1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

What to do?!

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/14, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do?!

#1 *
Today 2:38 PM by BacusJason
I'm in need of advice. I have an 02 GT. 4.6l 2V n/a bone stock other than exhaust an I'm not sure exactly what exhaust. Fired a plug out the head threads an all, attempted to repair via insert. Went too deep. Piston crushed insert scuffed top center of piston. It will be daily driven until snow. But I need to know, what's best bang for my buck on about a $4000 budget come September? Rebuild stock heads? Want a mild street cam. Or go trick flow twisted heads? I have brand New intake(OEM) . New bbk under drive pulleys . I think with a scuffed piston might need rebuilt? 132000miles motor was strong til plug fired out. Not sure what to do? Crate motor
Old 6/10/14, 09:46 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would imagine the piston is probably ok as long as its just scuffed and not cracked or anything. You will probably need a new head however, I dont think having it rebuilt would repair it. As far as what to get, thats up to you but on that budget I would go trick flow heads and a cam for sure.
Old 6/10/14, 11:33 AM

Right on. Thanks! Naked eye appears to be only a scuff on piston. I'm amateur though....also, by chance any cam suggestions an will it need flashed, high volume fuel pump, bigger injectors etc?

Last edited by BacusJason; 6/10/14 at 11:34 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 6/10/14, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I would get a set of rebuilt heads from Odessa. They sell on fleebay and I'm sure they have their own website. When I was rebuilding my 2k gt I searched for all sorts of mods and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth spending the cash for the very few poinies you will get from your cash.
Old 6/10/14, 03:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I would get a set of rebuilt heads from Odessa. They sell on fleebay and I'm sure they have their own website. When I was rebuilding my 2k gt I searched for all sorts of mods and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth spending the cash for the very few poinies you will get from your cash.
How much? That just puts it back to OEM right? I was planning on the TF heads and upper intake too, paired with an intake spacer, JLT CAI and TF TB. That should be good for about 290rwhp by itself...
Old 6/11/14, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BacusJason
Right on. Thanks! Naked eye appears to be only a scuff on piston. I'm amateur though....also, by chance any cam suggestions an will it need flashed, high volume fuel pump, bigger injectors etc?
For the cam, I would call up comp cams, tell them your goals and have them custom grind one for you. Cost about the same as buying a generic one. Your fuel system should be able to handle heads, but a svt focus fuel pump is a good upgrade and good to about 500hp if I remember correctly. If it were me, I would get it dyno tuned but you don't necessarily need to.

Originally Posted by laserred38

How much? That just puts it back to OEM right? I was planning on the TF heads and upper intake too, paired with an intake spacer, JLT CAI and TF TB. That should be good for about 290rwhp by itself...
I've seen rebuilt heads for around 400 bucks or so, but yes its just stock replacement. TF would be the way to go IMHO.
Old 6/11/14, 10:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
For 4K or So I would get a new crate engine. You get warranty and all. You can even get a short block for less. My 2Cents
Old 6/11/14, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
For 4K or So I would get a new crate engine. You get warranty and all. You can even get a short block for less. My 2Cents
You can, but not a mod motor, and if you can it'd still stock equivalent. Of there's nothing wrong with your original short block, why not upgrade some stuff?
Old 6/11/14, 10:51 PM
V6 Member

If you are crafty enough, you could buy a written off rear ended '11-'14 Mustang GT for 4 grand from an auction, pull the motor and tranny, sell the rest as a parts car and use that cash to buy the control pack from late model restoration and all the other little odds and ends you need for the engine swap. Then a solid weekend and some beers later... 420hp!
Old 6/11/14, 11:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by The Mad Dooby
If you are crafty enough, you could buy a written off rear ended '11-'14 Mustang GT for 4 grand from an auction, pull the motor and tranny, sell the rest as a parts car and use that cash to buy the control pack from late model restoration and all the other little odds and ends you need for the engine swap. Then a solid weekend and some beers later... 420hp!
A coyote swap is not as easy as it sounds in a SN95. A 4.6 3v would actually be easier. And funny there's one for sale in the For Sale section here!
Old 6/12/14, 06:48 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by The Mad Dooby
Please find me one of those for 4 grand. The motor and trans is worth 10k and they know it. Trust me, it's something I want to do, they're not cheap.
Old 6/12/14, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Please find me one of those for 4 grand. The motor and trans is worth 10k and they know it. Trust me, it's something I want to do, they're not cheap.
yup not cheap at all
Old 6/12/14, 07:39 AM
V6 Member

Friend of mine actually did buy one for 4 grand. And pulled the motor and tranny. Then sold the rest for parts. I would completely agree that a 4.6 3v swap would be easier And cheaper. I was just being a smart *** if I find anything i'll be sure to post it. I'd keep an eye on salvage auctions. Look at cars that are complete losses, as most people are looking for something that can be repaired to make quick cash.

Last edited by The Mad Dooby; 6/12/14 at 04:05 PM.
Old 6/14/14, 07:41 PM

If you have 4grand to spend, and want to get the most value, go check out Modular Motorsports Racing. They will rebuild your motor for a great price and you will get the RWHP your looking for. They have several price categories to fit all budgets. We use their products exclusively and have never had a problem.