1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

I need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/06, 07:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need some advice!

I am going to replace my plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and my coil. I am thinking of buying it from O'Reilly's. I want Autolite plugs, Borg Warner coil, that is the only thing I know of. I cannot afford the best brands, but I want the better brands. Will someone recommend brands of the wires, cap, and the rotor please? I do not have the best luck with stuff. I am afraid I will buy the wrong brands! Thanks!!
Old 7/23/06, 11:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Does anyone have any advice? I really need some pointers. Sorry, I just have forgotten all the car stuff I had in my accident! Thanks!!
I seen on HP TV they used Accel goodies, so I guess that is OK. I just figured that that was the best though, and higher priced.
Old 7/24/06, 02:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what year is your car? I am not sure that any SN-95's had a cap or rotor, all computer controlled
Old 7/24/06, 02:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jgsmuzzy
what year is your car? I am not sure that any SN-95's had a cap or rotor, all computer controlled
1995, I just figured they did. I don't know!! Thanks!
Old 7/25/06, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Let me help ya out...when you go to the auto parts store, the monkey behind the counter will have his computer on, just tell him what you drive and what you need. Now, since you do not want premium parts due to the cost, just get the "cheapies".....he should tell you the prices, or show you the screen. Don't get the lifetime warranty crap. Autolite is good, thats what I run.

Always remember this though about some parts choices....."Pay me now or pay me later" Know what I mean?
Old 7/25/06, 02:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TJ4Cam
Let me help ya out...when you go to the auto parts store, the monkey behind the counter will have his computer on, just tell him what you drive and what you need. Now, since you do not want premium parts due to the cost, just get the "cheapies".....he should tell you the prices, or show you the screen. Don't get the lifetime warranty crap. Autolite is good, thats what I run.

Always remember this though about some parts choices....."Pay me now or pay me later" Know what I mean?
I do not know what you mean, sorry! Sorry, I am kind of slow!! I have a doctor's note to verify that!! And, why not the lifetime warranty stuff? I do not ever plan on getting rid of my car!! It is one of my dream cars. And thanks!!
I do not even know if I need this stuff really. My car is running very sluggish. It coughs kind of. It just does not run the way a 5.0 should!

I figured this tune-up stuff would not hurt her!!
Old 7/25/06, 06:15 PM
Cobra R Member

I just bought some gas cleaner stuff. Sea-foam, I think. They said it was good so I bought it! I added that to the tank and tried to drive it for about 15 miles or so. I could not even get up to 60 MPH! It all sputtered and stuff. Sorry, I lost all my memories about cars so I do not know the terminology! I just know how my car sounds when it is running right. It does not sound even close to how I have had it!! It seemed to even not shift right! A guy who owns a local quick lube worked at a Ford dealership before. He is out of town until Monday. They say he can hook it up to a computer thing. I will see Monday, I guess.
Old 7/25/06, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHANGE FUEL FILTER!!!

It might help.
Old 7/25/06, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgsmuzzy
'94 & '95 V8's in Mustangs had distributors, '96 is when they went to coil packs with no distributors.
Old 7/26/06, 04:34 PM
Cobra R Member

My mechanic checked my fuel pressure and said it was fine. I had my filter replaced about 15,000 miles ago at a quick lube place. Thanks though!!!
I really appreciate all of your help. Sorry, I know nothing about cars now!
Old 7/26/06, 04:35 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Hey man, its cool. We are all here to learn, and even though we know stuff now (somewhat ) we all had to start at the beginning
Old 7/26/06, 06:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
When its hot out I often find a lot of people stuck on the road side they have gas and all it just quit, so I always check the gas cap open up and most times you here a slight woosh , so there was an air lock and letting air in fixes most of the time , or just my dumb luck . if in a humid climate I'll also use gas line anti freeze seems to help with moisture in the tank, so less sputtering. my 4.5 cents
Old 7/26/06, 08:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
When its hot out I often find a lot of people stuck on the road side they have gas and all it just quit, so I always check the gas cap open up and most times you here a slight woosh , so there was an air lock and letting air in fixes most of the time , or just my dumb luck . if in a humid climate I'll also use gas line anti freeze seems to help with moisture in the tank, so less sputtering. my 4.5 cents
I really am not understanding what you meant, sorry! So, I think, I should take my gas cap off. It may or may not swoosh. I always keep about a 1/4 of a tank in it at all times, if that matters. It is just running like crap! It runs OK up to like 30 MPH, gets worse form there! I tried today getting it up to 55, which was not happening! A mechanic who I trust gets back in town Monday. I guess I will have to wait till then. I am going to buy new plugs and wires anyhow though. I figure it will not hurt! Thanks!!

Sorry, not as an excuse, but I have some major brain damage. Sometimes stuff just does not make any sense to me! I reread it until it does though! I appreciate it!!!
Old 7/28/06, 11:04 AM
Cobra R Member

an update...

Yeah, my car is sick! Now it will die when the RPM's get to low. I went and bought new: wires, plugs, cap, rotor, and a coil. My mechanic gets her Monday @ 10. Thanks for all the much needed help!!!
Old 7/28/06, 11:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You could possibly have some bad fuel injectors. Just another thought.
Old 7/28/06, 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

I went and ran the injectors thing by my mechanic. He thinks they are good though. He says once he tunes me up, then he will be able to know, for sure. Thanks a bunch!
Old 7/31/06, 07:13 PM
Cobra R Member

another update

So, I had all my new stuff installed today. I had plugs, wires, a cap, a rotor, and a new coil. He put it all in and it still runs bad! I needed to replace all of that stuff though. He says he thinks it seems like it is not getting any gas or something. It idles fine, but when you give it gas it cuts out and coughs. He now thinks the fuel pump is gone bad. He is going to se about that in the morning is all I know. I was gone out of town so he did not get the green light to check other stuff. I am very weird about my car and he did not want to overstep his boundaries, which I truly understand! Thanks for all the help though!!!!
Old 7/31/06, 07:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem a little while ago. My father-in-law is a mechanic and the only person I let touch my car. We tested everything and there was nothing out of place. It turned out to actually be the gas. Once the tank was empty and refilled, the car ran fine.
Old 7/31/06, 08:38 PM
Cobra R Member

I thought of that. I added a fuel cleaner stuff when it was @ 1/2 a tank. I am not sure on what to do now though!! In the morning he is going to see if it is the fuel pump. I am just real stupid when it comes to cars. About all I can do is to fill it up and put air in the tires! My first job was a full service attendant. I worked with a guy who was a heck of a mechanic! I learned quite a lot from him! I woke up out of my coma like a different person!! Those memories are gone!! I could not rebuild an engine, but I knew the jest of it. I sure could have diagnosed it! Now, I am a bumbling mess. It is why I love having you to ask these little things to! A lot of this stuff I ask, I forget! I have to keep looking at it over and over for many days!! When I say thanks, it means more than y'all know of!
Old 7/31/06, 08:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Make sure to check your fuel lines for leaks or that they are not crimped.

Quick Reply: I need some advice!