1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/11, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change

I am not too good with doing auto repairs and maintainence work on my own. I'm trying to learn though. Attempting to change my oil and I was hoping to get some advice, tips. What tools will I need?
Old 11/28/11, 10:23 PM
JDF
GT Member

Well first off, welcome to TMS.

Um an oil change isn't too tough. What year Mustang do you have? You'll need a ratchet/wrench, a socket if you use a ratchet, an oil filter wrench (roughly a medium size) and a drain bucket... Maybe some shop towels in case you make a mess. Umm if you have a 4.6L engine then you will most likely need a 16mm socket.
Old 11/28/11, 10:51 PM
JDF
GT Member

Basically all you have to do is crawl under the car and pull the drain plug from the engine, it should be the only bolt on the bottom of the oil pan. When you pull it make sure you have the drain bucket lined up to catch the oil cause it will shoot out pretty good. Once that's done draining put the plug back in and locate the oil filter. If you have a 4.6 then it should be right above the steering rack (its the grayish cylinder with arms attaching to the wheels) on the drivers side. Slide your filter wrench on that and start loosening it up. Again line the bucket up underneath it to catch the oil. A god idea is to let the filter drain after you loosened it and then take it off once it's mostly empty. Check and make sure that the little rubber ring is still on the filter( look at the new filter for a reference) and then put some oil on the new filter ring, just dab your finger in the old oil and rub it around. Put the new filter on and you're good underneath. Pull the drain bucket out and go ahead and put the new oil in (there is a cap on the valve cover that you fill it from) I would recommend using a funnel when putting the oil in. After all the oil is in the. Start the engine up, run it for a few seconds and then shut it off and check the oil level. There should be a dipstick either to the left or right of your engine.
Old 11/28/11, 11:00 PM
JDF
GT Member

Oh I forgot, righty tighty lefty loosey. Remember that
Old 11/28/11, 11:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Just take it to get it done and say you want to watch?
Old 11/29/11, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by JDF
Basically all you have to do is crawl under the car and pull the drain plug from the engine, it should be the only bolt on the bottom of the oil pan. When you pull it make sure you have the drain bucket lined up to catch the oil cause it will shoot out pretty good. Once that's done draining put the plug back in and locate the oil filter. If you have a 4.6 then it should be right above the steering rack (its the grayish cylinder with arms attaching to the wheels) on the drivers side. Slide your filter wrench on that and start loosening it up. Again line the bucket up underneath it to catch the oil. A god idea is to let the filter drain after you loosened it and then take it off once it's mostly empty. Check and make sure that the little rubber ring is still on the filter( look at the new filter for a reference) and then put some oil on the new filter ring, just dab your finger in the old oil and rub it around. Put the new filter on and you're good underneath. Pull the drain bucket out and go ahead and put the new oil in (there is a cap on the valve cover that you fill it from) I would recommend using a funnel when putting the oil in. After all the oil is in the. Start the engine up, run it for a few seconds and then shut it off and check the oil level. There should be a dipstick either to the left or right of your engine.
Ok I got it. Sounds fair enough. All I will need is an oil filter, drain bucket, and oil filter wrench. Sounds fair enough. I guess I can go purchase the oil filter and oil filter wrench at autozone tomorrow. Thanks alot, I appreciate the help.
Old 11/29/11, 01:03 AM
JDF
GT Member

Originally Posted by MustangReflection

Ok I got it. Sounds fair enough. All I will need is an oil filter, drain bucket, and oil filter wrench. Sounds fair enough. I guess I can go purchase the oil filter and oil filter wrench at autozone tomorrow. Thanks alot, I appreciate the help.
Do you have a jack and jack stands?
Old 11/29/11, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by JDF

Do you have a jack and jack stands?
I have a jack but no jack stands
Old 11/29/11, 12:06 PM
JDF
GT Member

Ok. It's a very good idea to get jack stands. Mostly for safety reasons
Old 11/29/11, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JDF
Ok. It's a very good idea to get jack stands. Mostly for safety reasons

Ok ill purchase those as well then. Thank you for the tips.

Last edited by MustangReflection; 11/29/11 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11/29/11, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by JDF
Well first off, welcome to TMS.

Um an oil change isn't too tough. What year Mustang do you have? You'll need a ratchet/wrench, a socket if you use a ratchet, an oil filter wrench (roughly a medium size) and a drain bucket... Maybe some shop towels in case you make a mess. Umm if you have a 4.6L engine then you will most likely need a 16mm socket.
1999 Ford Mustang GT
Old 11/29/11, 10:26 PM
JDF
GT Member

Welcome, glad I could help.