2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

05-09 Rocks!! Disappointed in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/09, 02:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05-09 Rocks!! Disappointed in 2010

I hate to say it, but there is a brand spanking new GT500 here in the parking lot at work and I am totally turned off! The new body style just plain sucks in this application! I don't know about many of you, but as I look at the new GT500 I can't tell myself I would want to have that look ( it actually looks like a hatchbaclk from a certain angle!) Now I am still trying to scam body parts from a 05-09 GT500 which just sets the standard. What happened Ford? This new GT500 (and the whole 10 Mustang line) just smacks too much of Italy!

Bottom Line: the 05-09 Mustang may just become one of the all-time classic stangs thansk to this little fiasco...

Last edited by Darth Stang; 10/8/09 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10/8/09, 05:30 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I could not agree more...

the night of the 'reveal' on speed channel clinched it for me- called the dealer in the morning to order a 09- but they found the exact one I wanted 200 miles away, got employee pricing - shipping...same old car payment, same old car, so dont really even notice the 09 unless I walk thru the garage- its got 3.8 miles now from bi-weekly trips down the driveway, other than that its never been on the road yet- whenever the 06 finally dies/gets wrecked/stolen/whatever, theres a relpacement just like it waiting...if the 06 outlasts me the wife/kids will have a nice mustang to auction off- either way, think it was money well spent- what will a new V8 mustang cost in 5-10-20 years? if EVEN still available, it wont be a 22k car guaranteed.
Old 10/8/09, 05:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could NOT dissagree more... The car rocks! The rear could use some improvement, and there is info out there indicating that the 2011 will recieve some minor changes, but overall, the car is awesome- especially the GT500.
Old 10/8/09, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Heh, I think every generation of Mustang is highly resistant to the one that comes after it.

Personally, I think the 2010 GT500 looks amazing.
Old 10/8/09, 06:36 PM
Cobra Member

personally i think these hate threads are stupid. i call it being jealous whether any of you care to admit it or not.. if ya dont like it dont buy it, plain and simple so stop *****ing about it. how many hate threads has it been now?? come on, im sure theres better things to post about.
Old 10/8/09, 06:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the GT doesn't look as good.
The V6 looks as good or better.
The GT500 looks better.
My opinion.
Old 10/8/09, 06:48 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really do hate the new body style for 2010s. I bought my new 2009 during a trip to the dealer to buy a 2010 in grabber blue. When I got to the dealer I was turned off and bought my 2009. People keep saying they love the GT500's and I would have to agree the 2010 gt500 look much better then the normal mustang gt's. But thats the point. its a gt500 and you are paying $15,000 more.. that car should look $15,000 better.

But do not get me wrong. The interior is better and the line runing down the side is better. So far the motor is better. The rear is not what I enjoy seeing and the front butt doesnt make me anymore happy.
Old 10/8/09, 07:04 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
All you 2010 haters a just a bunch of baby's with small d***s. No one is allowed to dislike anything about the 2010. You are all just wasting space on this forum. Your ideas are not wanted here. I can't stop writing about how much this thread is a huge waste of time.

Old 10/8/09, 07:14 PM
GT Member

The new GT500 looks like a friggin Evo. Yuck.

Give the the new interior in an 08 Shelby and thats the car I'd want.
Old 10/8/09, 09:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by classix_stang289
personally i think these hate threads are stupid. i call it being jealous whether any of you care to admit it or not.. if ya dont like it dont buy it, plain and simple so stop *****ing about it. how many hate threads has it been now?? come on, im sure theres better things to post about.

things I like about the 2010:
1) the interior is beautiful looking, love the new steering wheel.

2) I 'like' the side profile- the hipline coulda been more pronounced, but woulda took a new roof to
really do so... definitely 'instantly recognizable as a Mustang' from the side.

3) I 'like' the frontend- but especially the V6 nose, followed by the GT, then GT500.

