1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

P.I head and intake swap

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/12, 05:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P.I head and intake swap

As some of you know I am the owner of a 1997 GT. For years I have considered doing a P.I. head and intake swap and now I think the prices are beginning to seem reasonable but I have a few questions.

First the kit that I found available from Ford Racing performance parts claims that it comes with everything I would need for the swap (heads, intake, brackets, gaskets basic tools) but there is no mention of a tune or having to run premium fuel. Do I really need a tune and to run premium fuel? Also how difficult is the labor for such a job? I personally don't have the mechanical know how to do such a job but I do have some family and friends that are certified mechanics. How long and hard do you figure it would take an experienced mechanic to perform such a job.

Also the car is an automatic would the extra 45-50HP mean I need to upgrade it? This is an idea I am kicking around because I found this kit with free shipping for $1259..... is that a good price?

If possible I'd like to hear from people who have personally done the swap I'm looking for a little extra kick I'm probably not going to go crazy with aftermarket heads or a blower... I just want some respectable power considering that V6 Camrys and Accords are faster than me lol
Old 3/3/12, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I did the heads on my 2k twice. Once while they were in the car and once when the engine was out of the car. I don't know what kind of clearence problems you will have while taking the head bolts out. Some I had to leave in while I took the head off it was a drag. You have to pull them out so far and then tape them so they wouldn't fall back down in the holes. The hardest part was getting the timing right. Ii didn't have the tool to hold the cams in the right place so Ii winged it. it worked out and I did need a third hand for a minute or two. I don't think you have to run prem or get a tune to run these heads but then again I don't know what your compression ratio will be when your done. Do you know what it will be??
Your trans should handle the extra hp with out a problem. I bought a book off of ebay on rebuilding the 4.6 which was very helpfull. It had all the tq specs in it as well as the right procedures on how to get to the proper TQ. I would say for a first timer taking your time and double checking everything you do would be about 20 hours or less. It can be done in less than tha I am sure. When I did mine I didn't work on it from start to finish and I didn't really keep track of the time I invested.

Have you looked into a intake, tune, shift kit or j mod and some rear gears at all? I'm sure that would help some
Old 3/3/12, 09:18 PM

More power is all ways a good idea not that bad of of a job you will have to run 93 fuel comp is higher on 96 to 98 blocks with pi heads I have done 3 of these pi I up grades for customers with 96 to 98 mustangs if u can do head gaskets on a ford mod motor u can do this
Old 3/4/12, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

I figure the car is getting tired with mileage but reliable. Do you think such an upgrade would compromise it's current incredible durability? I don't think I'm interested in major mods. My cobra is my performance car I'm have some hesitation with the prospect of having to run 93 on a daily. I guess I need to consider other options
Old 3/4/12, 06:30 PM

Not a good idea on a high mile motor
Old 3/4/12, 08:11 PM
Cobra R Member

I thought putting new heads and intake would be like a rebuilt motor? It has roughly 120k on it but was never beat... surprisingly it doesn't leak a drop of fluid. What else should I look at while I'm ripping the motor apart?
Old 3/4/12, 08:21 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I thought putting new heads and intake would be like a rebuilt motor? It has roughly 120k on it but was never beat... surprisingly it doesn't leak a drop of fluid. What else should I look at while I'm ripping the motor apart?
Your forgetting pistons, rods, rings, bearings, crank, oil pump, timing tensioners, and timing chain.
They all wear down. I still say go for the swap.
If you were close I would help.
Old 3/4/12, 08:47 PM
Cobra R Member

You think 120k on those parts are a lot?
Old 3/4/12, 08:54 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You think 120k on those parts are a lot?
On a hard driven engine yes. My main concern would be pump and bearings.
Old 3/5/12, 06:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
On a hard driven engine yes. My main concern would be pump and bearings.
I don't think you can run a stock 96-98 4.6L 2V hard lol. I never beat on the car i'm assuming that everything should be good, it still runs strong overall for what it is
Old 3/5/12, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

If the engine breaks from the moderate increase in hp from the PI heads it was probably going to break anyway. The stresses on the parts shouldn't be anything significantly more than before the swap on the lower end.

The problems, if any, that would surface would be because certain parts were already on the edge and the disassembly (and reassembly if applicable) would break the worn in patterns. So you're looking at possibly bringing forth wear issues with the coils, plug wires, timing chain and sprockets. Basically the things that get taken off and put back on or where new interfaces with old. Visual inspection should be good enough for the timing chain system I would think. The rest could simply be checked or just replaced because it's easy while it's all apart anyway.

For the short block nothing really changes... the bearings and such should be just as happy before as after.

Last edited by 97GT12; 3/5/12 at 10:12 PM.
Old 3/14/12, 07:12 PM
Cobra R Member

I think having to run premium fuel is a real turn off for me. Putting premium in the cobra sucks don't think I want that with both vehicles
Old 4/4/12, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

This is my suggestion take it or leave it on a car with that many miles I would do a rebuild kit with forged internals and of tour planning on keeping the car NA I would go with neutral pistons to raise the comp ratio but with that comes premium gas then later on down the road do the head swap or if you can do it all together do that
Old 4/4/12, 09:26 PM
Cobra R Member

I think having to run premium fuel is a real turn off for me. Putting premium in the cobra sucks don't think I want that with both vehicles
I'd probably say do a rebuild... not saying super crazy parts, but clean it all up, resurface the crank, new rods and pistons etc... buy the pi parts used! Alot cheaper!
Old 4/6/12, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

I just noticed a coolent leak .... to be continued!