2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

05 Best MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/05, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's best when it is spring time here in PA, only about 68 degrees, not too hot or cold just perfect*. Forget it in the summer, too darn hot!! Anything above 95 degrees - - - A/C here I come!!

Matt
Old 3/21/05, 05:28 PM
GT Member

[QUOTE] average 25.5-26.0, mostly highway. On the interstate today, I set the cruise @70, punched it up to 85 a couple of times to pass, and averaged 29.2 mpg over 185 miles. Had a real good tailwind, though.... [/ QUOTE] Wow! you got a good car. I'm averaging 21 MPG and I'm doing mostly highway trip. Maybe it will be better this summer...
Old 3/21/05, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@March 21, 2005, 4:40 PM
I just want you to know that I'm not trying to flame you (accadian & awmustang), I just thought I'd pass on knowledge of this aera of automobiles as I do have some knowledge. As for the link, I believe on the Discovery Channel (Mythbusters) they ran 2 Explorers with the same amount of gas one @ 55mph, one with windows open and one with A/C turned on. The Explorer with the A/C on ran out of gas while the opened windowed Explorer ran about 25 more miles.

Matt
The mythbusters test was not a very good one. They used two different vehicles (expeditions) for the test. One using AC and the other with the windows down. Why is that wrong? Well, even though the vehicles were the same make/model/year...

How close was the milage?
Was the frond end allignment the same?
powertrian in the same shape?
Tire pressure?
A/C charge?

All of the above can have a significant effect in fuel efficiency.

Another problem I have is that they ran the AC as high as it would go. They guy had a coat on it was so cold in there. No one would practically run their AC at that rate. Running it at a lower level causes the compressor to cycle less. The compressor isn't running constantly.

If you want me to buy that test, run it twice with each vehicle switching roles and run the AC at a reasonable rate.

I still don't buy that AC uses more gas. I'd like to see some proven facts, not claims of knowledge.
Old 3/21/05, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

, you think that in a vigorous test all of those procedures would be taken into consideration. We are not talking about the degree of air comming out of the vents. Basically just if the condensor and evaporator are ON. I have facts, not links, I would like a link to show that the A/C does not take away more gasoline. Think about it simplistically - turning on something that doesn't needed to be turned on, needed energy to supply that mechanical device.

Matt
Old 3/21/05, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@March 21, 2005, 7:18 PM
, you think that in a vigorous test all of those procedures would be taken into consideration. We are not talking about the degree of air comming out of the vents. Basically just if the condensor and evaporator are ON. I have facts, not links, I would like a link to show that the A/C does not take away more gasoline. Think about it simplistically - turning on something that doesn't needed to be turned on, needed energy to supply that mechanical device.

Matt
The degree of the air is a factor. The colder the setting, the more the comressor runs. The warmer, the less it runs. Oddly enough, the first test they ran was with a computer hooked into the vehicle and it showed a better mpg with the ac on than with the window down.

Not flaming anyone here as much as I am that TV show...whick I normally love but that episode somehow pissed me off. Man, I have issues...
Old 3/21/05, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

The AC does use more gas, but so does having the windows down.
Old 3/21/05, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let's come to a general conclusion, both the A/C and riding with windows down @ highway speeds do contribute to the loss of gas milage. Which one contributes more?? Leave it to the statistics.

Matt
Old 3/21/05, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm mostly city driving and I can barley get 13 MPG, but I dont give a darn cause I didnt buy a mustang to get good milage but rather to enjoy the ride and power
Old 3/21/05, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jwede@March 21, 2005, 7:24 PM
The AC does use more gas, but so does having the windows down.
Myth busters did this one and concluded that windows down used alot more gas then AC on full, I always though it was the oppersit but they busted that myth
Old 3/21/05, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@March 21, 2005, 7:34 PM
Let's come to a general conclusion, both the A/C and riding with windows down @ highway speeds do contribute to the loss of gas milage. Which one contributes more?? Leave it to the statistics.

Matt
Agreed. 10 MPG in a Mustang GT is better than 40 MPG in anything else anyday!
Old 3/21/05, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Time for me to

Matt
Old 3/21/05, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Myth Busters are a Myth

That test they did was not done as well as most 8th grade science class project. They could not run at the speed they needed on the track and messed around, they are a waste of air time.

They have just as much of a chance of being right as flipping a coin.
Old 3/21/05, 09:04 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by davam1@March 19, 2005, 11:19 AM
Has anyone achieved 28mpg in HWY driving out there? Also, what are some ways to achieve better fuel economy? I understand the cars are tuned to burn richer out of the box. Is it just a matter of a retune, if one is concerned about this? Or are there some mods that can be made (cold air intake, etc..) to improve mpg?

Any info on this would be helpful. Running 87 certainly helps.
You could always trade it for a Prius.
Old 3/22/05, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@March 21, 2005, 7:18 PM

Matt
It took a while, but I found the link.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Arc...994/May/05.html

Though, some would say they have no more credibility than the Mythbusters. Either way, if you are truly worried about the gas mileage, drive with the windows closed AND the A/C off.
Old 3/22/05, 08:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AWmustang+March 22, 2005, 9:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ March 22, 2005, 9:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05WindveilGT@March 21, 2005, 7:18 PM

Matt

Though, some would say they have no more credibility than the Mythbusters. Either way, if you are truly worried about the gas mileage, drive with the windows closed AND the A/C off.
[/b][/quote]

And Don't buy a Mustang either!
Old 3/29/05, 07:48 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05WindveilGT+March 22, 2005, 11:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05WindveilGT @ March 22, 2005, 11:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by AWmustang@March 22, 2005, 9:14 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-05WindveilGT
@March 21, 2005, 7:18 PM

Matt

[/b][/quote]

That's it. After all this, I'm gettin a Humvee!!!
Old 3/29/05, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by davam1+March 29, 2005, 9:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davam1 @ March 29, 2005, 9:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@March 22, 2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by AWmustang@March 22, 2005, 9:14 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-05WindveilGT
@March 21, 2005, 7:18 PM

Matt

That's it. After all this, I'm gettin a Humvee!!!
[/b][/quote]

Oh god an upscale Tonka truck!! please nooo!! :notnice:

Matt
Old 3/30/05, 12:46 AM
GT Member

If you drive much much faster then you will be on the road for less time.

If you are on the road for less time then you will burn less Gas
Old 3/30/05, 01:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bah humbug. having to TRY to save a few bucks ruins the driving experience. gas is cheap here, even if it was $2.50 a gallon. My Focus SVT only averages about 20mpg and requires premium gas. Mustang GT's are misers. like was said earlier, if your'e worried about gas mileage, drive a prius, it only takes about 10 years to make up the extra cost of the car in gas saved over a well-equipped, safer, better handling standard-issue 05 Focus People worry about gas mileage, when it reaches the price of bottled French water I may get upset about it.
Old 3/30/05, 04:59 AM
GT Member

How are yall getting 26mpg? Im only a v-6 with about 850 miles getting 21? But then again my ranger got 15, so this is a big jump!

Quick Reply: 05 Best MPG?