1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Mid Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/12 | 08:47 AM
V6 Member

Mid Pipe

How difficult would it be to remove an 04 GT mid pipe. Ive heard both hard and easy. I really dont feel like paying for a shop as I am pretty good around the car. Any suggestions.?
Old 11/29/12 | 04:49 PM

Installing a mid pipe is pretty straight forward. It is a very easy install but there is one bolt that can easily become a hassle. If you can get your hands on an impact it will make the install 100 TIMES EASIER!! Borrow one from a friend, go to a friends house, if you have an air compressor you can rent an impact from an auto parts store. I used a battery powered 18v impact because i didnt feel like pulling out the air compressor. The 18v impact was still plenty strong enough. If you cant get your hands on an impact, the install can still be done without too much trouble.

Things needed for install:
15mm deep scoket (make sure its a 6 point socket)
universal joint (preferably one made for impacts so that it is stronger)
2 10in extensions
pb blaster/wd-40/or any good penetrating oil
impact and/or breaker bar
crescent wrench
jack/jack stands
creeper (optional)
04's need o2 extensions or mil eliminators (these are only for 04's, ill explain below)

Steps:
1. Put on the parking brake, for autos put car in park and for manuals put the car in first. Jack up the front of the car and place the jack stands underneath the subframe.

2. Spray penetrating oil on the bolts connecting the mid pipe and exhaust manifolds(stock headers). Spray down where the o2 sensors screw into the mid pipe as well. Let it sit for an hour, preferably over night.

3. Get one 10in extension, the 15mm socket and impact/breaker bar. Start on the drivers side. If i remember correctly, the universal joint is not needed for the drivers side. Loosen up the nuts at the header flange but do not remove the nuts yet.

4. Now its time for the drivers side, get the two 10in extensions and universal joint. Loosen the top nut first but once again do not remove it yet.

5. Here is the tricky bolt where many people get hung up. This is when the impact really comes in handy. The vibration is great for breaking the nut loose. This is where you have to make sure you have the 6 point socket otherwise you will strip the bolt. The issue with this bolt is that you dont really have enough room to fit the deep socket on there and get a good bite. Many people cut about 1/4in off of their socket with a hack saw for more clearance. I didnt cut my socket and i was able to still get a pretty good grip on the nut. Loosen this nut but dont remove yet.

6. Now that the hard part is over, the rest should be smooth sailing. Loosen up the bolts where the mid pipe connects to the cat back. Once again dont remove them yet.

7. Once all the nuts are loosened, you should have a bit more wiggle room. Disconnect the rear o2 sensors first because they are easily accesible and you can get a good idea of how to disconnect them. After you disconnect them, its time to disconnect the front o2 sensors. These ones you can't really see and you have to do them by feel. The cats make it hard to get to the sensors and expect to get some cuts and scrapes on your arms from the cats.

8. Once all the sensors are disconnected, go ahead and remove all the loose nuts and remove the mid pipe out from underneath the car.

9. Get the crescent wrench and unscrew all the o2 sensors from the old mid pipe. Make sure to put the sensors in the exact same spots on the new mid pipe. No matter how tight they were in your old mid pipe only put the new sensors in snug tight on the new mid pipe. They were only tight in the old mid pipe because of carbon build up.

10. Make sure your new mid pipe came with a new gasket for the passenger side flange. If it didnt or if the gasket is thin and flemsy then you want to purchase a new one. This is where most exhaust leaks occur after this installation. I suggest purchasing a ford replacement gasket from your local dealership. This gasket is thick and a good quality.

11. Begin bolting up the new mid pipe. Bolt up the mid pipe to the exhaust manifolds first. Then to the catback. Do not tighten yet tho.

12. Reconnect your o2 sensors. If you have an 04, the original rear o2 sensors will not be long enough to reconnect again. So you will need to buy o2 extensions to get it to reach and be able to reconnect again. Now keep in mind, if you dont have a tuner, your check engine light is going to come on because you dont have cats anymore. If you have a tuner then dont worry about this and just buy o2 extensions. If you dont have a tuner, instead of buying o2 extensions, i suggest you buy MIL eliminators. Mil eliminators will give you the extra length you need and they will keep your check engine light from coming on. So pretty much tuner=o2 extensions and no tuner=mil eliminators. Keep in mind this is only for 04's not the other years.

13. Now that the sensors are reconnected, tighten up all the bolts. Make sure not to tighten one side of it all at once. Tighten all bolts just until they are BARELY snug. Then go through and tighten all the bolts tight. Then go through one more time just to make sure they're all tight and everything lined up correctly. I tightened everything with my 18v impact, then just to be sure i pulled out the breaker bar and made sure it was really tight. If you're using a pneumatic impact, the breaker bar wont be necessary.

14. Now that everything is tight and reconnected, its time to make sure there arent any leaks. I started my car while it was up on the jack stands. Some may say dont do this but if you put the jack stands in the right spot there wont be an issue. Start the car, first listen for any obvious exhaust leak, then get under the car and make sure you dont see or hear any exhaust leaks. Check all the connects and the passenger flange that is notorious for leaking. You may have some very small exhaust leaks but after some driving they should go away once the carbon builds up. If you smell an exhaust leak, dont worry because you no longer have cats and this smell is now normal to smell.

15. Now take your car out for a drive and try not to smile too much!!!

(In a couple weeks get back under the car and look for exhaust leaks again. Look at all the connections and see if you can see any black soot coming from there. If there is, there is probably an exhaust leak there.)

