1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

No Headlight = .20?

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/08, 07:39 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Headlight = .20?

Went to the track a couple of weeks ago and ran pretty consistently in the 14.20's. That's pretty much what I expected out of the car with my set up and the temperature.

We were messing around and found out how easily the headlights come out of the car and some suggested I take the passenger side out for more air and I sort of laughed it off.

Well, I went to the track yesterday and as a joke someone pulled my headlight out and hid it while I was helping someone else get their car off the trailer. It was so close to the first time run that I didn't have time to look for it so I figured "what the hell" and ran without it.

I get the time slip at the end and it ran 14.03. I didn't really believe it so I just wrote it off as a fluke. Next run, 14.07, after that, 14.08, after that 14.06.

All day the car ran .20 under what it did 2 weeks ago and it was actually hotter and more humid yesterday.

Could getting cooler air to the engine really make that big of a difference? I guess it could but I'm still a little shocked that I got that much out of a free mod.
Old 6/16/08, 10:08 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see a lot of sn95s do that so it must help, but .2 is pretty huge!
Old 6/16/08, 10:50 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Ive seen that alot, unfortunately some people do it because they want other people to think there's a turbo back there or something, it might provide a little weight savings, but not .2 worth
Old 6/16/08, 10:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I see a lot of sn95s do that so it must help, but .2 is pretty huge!
Yeah, I still don't believe it but the car is very temperamental when it comes to temperature. I'm actually really curious what this could do when it gets cooler and the car runs better. I can't see getting a .2 gain to October numbers with this but it would be cool.
Old 6/16/08, 10:58 AM
Needs to be more Astony

going by your current mod list you need to get a upper intake plenum. should be enough to put you into the 13's.
Old 6/16/08, 11:32 AM
GT Member

Yeah, that's on the list but I think I'm going to do control arms and subframe connectors next. It doesn't leave as hard as I'd like so that would allow me to get some stickys on and see where that puts me. Also thinking about gears once I get a heap to take back and forth to work.
Old 6/16/08, 12:02 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Miserable
Yeah, that's on the list but I think I'm going to do control arms and subframe connectors next. It doesn't leave as hard as I'd like so that would allow me to get some stickys on and see where that puts me. Also thinking about gears once I get a heap to take back and forth to work.
I know what i am about to say might casue some flaming from drag racers, but i feel that slicks are cheating.

To me i want to know that i am just as fast on the track as on the street, besides things like ground prep since any competator would be facing the same problem.

You might be able to throw some sticky tires on and run a 13.5 but around town you'd still only be a 14 sec car.

So unless those same sticky tires will be run 24/7 i say still to do 24/7 mods. control arms and subframe connectors def are, so don't take that wrong. if thats what you want to do next then go for it.

/end rant and put on flame suit.
Old 6/16/08, 12:29 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I know what i am about to say might casue some flaming from drag racers, but i feel that slicks are cheating.

To me i want to know that i am just as fast on the track as on the street, besides things like ground prep since any competator would be facing the same problem.

You might be able to throw some sticky tires on and run a 13.5 but around town you'd still only be a 14 sec car.

So unless those same sticky tires will be run 24/7 i say still to do 24/7 mods. control arms and subframe connectors def are, so don't take that wrong. if thats what you want to do next then go for it.

/end rant and put on flame suit.
Drag Radials!!
Old 6/16/08, 12:56 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Drag Radials!!
Drag radials are fine with me since you can run em 24/7.
Old 6/16/08, 01:06 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Drag radials are fine with me since you can run em 24/7.
Just don't take corners to fast . . . . at least not on M/T DRs.

I think some LCA and welded subframe connectors would be a good decision. They would have a nice effect on and off the track.
Old 6/16/08, 01:42 PM
GT Member

Don't think I'd go with a full slick on this car, I want to keep it streetable but I also want it to be race ready so I don't have to change tires and set up before going to the track. Drag radials would be the way I would go at this point. Maybe some day it will be a full race car but not now.

My main concern now is the launch. Since it's an auto, I can only bring it up to about 1500 until the wheels start to break loose. Before I get into a new converter, I'd like to see what drag radials can do for that since I would be putting them on anyway. I just think it would be smart to beef up the suspension before adding the DRs so I don't flex anything too bad launching with them.
Old 6/16/08, 01:43 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Thats cool, what kind of trap speeds are you running?
Old 6/16/08, 03:32 PM
GT Member

Lowest this season was 97.06, highest was 99.98. It was all 99's yesterday and usually in the 99's for the most part.
Old 6/22/08, 04:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

you shoulda popped it back in and seen if the car slowed down. I think that sould be your test if you choose to accept it : ) if it does work, man I like that free mod
Old 6/23/08, 08:09 AM
GT Member

Plan on doing that at a street night in the near future. This was an event so I didn't want to change the set up, needed to get consistent runs for my dial in time.
Old 6/23/08, 08:33 AM
Needs to be more Astony

what kind of 60 ft are you running? Seems like a little more practice you could be seeing 13's the way it is.
Old 6/23/08, 08:48 AM
GT Member

low 2.0's. That's part of the reason I want to work on the suspension and get the launch better. I think I'm losing the most time there even when my R/T is decent.
Old 6/23/08, 09:33 AM
Needs to be more Astony

For practice you should not be worrying about reaction time, focus on your launch.
Old 6/23/08, 10:23 AM
GT Member

agreed but since I'm running events from time to time, R/T is sometimes the difference between winning and losing so I try to keep that in mind when practicing.
Old 6/23/08, 11:26 AM
GT Member

What "events"? Other than a simple heads-up race, the R/T doesn't count.

Quick Reply: No Headlight = .20?