4) they upped the hp 5%...not a lot, but still moving in the right direction

5) glad to see sequentials comeback from the OEM.

things I hope to see on the next model:
1) a more traditional/classic mustanglike rearend:
A) three vertical lamps, all similar height
B) remote backup lights (seriously thinking of CNC milling out my taillamps and cutting a exact
red piece to replace it from a set of junkyard lenses, and gettting 69 like B/U bezels/lights)
C) easy on the black plastic- if its got to be there, make it a diffuser style, or something that
'flows' with the car.
D) squared off bumpers- I cant think of any mustangs with chamferred corners except for one
certain model that wasnt too warmly recieved.

2) more traditional hood styling creases- the old 'spear' shape works well with a lot of hood
scoops from shakers to ones that partially cover it.

3) lose the 'hockeystick' crease- it makes both 69 and 70 boss302 stripes not work as well as
they could...and both of those are very cool stripes that SCREAM 'mustang' . A lot more
striping options would open up without them

4) make SHR like or 67-ish quarter louvers available from the factory or standard.

5) bring back the 69/70 integral 'spoiler' in the quarters/trunklid

is that a better way to approach the 'new model' than a hate thread? probably...

I gotta say I really truly dont 'hate' the 2010, and Ford did a good job on it- but like the 2004, it just didnt call out to me. the 2005? I cant recall reading any negative comments about that when it came out...I'm sure there were some somewhere, but I never saw any...yes theres a lot of things on the 05-09 that I wish were better, but the basic shapes/curves/lines are all good enough to score a 9 or better on most folks mustang meter even back in 2005 when it was the new kid on the block...the 2010 is still a great looking car- but I bet if polled the number would be a click or so in the wrong direction in a large enough sampling...even the best have room for improvement, but I just didnt get that with the 10- except for the interior, which is a HUGE improvement lookswise.

to me, my 2010 comments were put up in hopes Ford hears them- I *think* everyone else is probably in the same boat...not *****ing just to *****, but in hopes maybe ford might see a trend of opinions from some of the Mustangs enthusiasts that they woulda liked to see something better in their own eyes...with car sales/design tastes, I still think 'majority rules' is a philosophy Ford might follow...if theres a trend to pick at any one aspect of the car, maybe they will look at changing it to more be inline with public opinion for the next 'new' reskin...that said, i personally highly doubt the 2014 will come with tapered taillamps and integral backups on a chamferred bumper, but equally highly believe the 2010 interior design will not be changed too much, as its been very well accepted as a improvement...
If they keep the rearend and change the interior dramatically, then someone at Ford hasnt had their ear to the ground at all. the 2010 is a great car, and it looks great- but theres always those of us that want more.

as far as 'jealous', I dont personally know if that fits us all...like in 74 I doubt many 69-73 owners were 'jealous' as much as brokenhearted...NO IM NOT comparing the 10 to the 74 in any way, just trying to make a point...lets just hope and pray that the 2014 isnt a 74-ish scale of 'upgrade'... these days anything could happen.

I'm hoping for a car better looking than a 69(my fave) or a 05(my 2nd fave), if it is, great, but if its not I'll still wish it was and ***** about it- hoping someday yet Ford will build a even more perfect version sooner or later... cant help it- but I dont think 'jealous' fits in at least half the comments Ive read- sure some might just be upset because their new mustang aint new anymore, but I do firmly believe in 20 years if this old planets still spinnin and burning gasoline in cars, the 2005-2009 will be more like the 69-70 years and the 2010-2013 will be more like the 65-68 or 71-73 years...still a 'classic' with a very large following, but I think a few percent more would go for the 69-70...know what I mean? all those 65-73 years were awesome cars, but styling wise, certain models seem to have a bigger following...

now the 2010 is here, its not to say ford wont change little things like lights/bumpers before the next 'all new' version in '14- now if the 11/12/13 gets a few tweaks its entirely possible that I'll like it better than a 69 fastback- now thats what I'm hoping for...another new car that I WANT to buy, even if I dont need it/cant afford it. Getting folks passionate about cars is IMO Ford stylings #1 goal- but sometimes it seems they just change stuff to change stuff...

the 05-09 was one of those 'gotta have it' cars to me (three of those in our case), I hope I live long enough to see another mustang that I like even better- then I'll be jealous and proudly say so and thank Ford, even if I cant have one
for Ford to know what enthusiasts would 'like' to see or what they 'wont like to see' they need to read up on the love/hate comments, and weigh their choices of direction on next updates...
obviously to me in the general concensus, the 2010 interior is a well documented/accepted improvement over 2009, the 74 notchback faded into oblivion for the most part...even a 'car of the year' like the 74 can get 'old' pretty quick in the majority of shoppers 'want' lists.

