2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

'05 Engine Compartment Sonic Blue Paint Defect?

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/05, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '05 in Sonic Blue is not painted theroughly in the engine compartment. Shock towers, hood and mating sheet metal has yellow primer/sealer (?) showing through, even under the gas cap hinge. I have examined all the other colors at a recent mustang show and none had the anything like it. I went to the dealer and he showed me another Sonic Blue '05 with the "defect" in the same exact places. How do I find out where the car was manufactured, and if any other Sonic Blue '05s had this problem from other plants? What to do?
Old 5/3/05, 03:26 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

rrobello's black GT has the same thing under his hood. He took off the liner, and its a green color... I think they saved a ton of money on that paint.
Old 5/3/05, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Less paint means the car is lighter.

Old 5/4/05, 06:56 AM

Any of these "lemon cars" built in Flat Rock?
Hey guys, I'm 46 years old, my hobby is cars, I've worked on cars and bikes since I was in 7th grade. I am 3rd generation Ford. I work on em for my family and friends all makes and models, I've restored (resto-mod) a 66 coupe (289), rolling resto on a 90GT (R.I.P.) and another 90 that is being built up now with its' motor going to a 93 Ranger. I am no more than a lifetime shadetree. All I'm tring to say is I've been around cars all my life and I've have never seen anything like this in my life! Furthermore it is un- well unacceptable. I don't think I am going to get far neither does my dealer, but I am seeing a Ford rep next week. That will not be the end of this. I value my money and 29000 is a lot of doe for a car full of defects (CD player so far 4 weeks waiting). I call it a defect because if it wasn't ALL the cars off the line would be this way. And if the engine compartment didn't mean anything they would have slapped undercoating on it! For gods sake, pick any of the cheesiest cars and its painted completely let alone a Mustang! Needless to say I am very dissappointed with Ford and what they have done to us, on a multitude of levels. But we keep coming back and that's what they bank on. I don't like being played a fool! I might miss my sonic blue, I hope I don't have to miss my 05, but sometimes you have to make a stand.
My son (where did I go wrong, or did I) recently bought a rice burner (built in the US), every time he stops in the dealership (not for service, to visit, it is kind of a family) they top him off with fuel, they have cookouts raffles prizes etc, kind of corny but it just an example of good bussiness practices. All I am tring to do is get them to do what is right!
I could stand on a soap box and talk for hours, sorry for babaling, and it was really hard not to use profanity.

Making Enemies...
6690stang
Old 5/4/05, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

All '05 Mustangs are assembled at Flat Rock, MI.

I had a '97 Ranger (Dark Green) that had paint so thin in the engine compartment that I could see primer underneath. The dealer said they couldn't do anything about it. I tried Ford customer service directly and got nowhere with them either. They told me to contact my dealer! :bang: It turned out to be very reliable mechanically, however.

I checked out my GT VERY carefully before I took delivery as I've learned that Ford (at the corporate level) cares nothing about customer service after the sale. Having a solid realtionship with a competent dealership service department seems to be essential if you buy a new Ford product. The trick is finding one!

What to do? As far as I know, paint is a warranty issue. If your selling dealership won't help you, try another one. You might hint that if you are pleased with the way they handle this matter that you plan to have your vehicle serviced there in the future and see if that helps. I hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 8/22/05, 05:40 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 6690stangs@May 3, 2005, 5:15 PM
My '05 in Sonic Blue is not painted theroughly in the engine compartment. Shock towers, hood and mating sheet metal has yellow primer/sealer (?) showing through, even under the gas cap hinge. I have examined all the other colors at a recent mustang show and none had the anything like it. I went to the dealer and he showed me another Sonic Blue '05 with the "defect" in the same exact places. How do I find out where the car was manufactured, and if any other Sonic Blue '05s had this problem from other plants? What to do?

Yes! Mine is the exact same way :bang:... How did you make out?
Go Hereread my complaint.
Old 9/30/05, 09:04 AM

I have an 05 GT and have the same type of problem with paint on the under side of the trunk lid. I would think it would be fixable under the warranty.
Old 9/30/05, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd freak out. You paid for a painted car, not a partially painted car. Threaten to return it, see what happens then.
Old 9/30/05, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

My paints a little thin in some of those places, but I ain't givin it up for nuthin . As near as I can tell, all of the visible stuff is fine, the worst I've seen is around the door hinges. Even my focus paint job puts it to shame.