1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Bad review on the 4.6L V8

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/04, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We always post the good and bad here, heres the bad. Kinda hard to swallow. But hey mustang has been around for the same time hes probably been alive, and you can rest asure itll be around after hes gone.

Ford 4.6L Engine review
Old 6/22/04, 03:45 AM

Please tell me that this english s.o.a.b. is just kidding. They don't know poo about engines in england + they are driving on the wrong side!!!

:angry:
Old 6/22/04, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

9MPG? Come on, now he's just talking out of his @$$. Anyone can pop the hood of a car and say "well that looks like a piece of crap". where did this clip come from and whats this guys home address.....
Old 6/22/04, 10:59 AM

I believe that its a review from Top Gear, found it while scopin out z28.com's message forums. Nice to know some of them were on our sides.
Old 6/22/04, 03:04 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
the friggin brits.. darn them :P
Old 6/22/04, 03:22 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
i have a feeling there is more to that vid than what we are seeing. Kinda reminds me of Michael "creative editing" Moore
Old 6/22/04, 03:49 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
That's cool. We'll invite him to the next Boston Tea Party.

Old 6/22/04, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Well what he is saying is rather true.

It isn't a very good engine! 2 valves per cylinder is a very poor design for a modern OHC engine. It is made out of iron which has since been replaced by aluminum. It will get 9 mpg if you stomp on it, 56 horspower per liter isn't exactly impressive either.

Hopefully all fixed with the new 3valve
Old 6/22/04, 06:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@June 22, 2004, 3:52 PM
That's cool. We'll invite him to the next Boston Tea Party.

Then he's going overboard first.
Old 6/22/04, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by burningman@June 22, 2004, 3:25 PM
i have a feeling there is more to that vid than what we are seeing. Kinda reminds me of Michael "creative editing" Moore
Thats exactly what I thought when I saw this. He's not a great film maker, he's a sleazy guy who pastes clips together out of context.
Old 6/22/04, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by PearBear+June 22, 2004, 7:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PearBear @ June 22, 2004, 7:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-burningman@June 22, 2004, 3:25 PM
Thats exactly what I thought when I saw this. He's not a great film maker, he's a sleazy guy who pastes clips together out of context. [/b][/quote]
I am in total agreement with you guys. Great comparison!
Old 6/22/04, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I have no clue why Jermey said that. He loved the Ford GT's 5.4L mod motor. He had no complaints there. Blame Rover for not properly tunning it.
Old 6/22/04, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

The worst I've gotten on the corba is 8MPG, racing. Also that engine looks like an early 4.6 2v when they only made 215(?)hp
Old 6/23/04, 12:58 AM
V6 Member

lol... like the brits know anything about cars... the austin healy??? come on!!! theyre still pissed about the fact they no long own us... we saved them in WW2 and that our cars do less than 19 sec on the 1/4 mile!!! *******!!!!!
Old 6/23/04, 01:33 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
WHOA!!!!!!!

As a brit, this is a little scary!!!

Jeremy Clarkson is a God when it comes to Auto's. (he is getting the first new GT40 in the country and loves American cars). The 4.6L he is referring to IS the stock V8, but DETUNED down to less that 250bhp. The exhaust is restricted and sounds rubbish. I have driven one of these Rover Abhorations and absolutely hated it. The car's chassis had to be reversed so they could make it RWD. All in all, I cannot beleive that FMC let a near bankrupt British company with no affilliation use their flagship engines.

On the Jeremy Clarkson note, he owns about 10 cars, 4 of which are American. He did an excellent article on the GT40 while in Detroit and anyone who has seen Top Gear will know that the SN95 Mustang is in the Ice cold section of the cool wall.

SO THERE, also, please do not tarnish all brits with the same brush, there are some here that are quite sane
Old 6/23/04, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Even when I wasn't getting on it, my 2003 GT got shiznity gas mileage around town. Like, worse than the window sticker said. Probably around 13-15mpg. On the one long trip it took, it went from outside Charleston to about 30 miles outside of Knoxville on one tank of gas. It's a good engine for being mass produced as it is, but as people have already mentioned, iron is out, aluminum is in, as well as the 2v design being awful. The 4.6 3v should quiet a lot of critics.

I'll ignore the Michael Moore comments, as arguing with people over politics on the internet when you aren't insanely for one side of the spectrum or another yields nothing enlightening.

Oh, and the people making all the dumb "they drive on the wrong side and we saved them in the War and they're mad their cars are slow and we should have another Boston Tea Party blah blah blah" comments, please pull your heads out of your rectums and make real, informed remarks on the topic rather than blustering, mindlessly nationalistic (there's a difference from patriotic) popcorn farts.
Old 6/23/04, 08:18 AM
V6 Member

Kind of Off Topic -

I don't know if I would bash the British a whole lot. One Englishman bashes the 4.6l engine and now Mustang entheusiasts demand that London be carpet bombed! I don't quite think this is necessary. Keep in mind that except for the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, we have been as good of allies as there has ever been (Canada is pretty high up there though). My cousin was with the 214th field artillery in Gulf 1 and worked with British field gunnery crews. He has the utmost respect for British soldiers. The British did a better job of keeping Germany away from them than the French did. And yes, the British, in general are among the best of engineers. Many of the current aircraft types the world over are powered by Rolls-Royce designed engines. So what, one Englishman bashes a Mustang engine. We will be able to keep a close watch on most English cars - - - in the rearview mirror of our Mustangs. But then again - I think part of this is that we are jealous because they speak English better than we do. (Puts on double insulated flame suit.)
Old 6/23/04, 08:27 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by Rakshas@June 22, 2004, 5:22 PM
Well what he is saying is rather true.

The dude is wasting his time. High performance engines are not likely to be fuel efficient, nor will they be enviroment friendly. If he wants the 4.6 to be a hybrid type he should come up with a design and patent it.
Old 6/23/04, 08:40 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Here is the car, MG ZT 260. I like the wagon.

MG Rover launches the MG ZT 260 V8
MG Rover Group has launched the V8 powered MG ZT 260 V8, available in ZT saloon and ZT-T estate car formats, powered by a 260bhp 4.6-litre V8 engine that provides 410Nm of torque. The UK price at launch is £27,995 (€40,350). Rob Oldaker, MG Rover Group's Product Development Director, commented: "The MG ZT 260 V8 demonstrates our commitment to deliver cars of true pedigree and character. This is a truly rewarding car to drive. Our choice of a big, torquey engine has been vindicated as this is a deceptively quick and efficient cross-country car. The more you drive it, the more you appreciate its unique 'muscle car' character that flies in the face of our competitors' trend towards buzzy high-revving engines." He went on to say, "Its introduction means MG now has the broadest range in its 80-year history. The new V8 heralds the return of the practical British muscle car, and as an MG it's obviously great value too."

MG Rover says that the ZT 260 is a fully engineered evolution of the front-wheel drive ZT. It is powered by the Ford 4.6-litre V8 engine. The ZT 260 features Tremec's TR3650 five-speed manual gearbox, manufactured in North America, extensively modified to meet MG's needs and with gearing to suit the demands of European driving. The rear axle features Dana's Hydratrak limited slip differential system, which utilises vane-pump principles to ensure continuous and seamless torque transmission to both rear wheels in the event of wheel speed differential.

Old 6/23/04, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wow, such hostility. He blasted the engine in my car, so what, he's got the right to say his opinion. I like my car, that's all I care about. You guys should be slamming Road and Track for their bias comparison of the Cobra and GTO. I wonder what Pontiac had to offer them to make the last sentence something to the effect "Tired old Mustang".

Quick Reply: Bad review on the 4.6L V8