1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Supercharging my six-pot w/ ATI Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/04 | 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sup Y'all?

Lately i've been thinking about the next gen stang a lot and I really can't wait till I get my hands on one. Unfortunately, due to my current situation, I'm going to have to wait a bit (maybe a couple years??? ) until I graduate college and pay off my current stang, an 03 redfire v6. Anyways, until I am able to afford a new stang, I plan on doing some mods to my old six shooter to make it more enjoyable and also to liven things up a bit more (I used to have an 87 5.0 LX that I nearly beat to death in high school that I sold to get a new car, so getting a v6 is kind of a step down performance wise).

One of the main projects that I plan to do and certainly is also of major concern for me is to supercharge my v6. I plan on getting the intecooled ATI Procharger P1-SC kit that is set for 11psi. I've had friends that have had v6 using vortech blowers, but the ATI kit is kind of new. Would I have to change some internal parts (i.e. pistons, rods, new intake, etc. to make it more "bulletproof" and make it less susceptible to detontion) or can I just leave it stock? I know I have to upgrade to bigger fuel injectors, but would stock gt or cobra injectors do the trick? Also, I've heard that this kit produces a lot of horsepower (at least 300+hp) so would the stock 7.5" rear handle all that power or would I have to swap an 8.8" from a gt. One last thing....I have a stock AODE tranny in my stang so would I need to upgrade the tranny (probably get a torque converter, shift kit, etc)? My car has almost 45,000 miles on the odometer, because I use it as my daily driver to school and work, plus I drive my friends around alot, so would the mileage be bad for supercharging, or would I need to rebuild the engine? Oh I forgot one other thing....would I need to change gears as well, probably switch to 3.73 or 4.10's?

I would like to be able to outrun a stock GT and maybe give a Mach 1 a good run for its money. That would be sweet. Well, thanx for your time!
Old 10/7/04 | 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

11 p.s.i. sounds like a lot for a V6 engine to handle. I would think that 8-9 would be THE max, but I'm not familiar with the strength of the 3.8L. You would definitely want to get at least 3.73 gears with that setup, as the stock gears are pretty high, I think. But, you're getting into some pricey stuff if you do all that.
Old 10/7/04 | 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

From what I've heard, the only things I might have to change to the engine are the bigger fuel injectors and/or pumps and a aftermarket chip. I could be wrong. I might have to get an 8.8 rear too, because I don't think the 7.5 will hold up the 300+hp easily. Maybe some sixers out there that has used this ATI kit could clear things up a bit?
Old 10/8/04 | 10:54 AM
GT Member

Check cardomain. I've seen plenty of V6 stangs with nearly 400 HP using the Procharger setup.
Old 10/12/04 | 12:43 AM
V6 Member

I most definetly think you'll need a 8.8 rear. I think the 7.5 starts giving out at about 300 hp. You need 42 lb./hr. fuel injectors and a custom chip calibration (possibly fuel pump, I don't remember). If I'm not mistaken you'll definetly want a shift kit/torque converter or I think you'll fry your tranny. Don't quote me on that, I'm not too familiar with the autos. As for speed, ATI ran a 99+ V6 with the 11 psi kit and 3.73 gears and got a 13.4 or 13.3. I wouldn't trust the internals to hold up to 11 psi too long, although I've heard stories of them surviving worse.
Old 10/29/04 | 05:00 PM

coy miller sc v6 tbird......

http://www.speedtospare.com/turbo351/shoot...Miller-1085.mpg
Old 10/29/04 | 05:03 PM

the is what i can find right now....that when he was running high 11's he ran a high 10 in the above vid......

The engine is Coy's standard SII engine which has a factory 3.8L crankshaft, factory heads (CMRE custom ported), factory block, and factory firing order. The heads have Coy's R upgrade. (There is NO changed/odd fire crankshaft or different firing order).

http://www.coymiller.com
Old 11/4/04 | 10:28 PM

Supercoupes for the win. Just swap a SC engine in there and mod that. The SC engine has a forge crank and can handle around 350-400hp stock no problem.
Old 11/5/04 | 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why don't I just swap in the forged crank? Will that work? I don't really want to do any engine swapping. I want to be able to use the stock factory block thats in the car right now. Thanx for the suggestions though. Any others?
Old 11/12/04 | 10:39 PM
Cobra Member

QUOTE TR2002:

"DO NOT get the tuner kit.

you dont need their piece of **** chip, or pump at all. they are garbage

however these are the things you WILL need.

first and foremost, the search button. use it. you can answer your own questions. this information is common here.

now, for what you will need

P1-SC system.
Intercooler 2-core is fine for your v6
K&N High-Flow Filter System <comes standard with all their kits>
Larger Fuel Injectors (for boost levels above 5 psi.) <yes, you will want either 36# tops for 7psi, or 42# for 11 psi
Boost Gauge (tuning purposes) <good idea>
Fuel Pressure Gauge (tuning purposes) <good idea>
Air Fuel Ratio Gauge (tuning purposes) <50/50 on this. i have one, but most say it is a light show. i however think it is good just to monitor things.>

A-Pillar Pod <youll need that for your gauges.

SVT focus 300 lph fuel pump A MUST HAVE!

either a Pro-M univer or 80mm lightning MAF. MUST HAVE!

and as ohiohalk stated, a dyno tuned SCT chip. accept no substatute for the SCT chip and tune if you are going blown. a mail order may be close, but that margin of error could cost you a piston or two.

get it on the dyno or dont drive it."

