1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Want to improve stock GT

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/07, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to improve stock GT

Here's a wide open topic for discussion. I really like the all-stock aspect of my new (to me) 2003 GT Vert, but I would like to enhance it in the areas of performance (hp), efficiency (gas mileage) and appearance. Cost is a concern (got to convince the wife that it's a worthwhile expense) and to say I know next to nothing about mechanical stuff isn't far from the truth (though I do have a mechanic who would like to work on the car for me). Also, with only 9000 miles on it, I'm a long way away from needing to change anything but the oil; but I can't help think there are things I can upgrade to improve how it runs. What do you say?

First - Oil & Filter: What's the best for an everyday driver (with the occasional need to show off what it can do)?
So far, I've heard Mobil 1 Synthetic or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is best, or maybe Royal Purple. And a Motorcraft filter.

Next - Fuel Filter: Would anything more than what would come with a routine service be recommended?

Air Filter: I've already removed the air silencer. I assume the next step would be something like a K&N filter. It looks like a Ram Air Intake or a Cold Air Intake would be next. JLT's CAI gets good recommendations. Then I'd really like to add a Ram Air Shaker Hood Scoop someday (yeah, I know, that's far from stock for a GT).

General engine: Would replacing plugs, plug wires, fuel delivery or anything else improve performance and/or fuel mileage enough to make them worth considering? (This might even be a good place to start dressing it up a bit. I think anodized blue engine parts would accent the Sonic Blue body rather well.)

More blue: Moving to the appearance category, I'd really like to replace the headlight and fog light lamps with something bright blue/white. Any comments? Then I think one of those Reverse Glow Gauge Face Plates would look really cool at night.

Finally, Tires: My idea of good looking rubber is something fatter and taller than what's on there now (245/45ZR17's) - at least in the back. I understand those wheel wells will hold up to a 19" tire, so why not let them? I don't want to lose my Bullitt rims though. As for driving conditions: no snow, heavy rain sometimes and everything from interstates to narrow, shoulderless country roads. So a smooth ride is good, but excellent control is paramount. I would think the larger the footprint you can put down, the better. But, how big a tire can I put on those rims? Would better suspension help as well?

Let's hear from the collective expertise of the forum.
Old 9/17/07, 06:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know if you just buy...say a JLT CAI and an Xcal2 tuner you can get ~ 20 rwhp & TQ and get about 5 mpg better.but some of that may be inaccurate.
i also want to do the shaker hood. I want to buy a mach 1 hood though
Old 9/17/07, 08:51 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you wanna go faster, best bang for buck is a Supercharger kit.

Wanna make better noise, add a cataback.

Apperience I like the clean look. mach 1 chin spoiler, mach 1 grill delete.
I honestly wouldn't go any bigger then 18" rims. I think they look better and tire prices are like half of what 19" are since 18 are 100x more common then 19".
Old 9/17/07, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Don't listen to chris, he drives a focus...

Some of the best cost friendly mods you can do are catback, cai, and a tune. All can be bought for under $1k (depending on brands) and improves the car's breathing, sound, performance, and look.
Old 9/17/07, 09:55 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Before the CAI i would do the upper intake plenum. That is were the resriction is.

Also off road x or h pipe really helps the flow to get rid of the 4 cats depending on how tough the emission regluations are where you live. But even if you have testing...if they do OBDII only test mil eliminators will allow you to pass.

And if you are going to get a SC then both the plenum and exhaust can still be used unlike the cai or tuner.

Originally Posted by DrunkenDragon713
Don't listen to chris, he drives a focus...

yeah, i drive a focus but have most likly had more mustangs then you
Old 9/17/07, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkenDragon713
Some of the best cost friendly mods you can do are catback, cai, and a tune. All can be bought for under $1k (depending on brands) and improves the car's breathing, sound, performance, and look.
Can you be more specific on the "tune" part of that? The catback and the CAI I'm familiar with.
Old 9/17/07, 10:55 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by SonicBlueGTVert
Can you be more specific on the "tune" part of that? The catback and the CAI I'm familiar with.
They have Handheld tuners that plug into the OBDII port and adjust things like spark timing and other things that i can't think of.

