1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Freon or Coolant?!

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/14, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freon or Coolant?!

So today I was driving my 2001 GT I just picked up over the weekend and I turned on my A/C and noticed a nice hiss sound occasionally when it is running. Coincidentally I noticed that I had a green fluid near my intake manifold on my passenger side near the back of my engine near the high and low a/c ports (the high and low ports have condensation on them). That green fluid could be oil/freon from the a/c and it is genuinely leaking and nothing else, OR I have a intake manifold leak AND I have a a/c leak.

Thoughts?!

I have never seen freon before and google isn't much help…

Any help would be great as I have had a bad intake manifold before with these. Lucky this car already has a Professional Products Satin Typhoon Intake Manifold (from the looks of it) so hopefully I'm correct and it is just a a/c leak.

The coolant level seemed to be slightly low when I purchased it, but I didn't notice any leaks and never used the a/c in the test drive to see if it happened then. I drove it about 500 miles since I got it and this is the first time I've used the a/c for more than a minute or two. The coolant light has not come on since I got it and the car never runs hot and my scanning software confirms that it doesn't run hot.

Thanks,
-Ben

Last edited by benjyc32; 10/13/14 at 08:44 PM. Reason: additional text was added that I felt was important information for diagnosis
Old 10/13/14, 08:46 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
They make refrigerant with a green dye in it so you can spot a leak. But it doesn't come like that from the factory.

Question is are you the only owner and has anyone ever serviced the AC before. If you can say definitely not then it's a good chance it's not refrigerant dye.

Also from using the product it does not make a mess. Sometimes it can be very hard to see. It would have to be a large leak to make much of a mess outside the size of a dime or so. It would be oily though as it is a lubricant added into the refrigerant or freon if you will.
Old 10/13/14, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

It is defiantly a noticeable hiss when I have the a/c on even at 70-80mph with a x pipe and magnapacks for my exhaust. It feels like it is slamming my a/c clutch when it happens too. And no I'm not the only owner, like I said I just picked it up this past weekend and the car fax said its had 5 owners since its original purchase in 2001. I'd love to say its just antifreeze and since the car has been all over the east coast with owners I'm sure the a/c has been either replaced or recharged.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
They make refrigerant with a green dye in it so you can spot a leak. But it doesn't come like that from the factory.

Question is are you the only owner and has anyone ever serviced the AC before. If you can say definitely not then it's a good chance it's not refrigerant dye.

Also from using the product it does not make a mess. Sometimes it can be very hard to see. It would have to be a large leak to make much of a mess outside the size of a dime or so. It would be oily though as it is a lubricant added into the refrigerant or freon if you will.
Old 10/14/14, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

It turns out that the nipple running from the heater core return line into my intake Manifold had a crack running the length of the nipple and thus causing it to leak. A quick run to the parts store and $4.36 later for the replacement and I was back on the road in 10 minutes