1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Upper intake and injectors technical questions

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/13, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper intake and injectors technical questions

Hello everyone,

I have the mysterious sputter/misfire/high rpm backfire issue. People here suggested me to replace injectors...

So I decided to remove upper intake in order to reach the injectors. The process did not go without adventures. Below I list some of the questions that for me are big deal but for you guys probably very easy stuff. I would highly appreciate any input!

1. I broke the hose that goes from valve cover to intake. Unfortunately I have no clue of how it is called and whether advance auto has it. Do you guys know where can I get one of these ?
[click to enlarge]

2. The back of the upper intake is connected to the thick high voltage wires with plastic "thingies". Unfortunately, I damaged the housing of the high voltage wires. Is it bad? can I fix it somehow without replacing the whole thing ?

[click to enlarge]

3. As the intake was removed the underneath of it looks really greasy and ugly. The oil is very sticky and disgusting. Is this normal ? (2001, 175k miles)

[click to enlarge]

4. The gasket looks pretty good on the intake , can I reuse it ? If yes, is there some kind of sealant or something I should use ?

[click to enlarge]

5. The injector rail looks intimidating... What is the right strategy when it comes to disconnecting the fuel line so that excessive squirting is avoided ?

Thanks to you guys, I have confidence to do work on my own !

Last edited by Levine; 4/22/13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 4/24/13, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) just take the hose into autozone and show them the picture pretty sure they will have it, they might have to order it though

2) doesn't look too bad. Electrical tape it? Or replace it. Same as 1

3) yes it will be greasy it's had hot oil inside for 175k miles

4) should replace the gasket. Won't seal right if u don't.

5) I don't know
Old 4/24/13, 10:12 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Is it a rubber hose? I can't tell well on my phone but if it is, just get a fuel line hose cut to the size you need.

2. As long as none of the wires are cut, just wrap it with electrical tape.

3. Yes it will be dirty, just give a good cleaning before you reassemble.

4. No, do not use the old gasket.

5. Never took the rail off, but make you you discharge the lines. Do that by pulling the fuse for the fuel pump. Usually you would crank the car a few times, but since you have the intake off don't do that. You can relieve the pressure on the valve in the motor, or just unhook a line somewhere and drain what you can out of it.