1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Dash Guages for a 97 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/04, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking for some time now for some replacement gauges for my dashboard.. I am not sure if I am not looking in the right places or what but I cannot find any for my Cobra. I have found tons of them for GTs but no Cobra :bang:

Does anyone know when I can get a set? like indiglo or something. The reason that I am looking is cause at dusk and dawn when it is kinda light out, I cannot see most of my speedometer and it makes it hard to tell how fast I am going.

any suggestions are appriciated....
Old 8/26/04, 10:19 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SlowRider@August 26, 2004, 9:37 AM
I have been looking for some time now for some replacement gauges for my dashboard.. I am not sure if I am not looking in the right places or what but I cannot find any for my Cobra. I have found tons of them for GTs but no Cobra :bang:

Does anyone know when I can get a set? like indiglo or something. The reason that I am looking is cause at dusk and dawn when it is kinda light out, I cannot see most of my speedometer and it makes it hard to tell how fast I am going.

any suggestions are appriciated....
Overlays are about the only way to go with you stock guage pod. Autometer makes the Luminar Series replacement for the GT's but not for the Cobra's.

If you are looking for a total replacement then I suggest Florida 5.0 These guys make complete replacement pods with Autometer guages.

Or you could wait till I finish changing the colors of my stock Cobra Pod to red. But that will be a while!
Old 8/26/04, 10:19 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

I'm in the same boat as you man. No one makes indiglo's for the 96-98 cobra's. I dont know why, but its really annoying. I'm going to talk to UPR and try to find out why. I'm wanting some really bad, especially since I had and loved them in my 00 gt previously. I've been searching for a year now and just no one makes em.
Old 8/26/04, 10:20 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by Sendero@August 26, 2004, 10:22 AM
Or you could wait till I finish changing the colors of my stock Cobra Pod to red. But that will be a while!
hmm what you working on willis?
Old 8/26/04, 10:22 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scothew+August 26, 2004, 10:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scothew @ August 26, 2004, 10:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sendero@August 26, 2004, 10:22 AM
hmm what you working on willis? [/b][/quote]
Know all that annoying green that you see when you look at the pod? I am taking one apart to see if I can change it to red. Then where the needles attach to the guages, I am going to have that glow red too.
Old 8/26/04, 10:23 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

My guages are more blue than anything.... i'd rather have it a purple color or darker blue. My a/c pod though I believe is a greenish.
Old 8/26/04, 10:57 AM

Thanks guys... if you find anything out let me know. I am so annoyed by my dash :angry: overlays will not solve the lighting issue but might look nice. but I need to solve the lighting issue..... you would thinkthat since they make them for the GTs how hard could it be to adapt them to the Cobra....

oh well... i guess it is one of the prices to pay for being in the "cobra club"...
Old 8/27/04, 02:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Where can you get some of these overlays? I'm thinking of redoing a '95 GT with either Mach 1 or Bullitt gauges.
Old 8/27/04, 12:16 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

the only way to get those guages are from ford.
Old 9/23/04, 04:24 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I think I just scored the jackpot on custom guages for our cars.

http://www.speedhut.com/el_detail.asp?cata...mber=148&bhcp=1
Old 9/24/04, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Scothew@September 23, 2004, 4:27 PM
I think I just scored the jackpot on custom guages for our cars.

http://www.speedhut.com/el_detail.asp?cata...mber=148&bhcp=1
Alright It is about time. I will start designing and order mine today. Hopefully they will not be hard to install.. I just glaced at the page so I will have to read some more.. B)

I will take before/after pics so that everyone can see the difference.

EDIT:
Just finished the order. here are the details of my design if you want to look at it..
E-FD-MST-10
Mustang Cobra (96-98) EL
REVERSE Jet Black w/ yellow Font
Font=Eurostyle Font
Red Shift line
Graphics = None
Logo 1 = FORD
Logo 2 = Cobra
Upgrade Inverter
Old 9/24/04, 10:05 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Please do. I am seriously going to order some in the next month or so, i'd like to know how you like then. I had some in my GT, and they look very similar to those. SHouldnt be a hard install. Just make sure you tap into the same wire that gets power when you turn your parking lights on. You'lll probably need a multi-meter to find out for sure.
Old 9/24/04, 10:17 AM

should be easy to install. the site says that they might just slide over current dials. we will see. It says it should ship in 2-3 business days so I might have them to install for next weekend. And I have a multimeter cause I am always playing with electronics
Old 9/24/04, 10:19 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

They should slide over. You May have to raise your needles slightly. Best way to do this is take a dinner fork and gentle push under the needle and use it to pry the needle up. I would refrain from taking any needles all the way off though. PITA to get back perfect.
Old 9/24/04, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Scothew@September 24, 2004, 10:22 AM
...I would refrain from taking any needles all the way off though. PITA to get back perfect.
I know about that because my last mustang -- a GT -- had white face gauges installed by the previous owner. He screwed something up because the RPMs sat at 1200 at idle everh though they were at normal levels :bang: It just made people think that I had major engine work done to have it idle that high B)
Old 10/2/04, 10:28 PM

I got the guages in. I have to find some tools then I will put them in. Once in I will take some picks and let you know.
Old 10/3/04, 11:11 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

awesome! Please post pics
Old 10/4/04, 07:43 AM

I will take some pics tonight of what they look like out of the package. I read the directions that they have and it seems simple enough But i am sure it will end up taking over an hour to install. One big change is you cannot wire it into your headlight **** for dimming. you have to use the one they supply. :angry: guess I got to find a good place to hide it. :bang:
Old 10/4/04, 10:03 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Hint on the hiding. I took mine and ziptied it to the air duct taht goes to your feet area. Just put it on the top part of it. (this was on my 2000GT, but i'm guesisng they are the same). It kept it out of the way and easy to access.

Did you get the upgraded controller?
Old 10/4/04, 09:28 PM

Yes I did get the upgraded controller. Mainly because they said it was smaller. B) I think I should be able to do this switch within the next couple of days. I got the camera ready for pics. I will have to remember to run outside and get a night pic before I do the work...

Here is a shot of the main guages I got... What do you think? My cobra is all Black and I like black and yellow together for some reason

http://lowers.741.com/mustang/GUAGES.JPG

If you don't see the pic, either copy and paste the URL or it is also on page to in a post :bang:

Quick Reply: Dash Guages for a 97 Cobra