1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Almost Bitten By a Snake

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/04, 03:43 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I just couldn't resist.

Today when going to pick up my now fixed digital camera I stumbled into one of the largest SVT dealers in Canada just to take a peek.

Now, when I was at this dealership previously I just looked at those beautiful cobras sitting out front. I told a friend of mine that I refuse to test drive them because I might be tempted. He said "Why not drive it just to know how it feels".

Well, today boys and girls. I know how a 03 Cobra feels. I test drove a used 2003 Cobra. That being said, I don't own one.

First off, for anyone who hasn't driven an 03 or 04 Cobra..........you don't know what kind of ***** this thing has. Incredible. Imagine the difference between a GT and a Mach. Now imagine that difference over the Mach. That's pretty close.

The thing never felt like it ran out of breath. It just kept pulling strong through the whole rev range.

I hit 120km/h on the highway before I knew it. I seriously felt like I was only going 90km/h. Regular speed limits felt WAY too slow for this car.

Taking corners, there was NO roll. It stuck firm to the asphalt.

The bucket seats actually gave me a good 2" of headroom, more than the Mach 1 or the GT. Side bolstering was very good.

Now, my grievances:

Clutch pedal effort is huge. It would be a pain to drive in traffic. Couldn't wait to put it in neutral at the stoplight.

Gearbox is VERY clunky.

Bolsters in the seat made it too narrow for my wide (not fat) frame and I felt that I was sitting on the sides of them which was uncomfortable.

Last, a minor complaint but the gauges were kinda small. I'd like a bigger Tach and Speedo.

So I guess you figured out that I didn't buy one but that's not to say I wasn't tempted.

After, we went into his office to discuss pricing (my end of the bargain for going on a T/D). I asked him what x-plan was on a $48,700 ? 2004 Torch Red Cobra Coupe. He said $44, 300. He also said that there was $2000 in rebates. Plus, I graduate this year which is another $1000. Plus, I have my probe which I could maybe get $3000 for. So, I'm thinking $38,000 + tax might be manageable.

Then I say I'm going to think about it. He says "what will it take to get you to buy one today". Jokingly (refering to the new car) I say $36,000. He says, not on the new one but on that used car you drove with 7,000km. I say, not bad but I still have to think about it. He then says $35k, and again I refuse. Then he says 34k.

Now he has me grinning.....not because I want the used car, but because if he is willing to come down to 34k for a slightly used car, I'm sure he could come down on the new 04. Maybe even $40k-$42k before rebates and trade in. That I could afford.

But I don't think I'm going to buy it.

At this point in time though, I REALLY need for to serve up an SE. Once you've tasted that kind of power, its addictive. That being said, power isn't everything. I'll have to test drive the new car but I still stand by my opinion that this car will be worth it.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my little experience.

No more test drives........I've driven all the mustangs...... I'm done.
Old 7/5/04, 03:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are you sure I can't tempt you with a 1.4L Ford focus?..........

YOU GIT!!!!!!!! I couldn't dream of just taking one of them for a test drive for the fun of it!!!!!!!!!
Old 7/5/04, 04:05 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dano,

Please PM me your home address so I can come to your house and personally punch you in the face.

Didn't we have a little discussion of you and your testdriving habits?

Go to the Ford show in oakville in July, maybe you'll get a chance to sit in an '05, and make a decision then. Don't jump on this too quickly. Remember, you have Canadian winters to contend with and there is NO WAY you should be driving that car in the snow.

Make a dentist appointment in advance c:
Old 7/5/04, 04:17 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@July 5, 2004, 4:08 PM
Dano,

Please PM me your home address so I can come to your house and personally punch you in the face.

'nuff said!! :bang:
Old 7/5/04, 04:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I think Galaxie may have company with one or two of us! What are you thinking?!

DON'T DO IT! In fact, if I were you I'd plan your driving routes to take you AWAY from Ford dealers at this point!
Old 7/5/04, 04:39 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
If you can get him to come down to your price so you don't have to sell the Probe, keep the Probe for the winters!! That way everybody wins!!

Always Evil!!
Old 7/5/04, 05:08 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Move down here to florida with your new cobra so i can blacken your other eye and take your keys
No winters here :P
Old 7/5/04, 05:39 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

LMFAO!!!! Four threats from people wanting to punch me in the face. That's a record.

Galaxie, I could give you my home address......but you wouldn't beat a fellow 05 GT/SE owner would you??