-Im a member of 3.8 aswell as here and I thought this post would help you out quite a bit with what to get and what not to get. I quoted it from a guy who I think is a S/C god :worship: lol anyways hope this helps
Old 11/12/04 | 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

QUOTE TR2002:

however these are the things you WILL need...

P1-SC system.
Larger Fuel Injectors (for boost levels above 5 psi.) <yes, you will want either 36# tops for 7psi, or 42# for 11 psi
Air Fuel Ratio Gauge (tuning purposes) <50/50 on this. i have one, but most say it is a light show. i however think it is good just to monitor things.>

and as ohiohalk stated, a dyno tuned SCT chip. accept no substatute for the SCT chip and tune if you are going blown. a mail order may be close, but that margin of error could cost you a piston or two.

-Im a member of 3.8mustang aswell as here and I thought this post would help you out quite a bit with what to get and what not to get. I quoted it from a guy who I think is a S/C god :worship: lol anyways hope this helps
Old 11/13/04 | 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SlamMan02@November 12, 2004, 11:43 PM
QUOTE TR2002:

however these are the things you WILL need...

P1-SC system.

-Im a member of 3.8mustang aswell as here and I thought this post would help you out quite a bit with what to get and what not to get. I quoted it from a guy who I think is a S/C god :worship: lol anyways hope this helps
Whoa, double post!!!

Why is the tuner kit's chip a piece of crap? Well, in any case, I was thinkin about using a tuned Diablo chip anyway, so will that work well?

I agree that I'm definately going to go with 42# injectors and maybe dual 03 cobra fuel pumps, but will the Focus pumps work as great with this setup and also how much of a difference in performance and cost will it have compared to the cobra's.

I'm definetely gonna go with some nice set of guages like the Autometer Cobalt or C2 guages to measure the boost, air/fuel ratio, and fuel pressure so that is not a major concern, like you stated ,"it's just a light show"

Does the Lightning MAF work well? Will it fit directly with my setup or would I need to somehow find a way to adapt it.

What about internal's cuz 11# is a lot of boost for the 3.8 and with stock rods, pistons, rings, and crank, I might be getting into problems with detontion, which is :notnice: If I do keep it stock, how well would the motor stand that kind of abuse and for how long, cuz I know some guys that have this set up but have not yet run into problems yet.

I do plan on taking it to the dyno once I have it all installed and tuned properly. I hope to be running around 300-320+hp at the fly.

Any other suggestions?
Old 11/14/04 | 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Whoops very sorry for the double post.

Everything is a direct fit/bolt-on (Lightning MAF, Fuel Pump, ect.) I have never heard of anyone having any problems what so ever running the 11psi kit for long periods of time. That is as long as they have the pieces reccomended...SVT Focus Fuel Pump, Lightning MAF, #42 Injectors, Intercooler etc.

With a good/safe tune U should be close to 280rwhp (315ish at the crank)

EDIT: I am unsure if you will notice any gains of power by running duel Cobra pumps rather than the SVT Focus fuel pump.

However- If you have the cash I would reccomend you buy a f-150 6cy. block, get forged internals, a new crank and stroke it to a 4.2 then supercharge it with the procharger kit. You will have no problem running 400hp with this set-up. This is the plan I am currently working on for my Roush.
Old 11/16/04 | 02:18 AM
V6 Member

Don't forget sub frame connecters. A must.
Old 11/16/04 | 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

lol, and sub frame connectors
Old 11/16/04 | 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I do plan on stiffening up the chassis and suspension, but what do sub-frame connectors have to do with the supercharger?:scratch: I mean, I'm only gonna be making less than 300rwhp....so the frame will handle it w/o the sub-frame connectors. It's a good idea anyway. Thanx for your input though. Any others?
Old 11/17/04 | 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Its not a completely necessary, but you will get some twisting of the frame witht he added HP
Old 11/18/04 | 07:06 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Not to spoil your party but, a s/c on a V6 is a total waste. All the money, replacing and upgrading the parts and components required to make a good match, all the effort, is something I would really think about before starting such a project. You have to be completely sure what you are about to embark on and if the end justifies the means.
Old 11/18/04 | 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, for someone on a small budget who can't afford a GT, Mach, or Cobra, its a lot easier and less costly in the long run. I know, I know your're gonna flame me for buying a V6, and I really do agree with you, to some extent, that modding a V6 is a waste of time, but at the time I bought it, it was the only mustang I could afford. So at least with the s/c, I'll be able to give some V8's a good run for their money. Maybe someday, when the car's paid off and I have enough spare change, I'll probably drop in a 4.6L crate motor in her. For now though, s/c-ing is the way to go to keep up and play with the big ponies. Ya get my drift?
Old 11/18/04 | 07:42 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

I wasn't being harsh or degrading to the V6, on the contrary, I was trying to be informative and realistic. Neither am I claiming to be a mechanical expert. What I can claim is having had some major migranes because of my lack of knowledge, poor planning, and bad decision making in different projects. I call it "learning while getting kicked in the... teeth".

It is not just slapping an s/c and you're done. There is a lot more to it. A professional can confirm and provide details on the requirements according to you car's specs. Here is a few questions you might like to ask yourself: What do I need to upgrade to accomplish the proper gas/air ratio; injectors, spark plugs, tune? How about the rearend, gears, clutch, transmission, brakes, will they work and last with the added power? How about the internals and cooling system, will they be able to sustain the added stress and heat? Last and most important: safety. Is the traction and handling affected?

My comments are meant to provide facts that will enable the enthusiast to make a logical and informed decision. Otherwise a dream project can turn into a nightmare, and to get rid of it the solution is usually unplanned expenses.

Quick Reply: Supercharging my six-pot w/ ATI Procharger