1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

MUSTANG CAR PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/11, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1999 V6 3.8L 5speed Mustang with 115,000! I bought a new alternator about 4-6 months ago and I use my car as a daily vehicle.. 1 week ago my car suddenly shut off while it was running, I tried starting it and it had no power nor would it turn over, headlights wouldn't turn on or the horn wouldnt work.. Well I called a friend to jump me, While connected I waited 10 min and it still didn't turn over or get any power.. I disconnected the jumper cables and waited 10 more min, I tried to start it and all of a sudden I got power to everything and it started, my battery gauge read normal.. I left it running for a few and attempted to drive, my radio shut off then my car but this time I had power but wouldn't turn over.. I kept trying but still wouldnt start and then after mutiple tries i had no power.. I bought a new battery and it started right up I drove for at the most 20 miles and it shut off again.. It sometimes gets power but wont turn over at all.. It hasn't started or had power since.. The battery is 1 day old.. What could this be? Battery cable wires? Cylinoid? My key? (Key has a micro-chip) Ground cable? Battery cable going to the starter? Any ideas? Please help! Its my Daily driver but wont run..

Last edited by 99Mustang; 9/11/11 at 06:51 AM.
Old 9/11/11, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like alternator but you need to check battery cables too
Old 9/11/11, 08:59 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Judge me how you will. But I don't like helping someone with only 1 post..
My reason being I reserve my information to friends and ppl I know will stick on the forum to chat and help other members out. I've spent years learning what I know and am proud of it. I hate to give it out and the guy fix his car and not even come back to say a simple thanks.

I know I'm a horrible person
Old 9/11/11, 09:57 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by 99Mustang
I have a 1999 V6 3.8L 5speed Mustang with 115,000! I bought a new alternator about 4-6 months ago and I use my car as a daily vehicle.. 1 week ago my car suddenly shut off while it was running, I tried starting it and it had no power nor would it turn over, headlights wouldn't turn on or the horn wouldnt work.. Well I called a friend to jump me, While connected I waited 10 min and it still didn't turn over or get any power.. I disconnected the jumper cables and waited 10 more min, I tried to start it and all of a sudden I got power to everything and it started, my battery gauge read normal.. I left it running for a few and attempted to drive, my radio shut off then my car but this time I had power but wouldn't turn over.. I kept trying but still wouldnt start and then after mutiple tries i had no power.. I bought a new battery and it started right up I drove for at the most 20 miles and it shut off again.. It sometimes gets power but wont turn over at all.. It hasn't started or had power since.. The battery is 1 day old.. What could this be? Battery cable wires? Cylinoid? My key? (Key has a micro-chip) Ground cable? Battery cable going to the starter? Any ideas? Please help! Its my Daily driver but wont run..

Sounds to me like you have a bad connection somewhere. I would start looking at all power and ground connections. Start at the battery and alternator, as it seems that you have a main power or ground issue, not one in a harness.

Originally Posted by texastboneking
My reason being I reserve my information to friends and ppl I know will stick on the forum to chat and help other members out. I've spent years learning what I know and am proud of it. I hate to give it out and the guy fix his car and not even come back to say a simple thanks.

I understand where you are coming from, but at some point someone had to take a chance on you too. You didn't always know what you know and so someone gave you information when you had none to give them in return.
Old 9/11/11, 10:00 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by 07S197

I understand where you are coming from, but at some point someone had to take a chance on you too. You didn't always know what you know and so someone gave you information when you had none to give them in return.
I'm not so much asking for help in return. But for him to stick around and enjoy the site. Not take the info and run. That's all
Old 9/11/11, 10:13 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
But I don't like helping someone with only 1 post..
I understand that sentiment - because of spammers. I sometimes hesitate too.
But I always have to remind myself, I came to forums to get answers and my first posts were questions for help.
Old 9/11/11, 11:24 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by cdynaco

I understand that sentiment - because of spammers. I sometimes hesitate too.
But I always have to remind myself, I came to forums to get answers and my first posts were questions for help.
See that's fine. But I just want to see him stay and enjoy the place. To many ppl post on multiple forums. (I'm sure he has this posted on other forums) looking for free info and never come back to thank the ppl that helped them.
Old 9/11/11, 11:30 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't have a clue which wire to start with, but hopefully someone else can help you out.

I'd be more likely to help a new guy, than someone that's just blowin' up the boards chatting with old friends because he got kicked off other boards...
Old 9/11/11, 11:35 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't have a clue which wire to start with, but hopefully someone else can help you out.

