1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Stock Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/05, 08:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the stock mach 460 sound system and was wondering since the amps are 8 ohm, how would a aftermarket HU work with the stock amps and such? and if I ever wanted to get new speakers how would i go about doing that?
Old 5/14/05, 08:24 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2000gTstang@May 13, 2005, 8:24 PM
i have the stock mach 460 sound system and was wondering since the amps are 8 ohm, how would a aftermarket HU work with the stock amps and such? and if I ever wanted to get new speakers how would i go about doing that?
Well, I'm not quite sure about Mach 460 equipment specifically, I am pretty good with stereos- so I'll tell you what I do know. If you were to get a new headunit, you would also need an adapter harness(which makes wiring a snap- it connects to your old harness and makes all the wires colorcoded to match the colors comming out the headunit) and also a faceplate adapter if you are using a single DIN headunit(the most common form), since the Mach 460 uses a double DIN. In my opinion, the stock 6 disc isn't too bad, and I've seen it expanded upon. If you want to change it because u want subs, there is a wire pre run to the back of your car that you can use. As for the amps, I honestly dont know- but my guess is that theyre stable down to 4 ohms(which is the most common resistance level). As for speakers, they are componet style in the Mach 460(meaning they have the tweeter in a different location- that location being the triangular cover near the window in the door). The easiest way to get more sound out of your car is to upgrade the cheap paper-cone stock speakers. A direct replacement componet system would be ideal, but you could use coxial speakers if you choose to do so(which would make the tweeters near the window inoperable). I've heard componets are better than coxial because there is no built in tweeter in front of the wolfer, which means less distortion. So my advise is to start with the speakers- find a nice set of componets and see how that sounds. The headunit won't really affect sound and why buy new amps when your stock speakers can't handle it. Let me know what your trying to do with your system and I'll help you out.

The article about the pre-run wire for subs on a stock Mach 460- http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm

A very in depth site describing how car audio works- http://www.bcae1.com/

This site is a more simple look at car audio, but its Britsh or something, so you'll notice some differences (i.e. money)- http://home.scarlet.be/~ping4093/rega2/guide.html

I'll try to find some more Mach 460 related info and get back to you- good luck and let me know if u need anything.
Old 5/14/05, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Just found a great site giving all the technical specs of the Mach 460 and how its put together.

http://www.flemworld.com/Mach460/mach.html
Old 5/15/05, 01:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by BlackMustangGT07@May 14, 2005, 10:27 AM
Well, I'm not quite sure about Mach 460 equipment specifically, I am pretty good with stereos- so I'll tell you what I do know. If you were to get a new headunit, you would also need an adapter harness(which makes wiring a snap- it connects to your old harness and makes all the wires colorcoded to match the colors comming out the headunit) and also a faceplate adapter if you are using a single DIN headunit(the most common form), since the Mach 460 uses a double DIN. In my opinion, the stock 6 disc isn't too bad, and I've seen it expanded upon. If you want to change it because u want subs, there is a wire pre run to the back of your car that you can use. As for the amps, I honestly dont know- but my guess is that theyre stable down to 4 ohms(which is the most common resistance level). As for speakers, they are componet style in the Mach 460(meaning they have the tweeter in a different location- that location being the triangular cover near the window in the door). The easiest way to get more sound out of your car is to upgrade the cheap paper-cone stock speakers. A direct replacement componet system would be ideal, but you could use coxial speakers if you choose to do so(which would make the tweeters near the window inoperable). I've heard componets are better than coxial because there is no built in tweeter in front of the wolfer, which means less distortion. So my advise is to start with the speakers- find a nice set of componets and see how that sounds. The headunit won't really affect sound and why buy new amps when your stock speakers can't handle it. Let me know what your trying to do with your system and I'll help you out.

The article about the pre-run wire for subs on a stock Mach 460- http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm

A very in depth site describing how car audio works- http://www.bcae1.com/

This site is a more simple look at car audio, but its Britsh or something, so you'll notice some differences (i.e. money)- http://home.scarlet.be/~ping4093/rega2/guide.html

I'll try to find some more Mach 460 related info and get back to you- good luck and let me know if u need anything.

thanks for everything. ive got the single DIN system with the HU and CD player seperate. the reason the want to replace the HU is because i just dont like the one thats in there now. and i dont like that the CD player is seperate. i found a converter on crutchfield that allows you to hook up to the factory amps and set the output for each channel. do you know where i could get a pocket to put where the stock CD player is now? thanks for those sites. theyve got a lot of info on them. take care
Old 5/16/05, 04:50 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2000gTstang@May 15, 2005, 1:28 PM
thanks for everything. ive got the single DIN system with the HU and CD player seperate. the reason the want to replace the HU is because i just dont like the one thats in there now. and i dont like that the CD player is seperate. i found a converter on crutchfield that allows you to hook up to the factory amps and set the output for each channel. do you know where i could get a pocket to put where the stock CD player is now? thanks for those sites. theyve got a lot of info on them. take care
I've been looking through all the audio sites I can find. The closest thing to a pocket was a "headunit sleeve" that I found on Crutchfield...If you can't find anything either, your best bet might be to go to Ford and get a pocket that was used for non-Mach mustangs, just your basic AM/FM/Tape version. They HAD to have something for that space down there. If that doesn't work, take measurements of the space you need to fill and salvage something from another brand of vehicle (for example, I know the pocket in my Legacy is exactly the same size as a headunit, so I found another and used it to convert a double DIN into a single DIN) Good luck, and I'll keep my eyes open for something.
Old 5/17/05, 07:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by BlackMustangGT07@May 16, 2005, 6:53 PM
I've been looking through all the audio sites I can find. The closest thing to a pocket was a "headunit sleeve" that I found on Crutchfield...If you can't find anything either, your best bet might be to go to Ford and get a pocket that was used for non-Mach mustangs, just your basic AM/FM/Tape version. They HAD to have something for that space down there. If that doesn't work, take measurements of the space you need to fill and salvage something from another brand of vehicle (for example, I know the pocket in my Legacy is exactly the same size as a headunit, so I found another and used it to convert a double DIN into a single DIN) Good luck, and I'll keep my eyes open for something.

thanks..ive been looking and couldnt find anything either...but ill try going to the ford dealership
Old 5/17/05, 04:41 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Ford Dearler should have it. Also the install shops at best buy and possibly circuit city may as well.

You can run an aftermarket headunit with the mach460, but it may have a pop when it turns the amps on or off. Crutchfield makes a device that plugs in for that, but it escapes me as to which one it is at the moment.