1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Need Something New

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/05 | 07:15 PM

Well, it's summertime and I keep staring at my stang wanting to do something new to it. I have a lot of options seeing as the only thing that has been added is a flowmaster catback system. I've read many older posting on a variety of things but not sure exactly what to do next.

I've thought about starting with something simple such as a CAI but I'm not sure if it's really worth it. What other mods are there out there that I relatively inexpensive and something I could do on a day off or two? (work is killing me lately so I don't get a lot of time off)

I'm open to just about anything right now...
Old 6/9/05 | 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

You could do the whole intake from filter to upper plenum in a couple of hours or less. You could get a cai, larger maf, throttle body, and after market plenum. Together all of them should gain you a few ponies, plus they are all easy to do in a short period of time, and you still have your stock parts to put back on if something screws up.

You could also do an offroad h pipe or prochamber (I prefer prochambers becuase they sound mean as heck and net decent hp).
The mid pipe can definitely be done in an afternoon, but read up on the install to make sure you ahve all the tools. It is a pretty simple install, other than the passenger side bolts between the mid-pipe and the header. They are a PITA to get to, ecspecially if the car is just on jack stands and not on a lift.

If your car is a 5 speed, you can do a short throw shifter pretty quickly.
Old 6/9/05 | 08:45 PM
GTR Member

4.10 gears and full Bassani exhaust along with a PRO 5.0 Powertower shifter are my recommendations
Old 6/10/05 | 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

The shifter, sure. He already said he has exhaust, so unless he is really unhappy with the sound, it would be a waste of time and money.

DO NOT do your own gears unless you are prepared to screw something up. If you dont get the backlash just right, the gear will whine for the rest of the time you own them. You HAVE to have a bearing press in ordered to do the correctly to get the pinion bearing on without risking breaking it. So unless you have done gears before, it is not a project I would recomend tackling yourself. It is well worth a couple of hundered dollars to have someone that knows what they are doing put them in. Not to mention, once you get gears, you would have to have a speedcal in order to make your speedometer and odometer read correctly.
Old 6/10/05 | 08:55 AM
GT Member

underdrive pulleys, lowering springs, offroad midpipe.