I'd be more likely to help a new guy, than someone that's just blowin' up the boards chatting with old friends because he got kicked off other boards...
Ouch.. ok. I have helped a few members here where I could. And I'm not only chatting with my old friends. I have made plenty of new ones. And honestly I didn't know they were on this forum. I found this site by searching mustang in the Android market place. But I can see your point. Sorry that I am giving of the wrong vibe.

Also given the title of the thread it is obvious I entered it with the intention of helping. Then got turned off by the huge possibility of a spammer

Nice poke by the way lol

Last edited by texastboneking; 9/11/11 at 11:42 AM.
Old 9/11/11, 12:35 PM
Post *****

I bought a new alternator about 4-6 months ago...
What could this be? Battery cable wires? Cylinoid? My key? (Key has a micro-chip) Ground cable? Battery cable going to the starter? Any ideas? Please help! Its my Daily driver but wont run..
It could be all of the above. You have to eliminate them one by one.

There is always the possibility the alternator is defective. They don't make parts like they used to. Maybe autozone can check?

My 83 F150 had problems starting. The battery was weak with one bad cell. But I don't drive it much so I just kept a trickle charger handy, and it would start fine with a full charge. Then after several months the starter would only click click (like a dead battery) at random times.

*So I replaced the battery. Still randomly failed to initiate the starter.
*So I cleaned terminals to the battery (several times). Finally replaced the terminals.
*Then I cleaned all ground connections and when that didn't help I finally replaced all the ground wires. (corrosion and rust can work in under the insulation near the ends)
*Then I replaced the positive battery cable. I made sure the connection to the starter was good.
*Next I tried replacing the voltage regulator.
*In the end it was the solenoid. This older style has an external solenoid mounted to the firewall. I didn't think it could be that because I had replaced it about a year earlier. But many parts FAIL these days.
But this is an old truck - with distributor and a carb. lol Does a 99 still even have a solenoid between the battery and starter? I believe I read the newer ones may be in the alternator connection or on the back of the alternator.

Good luck and welcome to TMS! Let us know what works.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/11/11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 9/11/11, 12:40 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Does a 99 still even have a solenoid between the battery and starter?
They are build onto the starters now days. When the solenoid goes out you just replace the starter now days. They don't sell replacement solenoids anymore.
Old 9/11/11, 12:42 PM
Post *****

They are build onto the starters now days. When the solenoid goes out you just replace the starter now days. They don't sell replacement solenoids anymore.
Thanx!
Old 9/11/11, 12:51 PM

Thanx all of you for your opinions I'm gonna start with either the cylinoid or the ground cable looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me lol Hopefully cheap work money doesn't grow on trees these days lol Thanks all of you
. I guess ill stick with this forum over the other 1 lol I had one suggestion this has 10 lol Thanks again EVERYONE!
Old 9/11/11, 12:52 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Thanx all of you for your opinions I'm gonna start with either the cylinoid or the ground cable looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me lol Hopefully cheap work money doesn't grow on trees these days lol Thanks all of you
. I guess ill stick with this forum over the other 1 lol I had one suggestion this has 10 lol Thanks again EVERYONE!
Glad to hear your sticking around!
And honestly to me it sounds like you might be having some pcm ground issues.

Last edited by texastboneking; 9/11/11 at 12:53 PM.
Old 9/11/11, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Classic open circuit problem. Were it me, I would use a vohm meter and begin the task of looking for high resistance where there should be none along with other tests such as looking for voltage drops across connections. Lots of things can be discovered with a vohm meter.
Old 9/11/11, 01:04 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Cusp
Classic open circuit problem. Were it me, I would use a vohm meter and begin the task of looking for high resistance where there should be none along with other tests such as looking for voltage drops across connections. Lots of things can be discovered with a vohm meter.
List the connections you would check.
Old 9/11/11, 01:16 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I work at a dealer so I have access to all the wiring diagrams as well as flow charts. I'll try and get some for you tommorow when we are open.
Old 9/11/11, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

My reason being I reserve my information to friends and ppl I know will stick on the forum to chat and help other members out.
.. or has ladyparts.. ;-)

https://themustangsource.com/f657/pl...ote-me-499488/

Last edited by J1000; 9/11/11 at 03:45 PM.
Old 9/11/11, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Agreed, definitely sounds like a loose/damaged power/ground cable or terminal. Check the terminals on the starter where the cables attach, check both battery terminals (a friend of mine once had a positive cable so loose it sparked and melted the boot and part of the terminal, causing the same symptoms). Check any chassis grounds under the hood as well.
Old 9/11/11, 03:50 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by J1000
I do have my weak spots :P

Quick Reply: MUSTANG CAR PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP