1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Yes, another Timing Adjuster question

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/05, 07:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the repeat of the topic just still confused on the whole matter. From my sig you can see what I have done to my car currently. I proposed the Timing Adjuster to the performance shop that does my work and did not recomend it cause I had the chip tune upgrade. Now I can't remember what was all done on the chip since it has been well over a year now. Can the Timing be adjusted through the chip upgrade?

All I know is that I have read the threads on here about Timing Adjusters and in Mustang mags and see that people are using them and getting gains but not really saying if the timing adjuster is related the chip tune.

Can someone help me understand this so I can figure out what to do. I am trying to get all I can from bolt ons by next summer as I am very sure I am doing a Head/Cam package.

Thanks guys/gals

I moved this cause I think I put it in the wrong section.
Old 7/20/05, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes, timing can be, and usually is adjusted when having a performance chip burned. Chips net performance gains by doing only one or two things. They change timing (either up or down depending on rpm and load) or they make you air / fuel ratio more rich or lean. Of coarse there is alot more to burning a chip that has to be taken into account, IE engine load and rpms, but that is what a chip does on a very basic level.

A timing adjuster just sets your base timing. Your eec takes to parameters from the engine sensors, ie rpm, maf, tps, and adds timing to the base. If your chip is burned off of a 10 degree base timing then adjusting to the base timing will amplify the amount of timing added by the chip. In other words, your eec has been altered to add timing, but off of a 10 degree base. So by upping the base timing, you therefore up the total amount of timing.

Timing adjusters were actually made so that timing could be adjusted without having a chip burned.
Old 7/20/05, 10:48 AM
V6 Member

So if I understand you correctly, is that the Timing Adjuster, for the most part, helps the timing that was already adjusted through the chip tune. I am pretty sure I understand exactly what you are explaining. If my timing with the chip tune is at 10 and by adding a Timing adjuster to adjust the base timing to allow the cpu to amplify that instead of the stock timing and getting the timing then to around 14, wich seems to be the norm, I should pick up a little power correct? Timing Adjuster are fairly inexpensive so it probably wouldn't hurt to put one on and play with at the dyno. Thanks, that was the best explanation I have come across on my searches.

Jason

When I get it on there and tune it, I will post the numbers.
Old 7/20/05, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gnatsum265@July 20, 2005, 10:51 AM
So if I understand you correctly, is that the Timing Adjuster, for the most part, helps the timing that was already adjusted through the chip tune. I am pretty sure I understand exactly what you are explaining. If my timing with the chip tune is at 10 and by adding a Timing adjuster to adjust the base timing to allow the cpu to amplify that instead of the stock timing and getting the timing then to around 14, wich seems to be the norm, I should pick up a little power correct? Timing Adjuster are fairly inexpensive so it probably wouldn't hurt to put one on and play with at the dyno. Thanks, that was the best explanation I have come across on my searches.

Jason

When I get it on there and tune it, I will post the numbers.
Yes that is the basic idea. Except for the fact that total timing can end up being as much as 25 to 30 degrees depending on rpms, load, and other factors. So say the eec (which in this case has a chip) tells the car to add 15 degrees to the base timing at 3000 rpms, then instead of adding it to the base timing of 10 degrees it adds it to the base timing that has been set by your timing adjuster. On a 4.6 the chip should be based on what ever the stock base timing is since there isnt anyway to change it like on the 5.0s.

This is the way I understand things, but let me say I am by no means an expert on how the eec works. Just be carefull if you are gonna run a timing adjuster and chip, because detonation can lead to very bad things for the engine.
Old 7/20/05, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh yea, and by all means if you are going to start upping timing, by all means run nothing but premium fuel. Low octane gas and alot of timing is definitely a bad combo.
Old 7/21/05, 10:29 AM
V6 Member

Yeah, I have been running premium fuel ever since the first mods cause I started hearing some knocking noise, wich was new to me. I quickly starting putting premium in and it went away. I am just looking for the Timing Adjuster to help, not really looking for a big HP gain. But advancing the timing just a little along with the other bolt-ons it should work really good.

Why I am trying to get this info is cause my next mod upgrades is going to consist of Intake Manifold, Electric Water Pump, Timing Adjuster, and Aluminum Driveshaft. Since I am doing all that, I am hoping the Timing Adjuster will help out the chip tunes performance since I will need that with these mods. Getting the car ready for a Heads/Cam package come income tax returns next year

Again, thanks for the imput. Very helpfull!

Jay