I do hope ford heard the comments on the 10 yea and nea, and act accordingly in where the mustang goes from here...fix the things that werent home runs, and tweak SLIGHTLY the great stuff, but dont muck it all up with a big change if folks generally love it the way it is. Just pray they dont slap the corporate tri-bar grill and 'one-too-many-facelift' stretched back headlights on the mustang like they tended to do across the board a while back.

Last edited by ford4v429; 10/8/09 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10/8/09, 09:34 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A friend of mine just picked up his 2010 today. Georgous. Candy Apple w/ Saddle GT, Track Pack.

Would I trade my car for it? No.

Would I knock his car? Not at all.

The back end is growing on me, and looks better on the GT than V6. I'll take a 2010 GT rear end over a 2009 v6 front end.

Seeing it in person, I'm really impressed w/ it. There's a lot of things to like about the 2010. The only thing not to like, IMO, is it's loss of 'retro' feel that made the 2005 such a hit.
Old 10/8/09, 09:37 PM
I lust for a M24

Crap Tim, no way I can read all that.

BTW - He and I pulled into the Canal Fulton Domino's Pizza parking lot - my 05GT and his '10GT, and a 08ish Pony Package was parked right there. As he's leaving, a 06ish GT pulls out from down at Midwest Gun Club. I've never seen 4 S197's in a single parking lot unless it's at a Mustang Show of Ford Dealer. Too bad it was nighttime and raining.
Old 10/8/09, 09:40 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Raining

Should have taken the Jeep.
Old 10/8/09, 09:44 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Raining

Should have taken the Jeep.
I normally would, believe me, but I'll be washing the car soon to put it away for winter. (that whole snow and salt thing we get up here)

I pulled up his driveway and the first thing he says is "Holy ****! Your car's getting wet."

I was just overly excited for him to get his new car.
Old 10/9/09, 02:24 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the 2010 V6 front end is the best looking of them all. Its a little GT500-ish. The GT500 itself isn't a hit with me, the front or rear end. Its just not my style, though I do like a lot of the upgrades Ford did for the 2010. Exterior aesthetics are good in the front and eh in the back. The interior was well done, except for a few things, which once again just aren't my style. Overall, its not enough to make me want to trade in my car, but once that Coyote comes out I think I could live with a rear end that(IMO) looks like it needs braces because the tail light lights are spaced too far due to the reverse lighting.
Old 10/9/09, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

The 05 made such a splash with its throwback design. The 10 has a completly different personality to me. I even tried to photoshop the 18" chrome OEM bullitt style rims that were on my 09 on my 10 and it did not work at all. This is a more modern design but that's ok with me.
Old 10/9/09, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like mine (05) more...only cause I have it. I like the 10 but it does not have enough changes to it on the exterior to make me want one. I really like the interior though. But the 10 GT500 is freakin awesome!!!!
Old 10/9/09, 07:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yawn.

Retro fans will be more attracted to the 05-09. People with tendencies toward Euro cars and modern touches will probably lean more toward the 2010.

I like the 2010, but not everything about it (cheapy black trim is my pet peeve on ANY car).
Old 10/9/09, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. Like the 2010 GT500, dislike the GT.. But the fact remains the 05-09 WILL become one the great classic mustang eras. The sales proved this and the future will reflect this. Hold on to your 05-09's people. You will thank me someday if you do

Originally Posted by karman
I think the GT doesn't look as good.
The V6 looks as good or better.
The GT500 looks better.
My opinion.
Old 10/9/09, 07:27 AM

I agree with BlueSkyVert, us old timers...I mean retro fans... see the late 60's mustang in the S197.
The 2010s seem sleeker, more European as has been stated.

All I know is at the last oil change, they parked my 07 a few spaces from a 2010. When I came out to leave, customers were looking in the windows of my 07. The 2010, not so much.

Quick Reply: 05-09 Rocks!! Disappointed in 2010