1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Turn Signals will not work!!! HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/12, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signals will not work!!! HELP...

Hey there guys... I am in the process of bringing my 1994 V6 up to specs. There are quite a few things I am DIY repairing or paying to repair to have things fixed. One of the things I am trying to figure out is the turn signals that are not working at all. It is pretty frustrating. I replaced the Turn Signal Switch and the Turn Signal Relay and still nothing. The lights on the front work, because the orange/yellow markers are on while I am driving, but when I hit the turn signal switch, I get nothing at all. Any ideas?!?! Thanks...
Old 9/4/12, 10:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by devanslive
Hey there guys... I am in the process of bringing my 1994 V6 up to specs. There are quite a few things I am DIY repairing or paying to repair to have things fixed. One of the things I am trying to figure out is the turn signals that are not working at all. It is pretty frustrating. I replaced the Turn Signal Switch and the Turn Signal Relay and still nothing. The lights on the front work, because the orange/yellow markers are on while I am driving, but when I hit the turn signal switch, I get nothing at all. Any ideas?!?! Thanks...
There are two circuits in the front parking/turn/side marker lamps. Each bulb has two filaments. One dim and one bright. The dim filament operates with the parking lamps and head lamps and the bright filament flashes with the turn signals and hazards.

First thing to check is always the fuse. Next would be the flasher unit. Since you already replaced the turn signal switch then I would check for a loose or shorted wire in the circuit. You need a diagram of the turn signal switch from a service manual to check the wiring circuits. It won't be an easy DIY fix if you do not have good automotive electrical experience.
Old 9/4/12, 10:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Just throwing it out there, but a few weeks ago the multifunction switch broke in my Explorer (turn signal wouldn't cancel itself, had to flip it manually). Replaced the multifunction switch and the turn signals wouldn't work at all. Parking lights worked, wipers worked, etc. but turn signals wouldn't.

Checked everything I could think of, took the multifunction switch back out, my buddy at the parts store swapped it for me just to make sure. Sure enough, turn signals worked, the brand new one was bad right out of the box.
Old 9/4/12, 10:51 PM

Hmmm... I guess I will need to take it to a mechanic after checking the fuse... Thanks!
Old 9/5/12, 05:15 AM

So you think my new multifunction switch may be bad?
Old 9/5/12, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by watchdevil
There are two circuits in the front parking/turn/side marker lamps. Each bulb has two filaments. One dim and one bright. The dim filament operates with the parking lamps and head lamps and the bright filament flashes with the turn signals and hazards.

First thing to check is always the fuse. Next would be the flasher unit. Since you already replaced the turn signal switch then I would check for a loose or shorted wire in the circuit. You need a diagram of the turn signal switch from a service manual to check the wiring circuits. It won't be an easy DIY fix if you do not have good automotive electrical experience.
So would you recommend checking the bulb first before going to the mechanic to have the electrical checked? The weird thing is the hazard lights do work when I press the button at the top of the steering column.
Old 9/5/12, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Just throwing it out there, but a few weeks ago the multifunction switch broke in my Explorer (turn signal wouldn't cancel itself, had to flip it manually). Replaced the multifunction switch and the turn signals wouldn't work at all. Parking lights worked, wipers worked, etc. but turn signals wouldn't.

Checked everything I could think of, took the multifunction switch back out, my buddy at the parts store swapped it for me just to make sure. Sure enough, turn signals worked, the brand new one was bad right out of the box.
So you are saying after all is said and done I may need a new multi-function switch?
Old 9/6/12, 12:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So would you recommend checking the bulb first before going to the mechanic to have the electrical checked? The weird thing is the hazard lights do work when I press the button at the top of the steering column.
If your turn signals do not flash at all on either side regardless if it is front or back then it's not the bulbs.

It's possible for the hazard lights to work correctly because they operate from power supplied from the brake lamp circuit which is hot all the time.. Your Mustang uses a single flasher unit for both turn signals and hazards. Since your hazards work correctly, that assures you that your problem is not in any of the wires running to any of the lamps front or rear and it assures you that none of your bulbs nor ground wires are bad.

The way the hazard switch operates in your Mustang is that when you press the button for hazards, it deactivates the function of turn signals and vice versa.

Look at the diagram below. The turn signal circuit is on a fuse that is on only when the ignition is in the run position. The hazards operate off the brake lamp fuse that is hot all the time.

Your problem is either a fuse for the turn signal circuit or simply a bad turn signal switch or broken wire or connection going to that circuit. If your back-up lights work then it's probably not the fuse because the turn signals and back-up lamps operate off the same fuse.

In the diagram below, check the purple/orange wire going from the fuse "hot in run" which should have 12v constant current with the key on. If it does not then it's the fuse. Also check the light blue wire from the flasher to the turn signal switch. If the light blue wire has 12v power alternating on and off then the problem is the turn signal switch.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/6/12 at 12:54 AM.
Old 9/6/12, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by watchdevil
If your turn signals do not flash at all on either side regardless if it is front or back then it's not the bulbs.

It's possible for the hazard lights to work correctly because they operate from power supplied from the brake lamp circuit which is hot all the time.. Your Mustang uses a single flasher unit for both turn signals and hazards. Since your hazards work correctly, that assures you that your problem is not in any of the wires running to any of the lamps front or rear and it assures you that none of your bulbs nor ground wires are bad.

The way the hazard switch operates in your Mustang is that when you press the button for hazards, it deactivates the function of turn signals and vice versa.

Look at the diagram below. The turn signal circuit is on a fuse that is on only when the ignition is in the run position. The hazards operate off the brake lamp fuse that is hot all the time.

Your problem is either a fuse for the turn signal circuit or simply a bad turn signal switch or broken wire or connection going to that circuit. If your back-up lights work then it's probably not the fuse because the turn signals and back-up lamps operate off the same fuse.

In the diagram below, check the purple/orange wire going from the fuse "hot in run" which should have 12v constant current with the key on. If it does not then it's the fuse. Also check the light blue wire from the flasher to the turn signal switch. If the light blue wire has 12v power alternating on and off then the problem is the turn signal switch.

Wow, okay. That is a lot. Thank you for the in depth response. I guess I will need to get someone with some electrical expertise to take a look at things.