You guys have to understand, the Cobra has always been my favorite car and I had to drive one. I can't make an uninformed decision.

But I can tell you, I drove the Cobra and as impressive as it is, I feel that the new car has a lot more to offer. Now I don't think there is such a thing as too much power under 500hp but as a daily driver it might not be the best choice (especially in wet conditions, this thing can definately break loose on you). Sometimes too much power doesn't make the best car.

Anyway, I've driven all the SN95's. Now I can say without hesitation that I WILL BUY AN 05. PERIOD.

So no more test drives and there'll be no regrets. Hopefully the fact that I chose an 05 over even a Cobra should make some of you feel even better about that same decision.

Now, you guys mind taking me off your hit list or what!?!?!
Old 7/5/04, 06:05 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Dan it's just because we care
Old 7/5/04, 06:24 PM

Yeah, we won't blacken the eyes this time ...

But, I do agree. I drove a Cobra as well -- and they are monstrously powerful .. But my car is a daily driver. I can't afford THREE car payments, so I had to find the Mustang I wanted as a daily driver. The Mach was the all around more rounded car in my opinion.

For me, the 04 Mach was the right decision. I love the car and the look of it. I'll get my 05+ in a few years.
Old 7/5/04, 06:36 PM
GT Member

I'm thinking Dan has a problem, It's like going cold turkey, he tries to stay away, but he hears the carss callling him... Dannnnvrooom vrrrooom Oh Dannnnn Vrrrrooom... and he has to go....I think they are going to have to start posting mounties at all local ford dealers to keep him out....
But Seriously Dan, I can't wait to hear about your next trip to ford....
Old 7/5/04, 06:48 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, Dano, I'm gonna kick your butt!!!

Seriously, at what number would you have said yes????
Old 7/5/04, 07:31 PM

He better say "None" or "Free" or a variation thereof.
Old 7/5/04, 07:34 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by mr-mstng@July 5, 2004, 7:51 PM
For a good time, offer him $50.

Old 7/5/04, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Sonic Blu Stang@July 5, 2004, 7:39 PM
I'm thinking Dan has a problem...
You think?

Old 7/5/04, 07:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Gosh... I'm even more mad because I've never driven a car!
Old 7/5/04, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Dan@July 5, 2004, 4:46 PM
Gearbox is VERY clunky.

Dan you're wrong. Just about every Mustang I've driven will do that on low rpms. It's all on having the engine's right rpms when the clutch is released and getting used to where to the shorter shifts are. Practice makes perfect.

:drive:

BTW. Expect the '05 GT to have a clutch similar to the Mach 1's, which is heavier than today's GTs. As you probably know, the additional hp and gears will require it.

Old 7/5/04, 09:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+July 5, 2004, 9:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 BULLITT @ July 5, 2004, 9:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dan@July 5, 2004, 4:46 PM
Gearbox is VERY clunky.

Dan you're wrong. Just about every Mustang I've driven will do that on low rpms. It's all on having the engine's right rpms when the clutch is released and getting used to where to the shorter shifts are. Practice makes perfect.

:drive:

BTW. Expect the '05 GT to have a clutch similar to the Mach 1's, which is heavier than today's GTs. As you probably know, the additional hp and gears will require it.

. [/b][/quote]
I admit I could be wrong...but I'm not talking about when I engage the clutch, but when I shift into a gear before engaging the clutch.

Maybe I'm being too picky but compared to my PGT (which has an extremely smooth gearbox and light clutch) the Cobra felt a bit clunky. But I will admit, the "VERY" was probably an overstatement and you're right, even the GT and Mach can feel like this. George, you'd know better than I anyway so I'll take your word for it.

BTW, the new stang will probably have a much lighter clutch based on feedback from people who have sat in it.

George, don't get me wrong, this car DOES rock.....I just think it needs a touch of refinement. That, or I'm just trying to bias myself towards the 05.
Old 7/5/04, 09:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by mr-mstng@July 5, 2004, 8:51 PM
Hey, Dano, I'm gonna kick your butt!!!

They'd have to pay me to take it <looks at Jeffery for approval>
Old 7/5/04, 09:20 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT+July 5, 2004, 9:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 BULLITT @ July 5, 2004, 9:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mr-mstng@July 5, 2004, 7:51 PM
For a good time, offer him $50.

[/b][/quote]
Nope, my rates have gone up 3% because of inflation.

Quick Reply: Almost Bitten By a Snake