1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

replacing 2001 door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/10, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
replacing 2001 door speakers

wanting to replace the speakers in my sons 2001, not sure how to go about it or how difficult it might be. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2/19/10, 01:18 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
front, rear, gt v6 mach 460 or no mach 460?
Old 2/19/10, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

well its a v6, pretty sure its not the mach system, it does not say anything about a 6 disc changer. front door speakers is what we are looking at replacing. and thanks for responding.

Last edited by texasgt/cs; 2/19/10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 2/19/10, 11:04 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Yeah I would have known it was a v6 had I looked at what forum it was posted in

According to crutchfield, your fronts are a 6x8" speaker. Now you can go with a good pair of 3ways and get a good sound from it, or you could step up to a set of components (door woofer, and a seperate tweeter for highs) and really get nice sound. The tweeters would mount up on the top of the door near the a-pillar right on the inside of where your side mirrors are.

If your keeping the factory head unit, I woudl stick with the 3ways as its gonna be the best bang for buck, as I doubt its got enough power to push the components like they need to be driven.
Old 2/22/10, 06:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Its not too bad to do. Pop the panel with the door/window switches out of the door panel unscrew the and unplug the power from the switches. Pop out the panel around the door handle. You should see some screws holdin the door panel on behind the panels you popped out. I can't remember how many. Once you remove those. You should be able to just pull up and towards you to remove the door panel. Most of the panel is held on by plastic hooks. Go easy and go slow when you are pulling it off and putting it back on as you do not want to break these hooks. (Although if you do break one it might be alright, as I did and it hasn't been a problem.) After this there are only 4 screws holding on the door speaker.

On a side note this would be a great time to install some Dynamat on the doors if you can swing it. I found a great deal on amazon for a big box of it. reg. price of $300 I got it for $100. But there are cheaper smaller boxes available. New speakers and Dynamat will give you a great sound, and help keep out a little road noise to boot.

Good luck with the install.

Last edited by lowblustang00; 2/22/10 at 06:13 AM.
Old 2/22/10, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lowblustang00
Its not too bad to do. Pop the panel with the door/window switches out of the door panel unscrew the and unplug the power from the switches. Pop out the panel around the door handle. You should see some screws holdin the door panel on behind the panels you popped out. I can't remember how many. Once you remove those. You should be able to just pull up and towards you to remove the door panel. Most of the panel is held on by plastic hooks. Go easy and go slow when you are pulling it off and putting it back on as you do not want to break these hooks. (Although if you do break one it might be alright, as I did and it hasn't been a problem.) After this there are only 4 screws holding on the door speaker.

On a side note this would be a great time to install some Dynamat on the doors if you can swing it. I found a great deal on amazon for a big box of it. reg. price of $300 I got it for $100. But there are cheaper smaller boxes available. New speakers and Dynamat will give you a great sound, and help keep out a little road noise to boot.

Good luck with the install.
thanks very much, that is what i was looking for.
Old 2/22/10, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
Yeah I would have known it was a v6 had I looked at what forum it was posted in

According to crutchfield, your fronts are a 6x8" speaker. Now you can go with a good pair of 3ways and get a good sound from it, or you could step up to a set of components (door woofer, and a seperate tweeter for highs) and really get nice sound. The tweeters would mount up on the top of the door near the a-pillar right on the inside of where your side mirrors are.

If your keeping the factory head unit, I woudl stick with the 3ways as its gonna be the best bang for buck, as I doubt its got enough power to push the components like they need to be driven.
thanks for the info scothew
Old 2/22/10, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
No problem let us know how it goes.
Old 2/22/10, 03:32 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by texasgt/cs
thanks for the info scothew
Lol sorry, i didnt read your initial post right and thought you were asking what size and stuff to go with. At least thats what my mind comprehended.