Note: this instructions can easily be used to install a mid pipe with high flow cats as well

Last edited by Jet Life; 11/29/12 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11/29/12 | 10:06 PM
V6 Member

Thanks man.! Much appreciated.!
Old 11/29/12 | 10:41 PM

No problem man! Glad I could help.
Old 11/30/12 | 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Life
Installing a mid pipe is pretty straight forward. It is a very easy install but there is one bolt that can easily become a hassle. If you can get your hands on an impact it will make the install 100 TIMES EASIER!! Borrow one from a friend, go to a friends house, if you have an air compressor you can rent an impact from an auto parts store. I used a battery powered 18v impact because i didnt feel like pulling out the air compressor. The 18v impact was still plenty strong enough. If you cant get your hands on an impact, the install can still be done without too much trouble.

Things needed for install:
15mm deep scoket (make sure its a 6 point socket)
universal joint (preferably one made for impacts so that it is stronger)
2 10in extensions
pb blaster/wd-40/or any good penetrating oil
impact and/or breaker bar
crescent wrench
jack/jack stands
creeper (optional)
04's need o2 extensions or mil eliminators (these are only for 04's, ill explain below)

Steps:
1. Put on the parking brake, for autos put car in park and for manuals put the car in first. Jack up the front of the car and place the jack stands underneath the subframe.

2. Spray penetrating oil on the bolts connecting the mid pipe and exhaust manifolds(stock headers). Spray down where the o2 sensors screw into the mid pipe as well. Let it sit for an hour, preferably over night.

3. Get one 10in extension, the 15mm socket and impact/breaker bar. Start on the drivers side. If i remember correctly, the universal joint is not needed for the drivers side. Loosen up the nuts at the header flange but do not remove the nuts yet.

4. Now its time for the drivers side, get the two 10in extensions and universal joint. Loosen the top nut first but once again do not remove it yet.

5. Here is the tricky bolt where many people get hung up. This is when the impact really comes in handy. The vibration is great for breaking the nut loose. This is where you have to make sure you have the 6 point socket otherwise you will strip the bolt. The issue with this bolt is that you dont really have enough room to fit the deep socket on there and get a good bite. Many people cut about 1/4in off of their socket with a hack saw for more clearance. I didnt cut my socket and i was able to still get a pretty good grip on the nut. Loosen this nut but dont remove yet.

6. Now that the hard part is over, the rest should be smooth sailing. Loosen up the bolts where the mid pipe connects to the cat back. Once again dont remove them yet.

7. Once all the nuts are loosened, you should have a bit more wiggle room. Disconnect the rear o2 sensors first because they are easily accesible and you can get a good idea of how to disconnect them. After you disconnect them, its time to disconnect the front o2 sensors. These ones you can't really see and you have to do them by feel. The cats make it hard to get to the sensors and expect to get some cuts and scrapes on your arms from the cats.

8. Once all the sensors are disconnected, go ahead and remove all the loose nuts and remove the mid pipe out from underneath the car.

9. Get the crescent wrench and unscrew all the o2 sensors from the old mid pipe. Make sure to put the sensors in the exact same spots on the new mid pipe. No matter how tight they were in your old mid pipe only put the new sensors in snug tight on the new mid pipe. They were only tight in the old mid pipe because of carbon build up.

10. Make sure your new mid pipe came with a new gasket for the passenger side flange. If it didnt or if the gasket is thin and flemsy then you want to purchase a new one. This is where most exhaust leaks occur after this installation. I suggest purchasing a ford replacement gasket from your local dealership. This gasket is thick and a good quality.

11. Begin bolting up the new mid pipe. Bolt up the mid pipe to the exhaust manifolds first. Then to the catback. Do not tighten yet tho.

12. Reconnect your o2 sensors. If you have an 04, the original rear o2 sensors will not be long enough to reconnect again. So you will need to buy o2 extensions to get it to reach and be able to reconnect again. Now keep in mind, if you dont have a tuner, your check engine light is going to come on because you dont have cats anymore. If you have a tuner then dont worry about this and just buy o2 extensions. If you dont have a tuner, instead of buying o2 extensions, i suggest you buy MIL eliminators. Mil eliminators will give you the extra length you need and they will keep your check engine light from coming on. So pretty much tuner=o2 extensions and no tuner=mil eliminators. Keep in mind this is only for 04's not the other years.

13. Now that the sensors are reconnected, tighten up all the bolts. Make sure not to tighten one side of it all at once. Tighten all bolts just until they are BARELY snug. Then go through and tighten all the bolts tight. Then go through one more time just to make sure they're all tight and everything lined up correctly. I tightened everything with my 18v impact, then just to be sure i pulled out the breaker bar and made sure it was really tight. If you're using a pneumatic impact, the breaker bar wont be necessary.

14. Now that everything is tight and reconnected, its time to make sure there arent any leaks. I started my car while it was up on the jack stands. Some may say dont do this but if you put the jack stands in the right spot there wont be an issue. Start the car, first listen for any obvious exhaust leak, then get under the car and make sure you dont see or hear any exhaust leaks. Check all the connects and the passenger flange that is notorious for leaking. You may have some very small exhaust leaks but after some driving they should go away once the carbon builds up. If you smell an exhaust leak, dont worry because you no longer have cats and this smell is now normal to smell.

15. Now take your car out for a drive and try not to smile too much!!!

(In a couple weeks get back under the car and look for exhaust leaks again. Look at all the connections and see if you can see any black soot coming from there. If there is, there is probably an exhaust leak there.)

Note: this instructions can easily be used to install a mid pipe with high flow cats as well
Wow. Talk about a tutorial lol