1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Guess who drove a Mach 1 again....

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/04, 02:56 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@May. 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM
I say quit thinking about it, and quit driving it. Otherwise, the darkside will grab hold.
[smegal] Weez needs the Mach, weez wants the Mach........ [/smegal]

I crave a Mach 1 so bad. If it was (under)rated at 320hp and 350lbft I might already have bought one.

But there are so many things I love about the 05 to pass it up. And, since the power output is about equal, for me the choice is easier....except for the waiting.

Looking at the power, the uniqueness of the Mach 1 and the great deals you can get them for I can see why you guys went that route.

I can't promise no more test drives though. I just cannot help myself. I love to feel the kind of power I'll get with the 05. It makes me even more excited to get mine.

And I'll say it again....anyone whose going to buy an 05 GT that hasn't driven a V8 Mustang, let alone a 300+hp Mustang is in for a huge surprise.

I drove an 03 GT and an 03 Mach 1. The difference was more than I expected.
Old 5/8/04, 04:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dan, don't drive the Mach anymore. :nono:

It will end up following you home.
Old 5/8/04, 04:22 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Dan: Do you think there is a good possibility Ford will bring out a next gen Mach 1? Yes? Good! I am glad we cleared that up!

Wait for the '05 like you have said you would... for THE LAST 3 YEARS and if in a couple of years down the line a Mach 1 comes out you just trade the '05 in. If anything, a Mach 1 on the upcoming platform would be a lot better than the current one and it would be a lot closer to the real Mach 1s ('69 & '70). See? Problem solved!
Old 5/8/04, 05:13 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@May. 8th, 2004, 6:25 PM
Dan: Do you think there is a good possibility Ford will bring out a next gen Mach 1? Yes? Good! I am glad we cleared that up!

Wait for the '05 like you have said you would... for THE LAST 3 YEARS and if in a couple of years down the line a Mach 1 comes out you just trade the '05 in. If anything, a Mach 1 on the upcoming platform would be a lot better than the current one and it would be a lot closer to the real Mach 1s ('69 & '70). See? Problem solved!
You're right. Assuming I can find a well paying job, I can trade my car in for something better later on. At this stage in my life though, I only have one shot at things such as car purchases.
Old 5/8/04, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dan+May. 8th, 2004, 5:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ May. 8th, 2004, 5:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-1 BULLITT@May. 8th, 2004, 6:25 PM

You're right. Assuming I can find a well paying job, I can trade my car in for something better later on. At this stage in my life though, I only have one shot at things such as car purchases. [/b][/quote]
I'm in the same boat as you Dan. The GT is tempting me to buy asap! Let's also hope resale value on the GT is better than the current car. Then if something comes out better(Mach 1 / Cobra) you won't be loosing over 50% of the cars original value. B)
Old 5/8/04, 05:34 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by BlackRiderX+May. 8th, 2004, 7:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackRiderX @ May. 8th, 2004, 7:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Dan@May. 8th, 2004, 5:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-1 BULLITT
@May. 8th, 2004, 6:25 PM

You're right. Assuming I can find a well paying job, I can trade my car in for something better later on. At this stage in my life though, I only have one shot at things such as car purchases.
I'm in the same boat as you Dan. The GT is tempting me to buy asap! Let's also hope resale value on the GT is better than the current car. Then if something comes out better(Mach 1 / Cobra) you won't be loosing over 50% of the cars original value. B) [/b][/quote]
See, that's it, you shouldn't buy a car only to sell it. At least not me. I can't afford to. I also don't feel very good saying I'm going to sell the 05 down the road for something better BEFORE I EVEN BOUGHT THE DARN THING!!

I guess it comes down to the old saying Be happy with where you are in life.

My attitude is this:

Ford is only bringing out the GT for the first two years at least. There probably won't be a SE for at least that long and I may not even be able to afford it. The 05 has as much power as the Mach 1 and I personally am really attracted to the new car because of all the improvements (putting aside all the uniqueness and coolness of the Mach of course). I wanted an 03 Mach 1 very badly. Lucky for me, the 05 reaches or exceeds it.

So, I buy the best I can afford from what's offered which is a fully loaded 05 GT. I put it out of my mind that I will "trade up" to something better. You really need to in order to be completely happy with your purchase. Its a smart decision for many reasons: no more wait while the best days of your life are passing (being in my 20's), more affordable on many fronts, you get to have one of the first *new* mustangs and not have to watch others drive around in YOUR car for three years, etc...

