2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Mustang GT vs. 02 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/04, 05:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend just got a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan and claims it's pretty fast and with some exhaust mods and maybe a chip of some sort he's getting 282 hp out of it. How do you think my 05 GT would handle it stock straight from the factory? He's really starting to get on my nerves, haha, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought. One other question, how much more horsepower and torque could I get from a borla exhaust and k&n air filter? Thanks, by the way this is my first post, haha, but I love Mustangs so I think I should fit right in here.
Old 9/1/04, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

K&N airfilters don't add any horsepower....they are nice however because they have lifetime warranties...

I'm sure if you added a new borla exaust with headers you could probably add maybe 35HP.... THis is just a guess of course, but that would probably REALLY help.... I'm guessing it owuld be a real close race with him being able to edge by you...
Old 9/1/04, 05:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
282 HP... GT has 300, optimized conditions, 305-7 so you'd probably beat him by a few...
Old 9/1/04, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he might edge ya, but he'll have to listen to that whine of the 4 banger all the way to the line...

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/wrxnew.html

it would be closer due to his mods, I'd say give him a running... it would be a good race even if he does win he doesn't have that V8 rumble
Old 9/1/04, 05:33 PM
GT Member

NickS, do not sell that WRX short. Those cars are fairly quick out of the box, but with an extra 55HP, it is very quick. Your best bet is to run him from a roll. If he's willing to drive that car like he stole it, you'll lose from a stand-still everytime.

Clint
Old 9/1/04, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by bobdobolina@September 1, 2004, 5:36 PM
NickS, do not sell that WRX short. Those cars are fairly quick out of the box, but with an extra 55HP, it is very quick. Your best bet is to run him from a roll. If he's willing to drive that car like he stole it, you'll lose from a stand-still everytime.

Clint
No lie. And, although I love the Stang, it's a good thing it's not an STi (300 hp stock) or, quite honestly, the '05 would get embarrased.
Old 9/1/04, 05:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Headers & Cat-Backs don't add horsepower, they help you regain what you may loose to the rear wheels.

BTW... what are the weight to power ratios looking like?
Old 9/1/04, 05:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Forget power to weight.....look at the torque figures......282hp is all well and good...that is a 2.0L engine, I think (remembering..) the torque is around 195lb/ft, nothing on the new GT, The Gt would whip it over a 1/4 mile (hopefully) and the gt is a lot cheaper (new car not 2002 WRX)
Old 9/1/04, 05:51 PM
GT Member

Yeah I definitely hear you guys, I know those WRX turbos are quick, but I thought I'd see what you'd think. I have the money to stick into my car when I get it, but I don't know exactly what I should get. I was thinking cold air intake, exhaust, and a supercharger, I'm pretty sure I'd take him with those add-ons. Let me know what you think for some good first improvements. Thanks.
Old 9/1/04, 05:55 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Considering the exhaust is 2.5" mandrel-bent from the factory, there is no point getting a full exhaust for the car. Your best bet would be headers and muffers (if there are any small power gains via mufflers).

As for the top end, a CAI will help out, as will pulleys and larger MAF/TB.

A supercharger will be more complex than before because the computer will be tougher to crack.
Old 9/1/04, 05:58 PM
V6 Member

I owned an 02 WRX - they are sweet - but I saw and fell in love with the new Stang last winter at the Pittsburgh Auto Show. I traded it in for a car for the wife and I'm waiting until the spring to start looking at Stangs.

If your buddy has a "stage 2" kit - he'll be pretty fast. The kit consist of a full exhaust - up-pipe (used in single turbo boxer engines) - and a revised CPU and a few other bits that may add a few ponies.

These are usually good for around 290HP or so. With AWD - he'll smoke you off the launch. 0-60 will be around 4.7 or so and the quarter mile will be in the low 13s (maybe around 13.2x). Not bad for $2k in mods. Plus the car handles well and will NOT get stuck in the snow.

