1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

03 gt engine Qs

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/05, 03:14 PM
vld
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only one Q really: what makes good hp and tq on this engine?
Old 9/20/05, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

nitrous = good hp and insane torque
s/c = good hp and good torque
turbo = insane hp and insane torque

seriously there arent a whole lot of major gains to be had like the old 5.0s. The heads can be ported for a few more hp, and you can change intakes to gain top end hp, but typically at the sacrifice of at least some low end torque.

Small mods will add up though, like an upper intake plenum, throttle body, maf, pulleys, exhaust, cai, they all add up but if you want BIG numbers only a power adder will do. The 4.6 repsonds well to all of the power adders if done correctly and tuned properly.
Old 9/23/05, 08:24 AM
V6 Member

Some kind of power adder/Forced induction is the biggest gains you will get. Lots of ways to do it...turbo and supercharger as listed above, but lots of options there also...i.e...single or twin turbos, screw type or centrifugal supercharger, intercooled, aftercooled, air-to-air, air-to-water, what PSI, associated parts, fuel injectors (size?) high flow fuel pump ,larger lines/rails, pressure regualtor, standard or returnless.

So many options...so little $$$

Me? P1-SC from Procharger.
Why? Intercooled, self contained unit. No extra exhaust plumbing (saves space and heat added to the air charge) no tapping the oil line to lube the head unit. (danger lies in, if the engine oil becomes contaminated, you just contaminated your turbo, which, DUH, pushes air into your block, therefore potential for MORE damage. This also works vice versa if the turbo fails.)
Old 9/24/05, 07:29 AM
vld
GT Member

I am used to a 5.0. So many different ways to make power with that engine it ridiculous and so many of those can be done on the cheap. For the time being I want to go na. My new baby still has warranty. She came with a kn kipk. I am picking her apart to determine what else may have been molested. Any way to identify ud pulleys?
Old 9/24/05, 09:28 AM
V6 Member

Measure the diameter of the crank/water pump/or AC pulleys and post it and i'll check mine and tell you if they are or not... Gotta find a tape measure first...
Old 9/24/05, 02:07 PM
vld
GT Member

never mind. just went to measure and they all have ford stamps. thanks though.
Old 10/2/05, 11:54 AM

pullies, mass air, throttle body, cold air induction.. all of these give you a decent hp/ torque.