Ford WILL come out with better models. If you can afford to upgrade in the future, great. If not, your still happy with your car because you made a good decision at the time.

Maybe I'm making too much of this but I've been thinking about GT vs. SE for the new car quite a bit. My biggest fear is not buying what I really want. The problem with that is your wants keep growing until they start to become irrational.

I'd almost like to thank Ford for only offering the GT. It has forced me to make a sound decision. In a way, they have GROUNDED ME from what was otherwise a problem of always wanted something better.

I almost refuse to drive a Cobra because it will downplay the appreciation of the Mach 1/05 GT's power. You keep thirsting for more.

I think I'm having "First Brand New Car Syndrome" or something. I need a psychologist.
Old 5/8/04, 06:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, let me put this in perspective a bit.

You're in your 20's. Life doesn't end tomorrow. A lot can CHANGE in a few years. Jobs, family, etc. I'm 31, and a lot has changed for me since my mid-twenties. (Jobs, family, etc.)

My situation is a little different. I got the instant satisfaction back in December (after deciding against the 03's Machs because no color GRABBED me. The orange did ) I also plan to keep this car until its paid off one way or another and get me a new one TOO. It just may be a few years down the road. I happen to love my car for its uniqueness. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And, in all seriousness, I would NOT drive a Cobra or the Mach again for that matter. Sooner or later you WILL break down. In reality the 05 will be an improved car, but you couldn't go wrong with either one (new GT, current Mach). The Mach is probably the most complete, well-rounded Mustang that's rolled out of Ford in a long time. The new GT will probably one-up it.

However (and it pains me to say this), I think your situation dictates you wait it out. We kid you about getting the Mach, but it's obviously fairly evident you've had your heart set on the new body style as well. If you didn't wait, you'd probably be upset with yourself in Oct/Nov. I say skip all test drives for the next 5 months, until the GT's hit the showroom. Then have at it, and get your GT.

Just don't get too upset in a few years when the new SVT and/or se's (Boss,Mach, etc) come out.
Old 5/8/04, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True words Jeff and Dan! I agree with both of you. When I bought my GT the new supercharged Cobra was announced the week after!!!! It didn't really bother me much because the Gt is a blast to drive!!! I was looking at the Cobras today and would love to own one. But I'm still happy with my GT. You just have to realize that next years model is always the same or even better than whats out now. The 2006 GT will probably be a better car than the 2005 and so on. Not only that but what if we wait for the Special edition cars and we ....gasp .... don't like it as much !!! Who knows what will be out next year. We could even have enough government HP crunch next year and then have to buy used to get a 2005.

Personally, I want a Shelby and have been vocal about it. But Ford hasn't made any info known about the possibility of one. Now let me say I HATE trading my cars. That is what is making this wait so hard for me. I have been waiting the last 2-3 years to see this car. Now I have to wait another 1-2 years to see if they will even build a new Shelby. That is some major dissapointment if they don't. But I already know that if I buy the 05 and a Shelby is built, I will trade up. So many of us are stuck in a loop right now. I just hope that when the 04s clear off the lot Ford lets us know something.
Old 5/8/04, 09:00 PM

Finances is a major factor to consider, no doubt, but so is selecting the car that one will be satisfied with without having ligering thoughts of "what if". Mustangs are great, but their depreciation sucks, proven by every model, from every year, without exception. Just think of what a '67 or '68 Shelby GT500 was going for 2 or 3 years later after they came out. I suppose that the '05s and beyond will suffer the same symptoms.

Old 5/8/04, 09:34 PM
GTR Member

Excellent points!

I must admit Dan, the primary reason I bought the Mach 1 was financial. I mean of course I wanted it once I drove it, but once I realized the deal I could get, I jumped on it. I knew that I would never be able to get a deal on an 05 like that. Plus, since this is my first new car, and love it soooo much, I'm going to keep it. Its a fixture next to the Saleen, and will not be sold or traded in.

Also, Jeff speaks the truth. Life doesn't end at 30, I'm 31 as well. My financial situation has stabilized and just 2 years ago, I never would have dreamed of owning this. Your patience will pay off, trust me.