The trannies in the WRX stink - if you abuse it - it WILL break. STi trannies are a whole other story. They can handle upwards of 450 HP. If he has another $4K - he can drop one og those in.

The aftermarket on the WRXs is crazy - I haven't really seen it that much on the Stangs. YOu can drop another $2k and upgrade the fuel system and turbo - you'll be looking at 325-330HP on an AWD car!!!!!

I'd really like to see an extra 50-75 HP out of the Stang....what can I do to make this happen - and I'd really like to stay away from a blower. Anybody!!!???!!!!

DISCLAIMER - I'm not hatin' on the Stang when putting it up against a WRX - it's just that I know a lot about that car and I'm just sharing the knowledge. Keep in mind - I did trade mine in already!!!!

peace out!

P.S. - couple of other facts for the debate....I'm quoting crank HP numbers.....the WRX is probably around 250 lbs. lighter......stock, the car has 227HP and 217 ft/lbs torque...... the thing I really didn't like was that the stock car started to run out of lungs around 100 mph and you could really feel it over 110.....for the record - I had mine up to about 130 mph (once).
Old 9/1/04, 06:04 PM
GT Member

I would wait until the computer is cracked, that is where the most power gains will be gained from. Without using Nitrous Oxide, or Forced Induction!
Old 9/1/04, 06:04 PM
Cobra Member

Haven't seen many aftermarket parts for stangs?

WHAT?

The Mustang has to be the number one vehicle for aftermarket parts. There are SO many companies that sell anything you can imagine for the Mustang. Just give them a few months, and there will be hundreds of mods you can do to the new stang.

And I'm skeptical about that 282 hp. Seeing as they're at 227 hp from the factory, that's a huge jump with just a chip and exhaust work.

Let him beat you... he's still driving an Impreza.
Old 9/1/04, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yea pulleys,CAI and headers. Everything else will have to wait till the computer is figured out. Weight loss would be good but you need to lose about 150lbs before you make significant gains. I want a S/C Vortech or Procharger 50%-80% improvement. 450+hp :w00t:
edit: Without S/C to get 50-75hp pulleys,long tube headers,CAI will get you close to 50 but a chip reprogramer which might take a year or two to come out will get you there.
Old 9/1/04, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bobdobolina@September 1, 2004, 5:36 PM

Clint
Yeah their quick but people look like dorks driving them. I think they are fugly. besides I would blow up a 4 banger in a week !!!!!!. :flame2:
Old 9/1/04, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Dr. Ivan - don't be suspicous of the HP number.....when you free up the exhaust - you can run a lot more boost. (boost = power)

You're only upping the total boost number a few PSI - but you are running the higher boost closer to the redline. Stock - the boost tapers like a ****** as your RPMs climb (OEM programming the CPU - incase you use 87 octane, etc...)
Old 9/1/04, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Exacty A-Rex. My '92 Talon came stock w/ 195 hp and exhaust, intake, upper intercooler piping and upping the boost from 10psi to 15psi and I'm at around 250HP. Easily hit mid to upper 13's in the 1/4. The Mitsu Evo has the same engine just a larger turbo, boost and a couple other things that are better...especially clutch. Never underestimate a lawnmower w/ a hairdryer guys . I could do $3k more mods to my Talon and easily be in the 12's but, I'm in love with the '05 Mustang GT and want the torque and rumble of a V8....my first one....YAY!
Old 9/1/04, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

As for the top end, a CAI will help out, as will pulleys and larger MAF/TB.
Forgive my ignorance (I'm a newbie) but what in the world do the above abbreveations stand for????
Old 9/1/04, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I DO know that a CAI is Cold Air Intake. I'll have to think about the others.
Old 9/1/04, 06:41 PM
I Have Admin Envy

MAF = Mass Airflow Sensor
TB = Throttle Body

Quick Reply: 05 Mustang GT vs. 02 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan