1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

New springs, Gears

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/12, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New springs, Gears

Well I took my car to have 3.73's installed along with the eibach pro kit on Friday. I used frpp gears along with the new bearing kit. The springs have the car looking much better than the stock height and I am very happy with them. The steering wheel shakes a bit at highway speeds but probably due to not getting an alignment yet. I can tell a difference with the gears installed even though I have been taking it easy in the car for break in of the gears. However the gears do whine on de cel above 20mph. They are silent when accelerating. I called the shop and let them know and they said some gear noise when coasting will be normal with the 3.73 ratio over stock. They said to go through the break in period easy and to keep in touch about the gears and noise. I have read a lot about gears. Some people say gears should make zero noise when installed properly while others say even with everything adjusted properly some noise is not abnormal. My abs sensor also broke when they installed the gears. They said that the differential and underside were kind of rusty. You guys think I should take it back to let them hear the gears ASAP or continue with the break in and if it continues bring it back.
Old 2/19/12, 12:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by NYGMEN
Well I took my car to have 3.73's installed along with the eibach pro kit on Friday. I used frpp gears along with the new bearing kit. The springs have the car looking much better than the stock height and I am very happy with them. The steering wheel shakes a bit at highway speeds but probably due to not getting an alignment yet. I can tell a difference with the gears installed even though I have been taking it easy in the car for break in of the gears. However the gears do whine on de cel above 20mph. They are silent when accelerating. I called the shop and let them know and they said some gear noise when coasting will be normal with the 3.73 ratio over stock. They said to go through the break in period easy and to keep in touch about the gears and noise. I have read a lot about gears. Some people say gears should make zero noise when installed properly while others say even with everything adjusted properly some noise is not abnormal. My abs sensor also broke when they installed the gears. They said that the differential and underside were kind of rusty. You guys think I should take it back to let them hear the gears ASAP or continue with the break in and if it continues bring it back.
gear noise is not normal. I have 3.73s also did a new 31 spline diff, akles,bearings seals, etc. no noise at all and there shoudn't be any. My guess backlash issue or incorrect pinion depth, either way it needs to be looked at.
Old 2/19/12, 01:19 PM
GT Member

I am thinking of just showing up tommorow morning when they open to take them for a ride in it. Seems strange how so many people have zero noise and so many do. Hard to really tell what should be going on. I know the noise doesn't sound too normal though.
Old 2/19/12, 01:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by NYGMEN
I am thinking of just showing up tommorow morning when they open to take them for a ride in it. Seems strange how so many people have zero noise and so many do. Hard to really tell what should be going on. I know the noise doesn't sound too normal though.
many people are sucked into believing it is normal. FRPP gears are not noisy and even richmond or motive aren't really noisy persay. truth be told some guys are real good setting up gears some aren't. don't let them dance around you it doesn't take much for them to be off to make noise. good luck.
Old 2/19/12, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Thanks man.
Old 2/24/12, 07:26 AM
GT Member

how low is it now compared with stock springs?
Old 2/24/12, 09:09 AM
GT Member

In my opinion I makes the car look 100 times better. It is the pro kit from eibach. I wouldn't want it any lower but that is just my opinion. I don't bottom out on anything and it doesn't seem too low. I don't have any numbers but to me it looks like it should have from the factory. I will try to put a picture up for u
Old 2/24/12, 09:28 AM
GT Member

here it is
Attached Thumbnails New springs, Gears-photo.jpg  
Old 2/24/12, 09:31 AM
GT Member

I would say ... 1"??

looks perfect!
Old 2/24/12, 09:49 AM
GT Member

Thanks! Yes about an in maybe just a hair more. I will try to get a good side pic for u when I get home toda
Old 2/24/12, 11:57 AM

New springs, Gears-image-2255802437.jpg

Twins! Haha
Old 2/24/12, 01:34 PM
GT Member

I like it! Haha
Old 2/24/12, 02:24 PM
GT Member

some before and afters. Also should say that I brought my car back to the shop that did my gears. They listened to them and then replaced the gears with new ones free of charge. The rear end now makes no noise.
Attached Thumbnails New springs, Gears-img_1084.jpg   New springs, Gears-photo-2.jpg  
Old 2/24/12, 03:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Great news. Sounds like they knew they were going to have to fix it but were hoping you would "deal with it" and give up. Glad you stuck it out and got it straightened out. Car looks good btw, I like that blue.
Old 2/24/12, 04:29 PM
GT Member

Thanks. Yeah when I took it back at first they were like oh it doesn't sound that bad. Then they were like I would just drive it the noise will go away. I told them I called ford racing and they told me the gears should under no circumstances sound that way and they were not installed properly. Ford racing told me not to drive it at all. Then they said we can adjust it for you. Then they said we will just replace them under warranty. So they replaced them and the noise was gone. Nice to have it setup properly and running well.