2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

03-04 bmw z4 VS 05-09 mustang GT convertible??

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/13, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03-04 bmw z4 VS 05-09 mustang GT convertible??

Hi, all. This is first time to post on this website.

Ive had 05 mustang V6 last year. However, I was involved accident that kind a big accident, my stang was totally totaled in that happen. Since then , I am working hard to get mustang again.

Finally I just refill my budget again, and looking for nice mustang. someday, one of my friend tell me about bmw z4. I am still learning z4 but I think mustang forum is best way to decide between 03-04 z4 and 05-07 mustang gt convertible.

what u guys think?

ps Im pretty big, im little worried with z4 driver seat.
Old 11/16/13, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
mustang of course! A GT
Old 11/16/13, 08:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
My thoughts

The Z4 is a nice car. It is smaller outside and in.
The Z4 will cost more, so what do you get?
The older Z4s are slower than a V8 4.6L even though they weigh less.
The Z4 can corner a little better.
The Z4 costs a lot more to fix.
I chose a 2004 Mustang convertible which is smaller than the 2005+ cars, but it is still larger than the Z4.
The guy I bought my Mustang from started looking at Z4s too.
He decided the cost was too much. I think he wishes he hadn't sold his Mustang to me.
Old 11/17/13, 01:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

A buddy of mine has a Z4, I forget what year it is though. I think it's newer than an '03 or '04 though. He's about 6'0 or 6'1 and fits in the car just fine, but it is cramped. I let him sit in my Bullitt and he said, "man I feel like a king in this car!" He said you can't see out the quarter windows at all, but it's a nice car (the Z4). More expensive to maintain and a little slower than a GT, but more nimble obviously. It's also a very girly car. I see younger/attractive/rich looking girls driving Z4 convertibles all the time here in California. The Mustang is a much more manly choice...if that matters to you at all.
Old 11/17/13, 08:54 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,056 Likes on 661 Posts
I owned a 2002 Z3 for many years, the last model year before the Z4 came out in 2003. You would think BMW would get all the kinks out of a model that was born in 1996. Wrong! While the car was an absolute delight to drive with incredible cornering and handling, the issues that develop just nickel and dime you to death. It wasn't like I had a higher mileage car either. It was a one owner with just 13,000 miles when I purchased it. The engine and tranny were always flawless in the car and never an issue. Everything else? Cheaply built, right from the pathetic Harman Kardon radio to the water based paint. The dash idiot lights are numerous and the sensors built into these cars is overkill. Something is always popping up. I swear I will never buy another used BMW that isn't under warranty. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat as long as it was under factory warranty which I believe is 4 or 5 years now. The repairs are very expensive too. With the model year Z4 you are thinking about I would hold up a big warning sign. Both the Z3 and Z4 were built in South Carolina with the engines and trannies being shipped over from Germany. Sad to say, I don't have much faith in the American plant. I saw who was working the assembly lines on a tour there once. I won't comment further.
As you can see I now own an '07 GT/CS which is so much better than my Z3. You can't imagine how nice it is to crank the key on the Mustang and not see idiot lights flashing or something else needing attention.
Here is my Z3 back in the day when I went through my German phase. You'll notice which car I kept over the years before I purchased my GT and SS. German stuff is just too expensive despite the incredible driving machines they are.
Attachment 148788

Last edited by NC14GT; 10/3/14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11/17/13, 10:17 AM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mustang,looks better too.

RedGt
Old 11/17/13, 10:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I owned a 2002 Z3 for many years, the last model year before the Z4 came out in 2003. You would think BMW would get all the kinks out of a model that was born in 1996. Wrong! While the car was an absolute delight to drive with incredible cornering and handling, the issues that develop just nickel and dime you to death. It wasn't like I had a higher mileage car either. It was a one owner with just 13,000 miles when I purchased it. The engine and tranny were always flawless in the car and never an issue. Everything else? Cheaply built, right from the pathetic Harman Kardon radio to the water based paint. The dash idiot lights are numerous and the sensors built into these cars is overkill. Something is always popping up. I swear I will never buy another used BMW that isn't under warranty. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat as long as it was under factory warranty which I believe is 4 or 5 years now. The repairs are very expensive too. With the model year Z4 you are thinking about I would hold up a big warning sign. Both the Z3 and Z4 were built in South Carolina with the engines and trannies being shipped over from Germany. Sad to say, I don't have much faith in the American plant. I saw who was working the assembly lines on a tour there once. I won't comment further. As you can see I now own an '07 GT/CS which is so much better than my Z3. You can't imagine how nice it is to crank the key on the Mustang and not see idiot lights flashing or something else needing attention. Here is my Z3 back in the day when I went through my German phase. You'll notice which car I kept over the years before I purchased my GT and SS. German stuff is just too expensive despite the incredible driving machines they are.
My German phase wasn't in as nice a set of cars as yours but I totally agree. The parts are expensive and it just seems harder to diagnose. I had the brembo brake pads changed at the dealer and it wasn't so cheap I almost cried.
Old 11/17/13, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was considering buying an '01 Porsche 911 after my first Mustang, but the cost of upkeep turned me away. I could have easily afforded the car, but if anything ever went wrong with it, I would have been screwed.
Old 11/17/13, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrp5150
I was considering buying an '01 Porsche 911 after my first Mustang, but the cost of upkeep turned me away. I could have easily afforded the car, but if anything ever went wrong with it, I would have been screwed.
911 is badass. And also super highly maintain cost..
Old 11/17/13, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jisoo Park
911 is badass. And also super highly maintain cost..
Yeah, I test drove the one I was interested in and it was a ton of fun. I was surprised how much faster it felt compared to my GT. Really throws you back in the seat. I can't even imagine how powerful the new ones are. Also the driving feel is really interesting with the engine being in the rear.