But basically adjust the computer to compensate for the extra breathing that you add with say a CAI.

Also be able to take advantage of higher octane fuel.
Old 9/17/07, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

what exactly does the plenum do
Old 9/17/07, 02:58 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The aftermarket one is simply better flowing than the factory one.

More air flow = more power.
Old 9/17/07, 03:07 PM
Cobra Member

oh ok.
Old 9/17/07, 03:12 PM
Needs to be more Astony

the 2v cars see much larger hp gain with the plenum change then the CAI.

every heard the pharse only as good as the weakest link? that weakest link is the plenum.
Old 9/19/07, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicBlueGTVert
Here's a wide open topic for discussion. I really like the all-stock aspect of my new (to me) 2003 GT Vert, but I would like to enhance it in the areas of performance (hp), efficiency (gas mileage) and appearance. Cost is a concern (got to convince the wife that it's a worthwhile expense) and to say I know next to nothing about mechanical stuff isn't far from the truth (though I do have a mechanic who would like to work on the car for me). Also, with only 9000 miles on it, I'm a long way away from needing to change anything but the oil; but I can't help think there are things I can upgrade to improve how it runs. What do you say?

First - Oil & Filter: What's the best for an everyday driver (with the occasional need to show off what it can do)?
So far, I've heard Mobil 1 Synthetic or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is best, or maybe Royal Purple. And a Motorcraft filter.

Next - Fuel Filter: Would anything more than what would come with a routine service be recommended?

Air Filter: I've already removed the air silencer. I assume the next step would be something like a K&N filter. It looks like a Ram Air Intake or a Cold Air Intake would be next. JLT's CAI gets good recommendations. Then I'd really like to add a Ram Air Shaker Hood Scoop someday (yeah, I know, that's far from stock for a GT).

General engine: Would replacing plugs, plug wires, fuel delivery or anything else improve performance and/or fuel mileage enough to make them worth considering? (This might even be a good place to start dressing it up a bit. I think anodized blue engine parts would accent the Sonic Blue body rather well.)

More blue: Moving to the appearance category, I'd really like to replace the headlight and fog light lamps with something bright blue/white. Any comments? Then I think one of those Reverse Glow Gauge Face Plates would look really cool at night.

Finally, Tires: My idea of good looking rubber is something fatter and taller than what's on there now (245/45ZR17's) - at least in the back. I understand those wheel wells will hold up to a 19" tire, so why not let them? I don't want to lose my Bullitt rims though. As for driving conditions: no snow, heavy rain sometimes and everything from interstates to narrow, shoulderless country roads. So a smooth ride is good, but excellent control is paramount. I would think the larger the footprint you can put down, the better. But, how big a tire can I put on those rims? Would better suspension help as well?

Let's hear from the collective expertise of the forum.
Definately change to Mobil 1. I use all synthetic fluids.

The first performance mod should be Sub Frame Connectors. Then I would get a Cold Air System (JLT is good). Next get a Trick Flow Intake Plenum, SCT Tuner with performance tune. The Cold Air Intake Plenum and tune should give you at least 15 rwhp. Next I suggest a Magnaflow X pipe and CatBack, another 8 rwhp and Underdrive pullies about 5 more rwhp. You should dyno around 240+ for Auto and about 250+ for Manual and it should get good mileage.

Keep the 17" wheels and get Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's and yes a better suspension will help. If you are on a budget get Ford Racing "C" springs, Tokico 5 way adjustable Shocks and Struts and Steeda LCA's and UCA's.

Also if you can afford them:
Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
Cobra front brakes
Strut tower brace
Steeda front and rear sway bars
Old 9/19/07, 09:32 PM

Lots of great ideas guys. Thanks! I'm sure I'll be putting some of them to use too.
Old 10/15/07, 08:59 AM

2006 gt 50000
just installed BBK CAI and BBK Throttle body WOW what a differnece!!!!!! no reflash and better HP and FUEL mileage
Old 10/22/07, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Not to be a butthole but the 3v motor is a totally different motor compared to the 2v. other than liters and cubic inches.

I bet it was a totally different car though wasnt it?