In the end, go for what you want and the price you want. If you get both, you won't regret your purchase, and you'll be smiling years later when you drive it. I know you'll make the right decison.

If you don't make the right decision, I'm sending George up to see you with a baseball bat......and hot pink chaps.
Old 5/8/04, 11:55 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Guys, your posts were extremely thoughtful. I read each one over a few times. I appreciate your opinions and feel pretty darn good about my decision to buy a 05 GT right now. Thanks for your posts.

Jeff, Rob and George, you guys have a great car let me tell you! Enjoy it. Us 05 buyers can only hope the new GT lives up to the Mach 1.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 5/9/04, 02:31 AM
Bullitt Member

The dealerships around here refused to let me drive a Mach, since I'm only 20 I'm not trustworthy or something, even with a salesman riding with me. I mean, come on.
Old 5/9/04, 06:33 AM
GTR Member

Dan, the 05 will live up to expectations, and beyond. Your wait will be well worth it.

George, you can put the your pink chaps away.
Old 5/9/04, 05:05 PM

Dan -

That is SO funny!! I went and test drove a Mach 1 on Friday, too! But, it was my first test drive.

I absolutely loved it! Now, I'm trying to decide if I want it or wait for the '05.

I loved the nasty growl and the power. It's been about 7 or 8 years since I'd driven a stick - but I didn't have any problem.

Help me - I want the Mach 1 but I want to wait for an '05 GT.
Decisions - Decisions. What to do?? My husband is really trying his best to convince me to wait, but the deals they are having on the 2004's is SO tempting.

Well, maybe I'll post later this week about my new Mach 1. (HA HA)

- Lori
Old 5/9/04, 06:06 PM

Husbands are always right. Follow his advice. 0:-)
Old 5/9/04, 06:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lori, ya know, the real problem is that everyone that drives a Mach 1 wants one!

As it turns out I'm glad *I* didn't wait, as Mach's are getting very scarce on dealer lots here, and Oranges even more so (all 3 others that were within 150 miles of Nashville are now gone).

But, if you're not picky on color and you're not sure ... Just wait until the 05's are on the lot. If a Mach is available (I assume there will be one somewhere) test drive back-to-back, and pick one out.

The biggest mistake someone could make is to buy the Mach 1 now and decide they made a mistake in 6-7 months. Don't jump unless you're sure, otherwise wait for the 05's.
Old 5/9/04, 06:26 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@May. 9th, 2004, 8:14 PM
Lori, ya know, the real problem is that everyone that drives a Mach 1 wants one!

As it turns out I'm glad *I* didn't wait, as Mach's are getting very scarce on dealer lots here, and Oranges even more so (all 3 others that were within 150 miles of Nashville are now gone).

But, if you're not picky on color and you're not sure ... Just wait until the 05's are on the lot. If a Mach is available (I assume there will be one somewhere) test drive back-to-back, and pick one out.

The biggest mistake someone could make is to buy the Mach 1 now and decide they made a mistake in 6-7 months. Don't jump unless you're sure, otherwise wait for the 05's.
Once again, excellent advice Jeffery!

Lori, I really suggest you wait on the Mach 1. I have a feeling that the 05's will be just as much fun to drive. Mach 1's will still be around come October.

Deciding whether to wait for a SE two or three years down the line isn't the same as making a good decision between a Mach 1 and the new car when the 05 is coming out in 4-5 months. That timeframe really makes waiting the most logical choice.
Old 5/9/04, 08:06 PM

Thanks guys!! I'm trying to wait :bang:

I'm just a little worried about not being able to find a Mach 1 in a few months if I decide that's what I really want. They are really getting scarce around here. And, in all honesty, I think the Mach 1 will be worth much more in the future.

But, the 2005's are sooo awesome. B)

OK - OK - I'll wait !!

(maybe)

- Lori
Old 5/18/04, 04:17 PM
GT Member

I just checked out a mach today. It was yellow and though that isn't the color I would want... Wow. What a car. I'm glad I read through these posts too. Thanks.
I thought that I would want a 96 Mystic Cobra (I would like to have a modest mustang collection someday) for the time between when I pay off the coupe and when the special editions come out, but I may get a Mach in a couple years.
Old 5/18/04, 04:35 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
good choice in the Mystic

Quick Reply: Guess who drove a Mach 1 again....