1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Problems With Braking

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/04, 11:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been having problems braking on my 01 Gt. I changed the brakes at 50k. The car now has 80k. When I apply the brakes the pedal almost reaches the floor, and then it makes a loud-spongy sound. It feels literally like a sponge. I have heard that the problem is that I have not bled the brakes. I have also heard that my master cyclinder went bad. How would I know the difference? I would apprecaite your feedback. Thanks
Old 7/24/04, 11:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't know about bleeding the brakes, but I know about the master cylinder.

My problem was......my foot was basically touching the floor.....took my car into the state inspection, and it failed. They said I needed brake fluid.

I took my car to Midas to add brake fluid......they said they couldn't.....but the offered to fix the brakes................big mistake. As they were making the estimate I PERSONALLY watched the guys....one was eating a sandwich during the entire time he was next to my car. They spent less than 5-7 minutes next to my car, but the wait was easily 45 minutes. Remember I can see their actions. They came back to me telling me my bill was going to be $700+.

I was SHOCKED......I was walking out the door.....the guy tried to cut me a deal and said "Well lemme see if I can get the price lower." He came back, and said "Ok, you don't need these premium brake pads....etc etc......all you need is your master cylinder your price should be $232 w/o labor."

Once again I was SHOCKED why were you trying to sell me $500 more than I needed.

I left went to a Jiffy Lube......I needed an oil change anyways.....I told them my problem(jiffy lube does state inspections also) I asked if my brakes would pass state inspection. They said, "No they're real spongy." I opened my hood for the oil change, and they IMMEDIATELY found that my gasket head was leaking. Something that Midas didn't find....and they did it for FREE(I was getting an oil change though).

I got my gasket head from leaking brake fluid, and replaced my master cylinder at a local place for $340 with labor etc etc.

LESSON LEARNED: Don't goto Midas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Long story I know, but some advice.

Check your brake fluid....brake fluid usually doesn't disappear. There might be a leak. The could be a cause of why they touch the floor. After leaving Midas I put brake fluid in my car, my brakes improved but they still needed major work.

It will probably be your master cylinder, but adding brake fluid is a cheap way to check.
Old 7/24/04, 11:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Thay's not the first time I've heard a Midas horror story.
Check it out...
http://www.complaints.com/july2002/complai...ay.july20.3.htm
Old 7/25/04, 12:53 AM
GT Member

Matt,
Thanks bro for the advice. (By the way, is your problem fixed, and what year is your car) Shi$ I just saw a Midas commercial on the TV, before reading your post, and said to myself that I would never take my stang to those crooks. The brake fluid looks fine, so I am not sure. By the way, where is this gasket located, so that I may look for leaks. I always take my car to the dealership, even though I don't have warranty. I had some crappy things happen to my 92 LX 5.0 at Sears regarding alignment. I am going to take it in some time next week to Ford: I am just afraid that it'll cost at least 300$. I'll see.
Can anyone explain the purpose and benefit of bleeding brakes and how this might be contributing to my problem.
Thanks fellas.
Old 7/25/04, 01:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah, man becareful driving like that man. it stinks when your brakes act crazy. i was drivingmy grandmothers 89 taurus and one of the brakes locked up and actually caught on fire. now that was an interesting event! yeah , i hate those places. thats why i always find a local mechanic by word of mouth that does good work. and always goto them!
Old 7/25/04, 01:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

My car is a 93 Civic.....I'm looking to dump it; for a...............you guessed it a 2004 Mach 1 orGT.

Since your brake fluid level is fine then your not leaking. The gasket is right below the plastic container holding the brake fluid. I guess you could say it's a "stem" leading to the brake fluid container.

Mine was soaked in brake fluid, and when my local shop replaced it they asked me if I put power steering fluid in there because it was a dark orange color where as it should have been more translucent.

What's humorous was at Midas the first guy I spoke with said over and over "Brake fluid doesn't disappear, we'll have to check to see if you have a leak."..........They never did? That was a golden oppurtunity to try to make more money off of me.

Also this was real funny.....after Midas told me $700, and I decided not to go foward with the work.....they charged me $21 and the salesman smiled and said, "Here's a coupon to get a free car wash." hahahahahahaha Why am I going to wash and detail a car with no brakes. hahaha

I started laughing, but the salesman missed it completely.

Side note, I got it all fixed passed my state inspection......now around September I'm gonna try to sell it......of course I'll be honest about all the work blah blah blah.
Old 7/25/04, 06:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Bleeding brakes the brake lines get air in them sometimes when you add new pads or sometimes just adding fluid air expands diff from fluid so it will make it feel spongy call around and ask for est. to just bleed brakes.. Talk to friends find a good mech who won't b.s. you. Also sometimes you can get water in the brake fluid not good but that usally only happens with a bad seal or the cap on the master cylinder not on tight. then you need to replace all brake fluid.