1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Dropping Cylinders While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/13, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropping Cylinders While Driving

My husband's 1994 V-6 3.8L Mustang 5 speed is having some aggravating issues. While driving it will randomly drop two cylinders. It doesn't happen at a certain RPM, or every time it's driven. When it first started it would only happen in the rain and it would drop two cylinders on the same coil (according to the code). Now it happens 95% of the time it's driven and normally more then once a trip. He can solve the problem temporarily by turning the car off and then back on while driving. (You can see why I as his wife would want this problem fixed. It is a bit scary to have your husband turn the car off while cruising at 60 mph! I also am not any good at this skill so I would like the car fixed so I can resume "attempting" to drive it myself.) It never has a problem starting and it idles just fine so we seem a bit stumped. I have goggled every possible combination of "symptoms" I can but nothing has really fit the bill. So after being directed to this site multiple times by said Google and doing a bit of snooping around I decided to take matters into my own hands and ask for some help. Hopefully someone will have an idea what is going on.

He has replaced the following parts to no avail.
Plug Wires
Coil Pack
Crank Sensor
Camshaft Sensor

He says that he is getting P0303 & P0304 codes as well.
Old 5/30/13, 06:42 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 28Cars&Counting
My husband's 1994 V-6 3.8L Mustang 5 speed is having some aggravating issues. While driving it will randomly drop two cylinders. It doesn't happen at a certain RPM, or every time it's driven. When it first started it would only happen in the rain and it would drop two cylinders on the same coil (according to the code). Now it happens 95% of the time it's driven and normally more then once a trip. He can solve the problem temporarily by turning the car off and then back on while driving. (You can see why I as his wife would want this problem fixed. It is a bit scary to have your husband turn the car off while cruising at 60 mph! I also am not any good at this skill so I would like the car fixed so I can resume "attempting" to drive it myself.) It never has a problem starting and it idles just fine so we seem a bit stumped. I have goggled every possible combination of "symptoms" I can but nothing has really fit the bill. So after being directed to this site multiple times by said Google and doing a bit of snooping around I decided to take matters into my own hands and ask for some help. Hopefully someone will have an idea what is going on.

He has replaced the following parts to no avail.
Plug Wires
Coil Pack
Crank Sensor
Camshaft Sensor

He says that he is getting P0303 & P0304 codes as well.
Sounds like an injector coil heat soaking. Move the injectors from the missing cylinders and see if the missfire moves to a different cylinder. If yes then the injectors are bad.
Old 5/30/13, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. He has an extra set of fuel injectors I guess. So he insists that he is just going to try replacing the whole thing. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 6/4/13, 04:50 PM

Well he replaced the fuel injectors and now it is misfiring at an idle. He says the problem seems to clear up when he revs it. Any other ideas?
Old 6/4/13, 07:56 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 28Cars&Counting
Well he replaced the fuel injectors and now it is misfiring at an idle. He says the problem seems to clear up when he revs it. Any other ideas?
Hmmm. Vacuum leak?
Might also clean the maf senser