1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Front Brakes... :/

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/13, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Brakes... :/

To start off I have a 2003 Mach 1. My front brakes have been "squealing/ squeaking" for a week or two. Today I went to my local Firestone for a break check, they told me that both my front calipers are "ceased" , the rotors are in need of replacing, basically I need new front brakes from the calipers to rotors to pads. They quoted me $987 for the whole job, it seems steep to me but I'm unsure. I don't know what I should do or what to buy, Id like to not spend more money than necessary. Advice?? Thanks
Old 5/21/13, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black03Mach1
To start off I have a 2003 Mach 1. My front brakes have been "squealing/ squeaking" for a week or two. Today I went to my local Firestone for a break check, they told me that both my front calipers are "ceased" , the rotors are in need of replacing, basically I need new front brakes from the calipers to rotors to pads. They quoted me $987 for the whole job, it seems steep to me but I'm unsure. I don't know what I should do or what to buy, Id like to not spend more money than necessary. Advice?? Thanks
That is a bit steep, I replaced my front calipers and brake pads and rotors last year. The calipers cost me about $120 for both, and the rotors and pads were another $150, so about $300 but I replaced them myself.
Also, I might be wrong, but the Mach 1's have the same Caliper as the 01 bullits, which use a bigger brake rotor ( 13in IIRC ) then the v6 and GT's, so this might raise the price up to about the $500-$600 range, if you buy all new/remaned parts .
I would recommend you do it yourself (if you can) , it's pretty easy, took me about 1 1/2 hours to do mine.
Old 5/21/13, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do the new soft hoses from the chassis to the caliper, as well. If you do the re-man calipers, be very careful when threading in the banjo bold, as the calipers are aluminum, and the re-man threads are VERY fragile...ask me how I know.
Old 5/21/13, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

bold=bolt, and I just did my brakes 1 month ago.
Old 5/21/13, 10:54 PM
GT Member

I'm pretty sure I can do it myself, just where do you recommend I buy the parts or what brands???
Old 5/21/13, 11:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't get OEM calipers from Ford, they rust almost immediately. I had to replace my rear calipers on my V6 and they put Ford OEM calipers on. I need to get the front brakes on my Mach 1 checked; I think there's something loose. Plus, every once and a while my ABS and Trac. Control lights come on simultaneously for about a minute then turn off.
Old 5/22/13, 12:17 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily take what Firestone tells you as absolute fact.They're notorious for running up people's bills for work that's not necessary. I just fixed a co workers car a couple weeks ago that Firestone claimed needed over $700 to fix, the only thing it needed was a cv axle. Which I'm not positive they aren't the ones who damaged it to begin with.
Old 5/22/13, 04:52 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylar
Don't get OEM calipers from Ford, they rust almost immediately. I had to replace my rear calipers on my V6 and they put Ford OEM calipers on. I need to get the front brakes on my Mach 1 checked; I think there's something loose. Plus, every once and a while my ABS and Trac. Control lights come on simultaneously for about a minute then turn off.
My OEM calipers are fine on my Mach.

I'm pretty sure I can do it myself, just where do you recommend I buy the parts or what brands???
Many options for replacement . . . except stock Brembo blanks with are not manufactured anymore.

I'd call (and have dealt with Mike R.) Tousley Ford for options with Rotors. Here is a recent post on svtperformance.com . . regarding a 2001 Cobra.

We are Tousley Ford parts depot selling all OEM Ford and Ford Racing parts at employee cost.

PLEASE, use the PM function or call us at 1-800-328-9552 ask for Steve or Mike R OR find us in our forum section http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...play.php?f=320

Or WWW.TOUSLEYFORDPARTS.COM
You have options,

OEM-
front rotors $139.69 each
rear rotors $83.99 each
front pads $116.58
rear pads $120.16

Motorcraft-
front pads $13.98
rear pads $13.98
Although AM looks like they have some stockers remaining . . . which I may pick up a set for myself!
http://www.americanmuscle.com/cobra-...es-rotors.html

Other Options . .
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Brake-Calipers

http://www.r1concepts.com/p-168419-o...l2=&submodel3=

Rebuild/Change Seals . .
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-calipers.html
Old 5/22/13, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Skylar

My oem calipers, and the re-man's were both aluminum...cant rust.
Old 5/22/13, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Vader99
I wouldn't necessarily take what Firestone tells you as absolute fact.They're notorious for running up people's bills for work that's not necessary. I just fixed a co workers car a couple weeks ago that Firestone claimed needed over $700 to fix, the only thing it needed was a cv axle. Which I'm not positive they aren't the ones who damaged it to begin with.

+++They told me my wife's pads were "paper thin", so I baught new front pads on my way home, and tore the front brakes apart only to find they had about 3/16" of pad left...changed them anyway.
Old 5/22/13, 03:33 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where you live? Ill look at them
Bullitt Member

Got all my parts recently(last 1 1/2 months) from O'Rielly's. Average stuff...course I did mine on the cheap. All's good though, as the brakes are performing perfectly, and for the type of driving I do, they are just adequate. If you have nice wheels, do yourself a favor, and go all ceramic pads. They dont dust up your wheels. I love running chrome wheels, and hate the dusty dirty wheels. Ceramic is the only way to go.
Banned

WHAT THE ****??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That's about $500 too much. If you need all that
Old 5/22/13, 04:12 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
WHAT THE ****??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That's about $500 too much. If you need all that
How so? Here in texas firestones labor rate is 100 $ an hour. Looking at 3-4 hours labor. Plus the parts (they dont buy the cheap autozone semi metallics), cheapest they buy are wagner thermoquites and they are somewhat high priced. Good rotors will probably be 60 bucks a piece. And then you still have calipers.
Old 5/22/13, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by texastboneking

How so? Here in texas firestones labor rate is 100 $ an hour. Looking at 3-4 hours labor. Plus the parts (they dont buy the cheap autozone semi metallics), cheapest they buy are wagner thermoquites and they are somewhat high priced. Good rotors will probably be 60 bucks a piece. And then you still have calipers.
Ok so here's parts
-pads $60
-rotors $60 ea
- calipers $80 ea?
So parts are $340

So $600 in labor sounds right? Guy I could buy the tools and do it myself and save $550. That's ****in nuts. That is absolutely ****ing insane. A thousand dollars for brakes. And how the **** do they know his calipers are seized. That's such bs.
Old 5/22/13, 05:45 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom

Ok so here's parts
-pads $60
-rotors $60 ea
- calipers $80 ea?
So parts are $340

So $600 in labor sounds right? Guy I could buy the tools and do it myself and save $550. That's ****in nuts. That is absolutely ****ing insane. A thousand dollars for brakes. And how the **** do they know his calipers are seized. That's such bs.
If you can find comparable or OEM Cobra/Mach/Bullitt calipers and 13" rotors for those prices please pass along links!!
Old 5/22/13, 05:57 PM

I think as long as you are not racing, its not a big deal which brand you go with for the total brake job. With time you'll find what brands work best for you. I agree with others here, what they are quoting you is a bit ridiculous, do it yourself if you can.
Old 5/22/13, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri

If you can find comparable or OEM Cobra/Mach/Bullitt calipers and 13" rotors for those prices please pass along links!!
Those were educated guesses. I order parts all day long.
Old 5/22/13, 08:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri

Old 5/22/13, 09:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...1044/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ebc-dp41131r

Reman calipers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-18-4766/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-18-4767/overview/

Quick Reply: Front Brakes... :/