (a few will show up at SEMA in Nov, but it will still take awhile).

2) Running a WRX from a roll is NOT an advantage. Remember, this is a turbo charged car. It will not run that great until the turbo is spooled up, which is around 3,000-3,500 rpm. Once it is spooled up, that is when the car will shine. I've done 70mph rolls against GT's and Mach 1's and I can hang with them no problem.

3) The WRX owner will most likely NOT be riding the clutch hard, so it will bog from a dig. Only an idiot will ride his clutch on a regular basis (which IS stupid in my opinion).

Where do I come with all of these opinions? Well, I own a '96 Mustang GT AND a '02 WRX. The Rex will walk my Stang hands down (though I will admit the '96 with it's 215hp and highway gears isn't very impressive). I have very mildly modified my Subaru with only 2 mods: a turbo-back exhaust and a minor ECU tune. I went to the track with 2 friends recently, one with a stock '02 Mustang GT and the other with a mildly modified '03 Mach 1. Here are our best times:

'02 Mustang GT - 14.20's
'02 Subaru WRX - 13.90's
'03 Mustang Mach 1 - 13.70's

The GT driver is an AWESOME driver. His times were very consistant and his times showed it. The Mach 1 driver had problems getting traction down to the pavement on his stock radials. My problem was too much traction. It would bog hard off of the line.....and I refused to "clutch it" to keep the rpms up for boost. My 60' times of 2.30 shows that there is no advantage to AWD in a race. Some of my WRX friends with the same mods as me are running 13.20-13.50 range, but they are burning the clutch to do so.

Anyway, my opinion is that you can't compare a cars when one isn't even produced yet. Also, it always amazes me how close minded people are to the competition. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not quick. Kinda like a guy with the '70 Mach 1 claiming the '03 Mach 1 is junk and not as fast as a "real musclecar"
Old 9/2/04, 07:07 AM

Probably depends on the venue and what mods the WRX might have.

Dead stop, straight line, stock: My guess would be the '05. Simple power to weight ratio here. However, if the WRX has even modest mods and is willing to go through clutches like cheap beer, then the AWD dig and better high rpm boost might shift things a bit.

Winding road course: Here, the Sub's handling, AWD balance and on boost performance may well even things out quite a bit, especially if the road is a bit bumpy, which will start throwing the Stang's live axle around. And if traction is any issue, then the Sub's AWD may well be the deciding factor -- all the HP in the world ain't worth squat till it gets to the road.

Overall: The Stang, though one would be foolish to write off these new turbo sedans, especially the EVO and STi, as they are VERY fast over a wide® range of driving scenarios and conditions. But the '05s 300hp / 320lb/ft, coupled with it's vastly improved if not state of the art suspension (still has an ox-cart axle), should pretty much rule the day over a fairly stock WRX.
Old 9/2/04, 01:57 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 428CJ@September 1, 2004, 5:12 PM
K&N airfilters don't add any horsepower....they are nice however because they have lifetime warranties...

Are you sure? Why is it K&N and everyone else claims you do get an increase in HP. I bought a kit for my 97 because K&N claimed a 5hp increase.
Old 9/2/04, 02:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think those K/N tests are rigged...brad, you were mentioning something about that before.....

Elaborate?
Old 9/2/04, 02:04 PM
Cobra Member

the wrx might have a leg up because of its 4wd
Old 9/2/04, 02:04 PM
FR500 Member

im iffy on the whole K&N situation......i think they might add some. ill check out my parts magazine
Old 9/2/04, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2005muzzy+September 1, 2004, 6:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2005muzzy @ September 1, 2004, 6:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bobdobolina@September 1, 2004, 5:36 PM
NickS, do not sell that WRX short. Those cars are fairly quick out of the box, but with an extra 55HP, it is very quick. Your best bet is to run him from a roll. If he's willing to drive that car like he stole it, you'll lose from a stand-still everytime.

Clint
Yeah their quick but people look like dorks driving them. I think they are fugly. besides I would blow up a 4 banger in a week !!!!!!. :flame2: [/b][/quote]
Hmm, I guess I look like a dork. Fortunately not everyone thinks as ignorantly as you.

As a WRX owner (2002), I can tell you that it will be a close race IF he knows how to launch it. Otherwise you should have him by a car length or so. The WRX is no joke when modded.

And BTW, the WRX has a "boxer" engine just like a Porsche. It doesn't sound like a lawnmower. In fact it has quite a nice grumble to it (though not as nice as a V8 rumble).

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, stupidity only with death...

P.S. - I've beaten modded Mustangs at the track in my WRX, they weren't saying anything to my face about rice after that :nono: But I also have a clean car and it's not riced out. At least it doesn't look like the Roush

As soon as a SE is out, I'll be going to that. Until then I'll continue to enjoy my 67 Mustang, SVT Focus and Subaru WRX
Old 9/2/04, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

enough talk...let's race
Old 9/2/04, 02:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by NickS@September 1, 2004, 5:07 PM
My friend just got a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan and claims it's pretty fast and with some exhaust mods and maybe a chip of some sort he's getting 282 hp out of it. How do you think my 05 GT would handle it stock straight from the factory? He's really starting to get on my nerves, haha, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought. One other question, how much more horsepower and torque could I get from a borla exhaust and k&n air filter? Thanks, by the way this is my first post, haha, but I love Mustangs so I think I should fit right in here.
I think you go to the track and race him. If he wins, you shake his and say "Great race!". If you win, you shake his hand and say "Great race!". It's very simple really.

Quick Reply: 05 Mustang GT vs. 02 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan