1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Bad wheel bearings, rear differential, or other?

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/12, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad wheel bearings, rear differential, or other?

After I had my Clutch, flywheel, pilot bushing, and throw out bearing replaced... I noticed a different sound coming from my car. I'm not sure yet what it is related to. Keep in mind I had to replace those components after doing very destructive donuts... And the flywheel was changed over to an aluminum flywheel. With that in mind... The sound I hear is a mild howling sound.... Similar to that of new tires on the freeway. The sound intensifies after 50 mph and is the loudest between 50 and 60 mph. It seems a little different then a bad wheel bearing sound... But it still seems to come from the front and not the rear. The sound occurs while in neutral (clutch in or out) and also while in gear and does not seem to change with RPMs. I would imagine bad wheel bearings would get louder the faster you go... So I'm not sure if it is the wheel bearings, rear differential, transmission .... Or possibly the throw out bearing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 7/3/12, 12:07 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want to make sure it is not the wheel bearings then jack up the front and put your hands in the 12 and 6'o clock positions and try and move the wheel. Pull the top towards you and try pushing it away from you. If there is any play then it is a wheel bearing.
Old 7/8/12, 09:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
If you want to make sure it is not the wheel bearings then jack up the front and put your hands in the 12 and 6'o clock positions and try and move the wheel. Pull the top towards you and try pushing it away from you. If there is any play then it is a wheel bearing.
This.
Old 7/8/12, 12:09 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
While cruising and when it's making the noise, try swerving left to right a bit. If its a wheel bearing, the noise should change as you go from one side to the other. If no change, it's probably not in the wheels.
Old 7/8/12, 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Also to throw this out there.... the carrier bearings were shot in my diff and I had the same problem with the noise. Had them replaced, all's good. Unfortunately its not cheap and is a hard DIY project.