1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Bad fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/14, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad fuel economy?

Driving my car at 110 km/h for over 100 km cars down to 3/4 tank is that normal, this is all hwy driving. In city I would probably get at half a tank at 132km.

My car does idle nice until she's warmed up, then starts hesitating, chugging or the idle drops from 900. To 500 but doesn't stall almost does sometimes it does that twice and the idles normal at a red light some times it keeps doing it until I drive again

Need help please thanks!!

1996 ford mustang gt 4.6 sohc. 316448 kms on body. Car runs beautiful other then my idle situation anyone have a similar problem and found a common fix??

Here's a pic of where my fuel gauge is at 136km hwy driving

And also I added a link from a while ago, of my idle dropping and going back to normal I've checked for vac leaks but have non

Please help anyone thanks for all your guys input!!!
Attached Thumbnails Bad fuel economy?-image-3112841294.jpg  
Old 3/4/14, 04:33 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Probably time for the routine maintenance type of stuff. Plugs need changing, throw a few bottles of injector cleaner in the fuel tank over a couple fill ups, change the air filter, clean the MAF sensor, clean the throttle body, etc.
Old 3/5/14, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the IAC on the throttle body for your up and down idle problem.
Old 3/7/14, 07:03 PM

Sounds good, I heard cleaning the iac, tob, can cause more problems I'll change my plugs and I have the k&n filter, the one you can wash and re use, I've cleaned it before winter, but could do it again, same with my maf sensor noticed a difference for a minute then went back to the same should I maybe get a different filter other then oil based one from k&n?
Old 3/9/14, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your K&N should be OK, after you cleaned it.Just don't over oil it. The IAC , Ford say not to clean them. But i have did mine's a few time with no problem.Hope that help you narrow down the problem.
Old 3/26/14, 07:39 PM

Sorry for the long reply, but nice weather I finally took off my iac, cleaned it but noticed about an inch on black gunk, inside the hole from the iac to the throttle body, should I be taking it off and cleaning it out, with what? Lol I used mass air flow cleaner for my iac. And this did not. Change my idle hesitation, I think the dirty throttle body, and how do I go about cleaning it?
Old 3/26/14, 07:41 PM

Sorry it was the seafoam spray and lube I used to clean my iac. Would it be safe to just use that stuff, and is that gasket to the intake and the one it the throttle body rubber? Would I get away with using them again, I was able to do it with my iac
Old 3/27/14, 07:06 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm not sure what the gasket is made from, but I've never had a problem reusing it. Take it off, and use some throttle body cleaner on it. Spray some cleaner on a cloth, and clean what you can inside the neck of the intake manifold too, since you're already there.
Old 3/28/14, 05:13 PM

Ahh thanks for the tip! Do you think that would help with my fuel economy and the idle surging cleaning the iac has made a little difference but for my throttle body, my pedal does not stick but when the cars idling or I hit the gas I can hear this sucking noise coming from around the throttle body could this fix that sound? And I hope it doesn't lead to anything major I'm scared of doing it cause I don't wanna break somethin ahah thanks tho! I gotta get some throttle body cleaner, could I get away with using the seafoam spray and lube, like I did on my iac, says on the bottle safe for intake systems