1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/04, 12:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Gents,

has anyone changed their stereo in a late model Mustang? If so, how was it done, i.e. did you bypass the amp completely??

Please let me know. If possible, let me know what the different coloured wires are?

I cannot take living with only treble any more!! :bang: :bang: :notnice:

Thanks in advance.

James
Old 9/20/04, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be adding bass to mine in a couple of weeks...what will you wanna know?
Old 9/20/04, 02:38 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I suggest getting a pioneer headunit because of the EQ controls and high power output it has built in. For your particular car, you shouldnt need an adapter mounting plate or anything, but do get a wiring harness mainly because that will make wiring everything up so much better. Check out http://www.crutchfield.com for some of the better prices online. They will have the harness you need. (also check e-bay for prices on equipment).
Old 9/20/04, 03:03 PM

I replaced mine. I justed ripped out the 460 amps and gave them away but used the fatory speakers by splicing into the lines of the doors and new lines for the rear (cause of the amp and 10" woofers )
Old 9/20/04, 03:08 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

well seeing as his is a v6 car, he doesnt have the mach460 amps, so its going to be very easy to hook it up. Everything will be taken care of through a wiring harness.
Old 9/21/04, 01:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys.

I went on Crutchfielf last night and found the wiring harness for $25. I will now get them to post me one "as a gift" (no tax or import sales tax!)

My wife is going to get me the new radio for my birthday B)

Any idea what the speaker wattage ratings are on the bog standard system? I do not want to have to change them as well right at this moment!

Thanks again

James
Old 9/21/04, 09:25 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

well any of the pioneer headunits will be able to push the stock speakers over their limit, but as long you dont continuously push them at the upper sound limit, they should be fine for awhile and have a better sound quality than you had before.
Old 9/21/04, 10:07 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Gonna put this in the v6 forum to reduce some confusion about the mach460 or not.
Old 9/24/04, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pioneer does make pretty good head units/systems. I've got a PH-7600 head unit in mine and I love the easy EQ features and animated OEL display on it. I've also got a pair of Rockford Fosgate P2 10" subs (had 12" subs, but enclosure wouldn't fit in trunk and didn't want to pay too much to have them custom installed so had to trade them) in the trunk hooked up to a 300watt RF mono amp. For speakers, I've got Pioneer 6x8 4-ways in the door panels and on the rear deck, Pioneer 6x9 4-ways.

As far as installation goes... its pretty straight forward and should take a few hours to hook up (I won't go into great details cuz I might bore you).
It's not at all hard, with the exception of the 6x9's out back, which was a pain in the butt, cuz I actually had to enlarge the stock 6x8 holes in the rear deck and utilize a speaker adapter for this. You will also need to cut the OEM cardboard carpet panel on the rear deck like I did, if you want those 6x9's exposed.

On a side note....I'm adding a bigger, powerful amp (800watts, 2-channel???), ditchin the 6x9 4-ways for 5-ways and also adding component mid-range speakers and tweeters on the kick panels. I will also be adding an in-dash DVD player with motorized 6.5-7" LCD screen in spring.
Old 9/24/04, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

EDIT: the head unit is the Pioneer DEH-7600MP. sorry for the confusion. My Bad!
Old 9/25/04, 12:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey muzzy....? for ya':

Doesn't the 2 10's hit hard? Mine are killin' me...it seems like all you hear is bass...and YES I do have the bass in the speakers turned to zero, and treble almost all the way up! What's up...How does yours sound?
Old 9/25/04, 09:35 AM
Cobra Member

My girlfriend's 2000 V6 has the Mach 460. Is it a factory freak, or what?
Old 9/25/04, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

The mach 460 can be had in a V-6 i remember seein' them at the dealer
Old 9/26/04, 12:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone have any answers to my question at all? I cna't stand it anymore?
Old 9/26/04, 12:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by s7v7n@September 25, 2004, 12:55 AM
Hey muzzy....? for ya':

Doesn't the 2 10's hit hard? Mine are killin' me...it seems like all you hear is bass...and YES I do have the bass in the speakers turned to zero, and treble almost all the way up! What's up...How does yours sound?
Mine sounds pretty loud (according to all my friends). The bass does hit really hard at times, but with the EQ features on the head unit, I just turn it down a level or two and also the amp that I have came with a bass control so I turn it down a bit so that my head wouldn't be pounding at the end of a long trip. With the speakers I have, everything sounds so clear and you can hear all the mids and highs. All in all with the 300watt amp that I have, I'm actually pretty impressed with the amount of power it puts out. My only complaints are that when I'm hangin out with the windows rolled down and my system turned up all the way, the entire neighborhood could hear and it annoys some of my elder neighbors . Also, since the bass hits hard at times, I get a lot of rattle from my trunk, but soon it'll be gone as the next few weeks I plan on installing Dynamat sound deadening all throughout the trunk area.
Old 9/26/04, 01:01 AM
GT Member

Stock is beautiful. Don't get me wrong- I AM an audiophile. I love analog. I have a nice record player. And a very nice home stereo. But in the car.... eh.
I only spend an hour at the most in my car. If I hear some music, I'm happy. Doesnt have to be the BEST sounding... just loud enough to be annoying. I personally dont understand the Stereo upgrade craze. I'd rather have a good exhaust tone than radio tone.
Old 9/26/04, 02:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

True. I can kinda ralate to ya....but then again, I got tired of listening to the stock system, that sounds like crap, so I decided to "upgrade" the tunes. BTW, if you've got a good sounding exhaust, then I wouldn't mind just listening to it, especially for short trips, but then you just get bored of the drone on long hauls.

I drive almost an hour to school everyday (Temecula to UCR) and another hour back from school and I have to sit through traffic as well so I felt it was a necessity to keep me entertained on my commutes.
Old 9/26/04, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Muzzy same thing for me...I drive for about .5 hour to and back from school, on the freeway, so I needed something to listen to.

So let me get this straigh here:

-You have an amp that runs the speakers?
--For speakers, do you have tweeters installed? If not, what speakers are you using for crisp sound? Tired of stock ones.

--What HU do you have? I want a SONY one that has EQ, but how do you adjust the bass on that for the subs? Don't you just use the bass boost control that comes with the amp?

Sorry for all the ?'s, but I am trying to upgrade as we speak, and I am sooooooo lost, I get so many different stories on the internet from other sites and then from like UE and Best Buy tell me different stuff...so any help to clear this, really is a nice deed for the day
Old 9/26/04, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by s7v7n@September 26, 2004, 2:18 PM
Muzzy same thing for me...I drive for about .5 hour to and back from school, on the freeway, so I needed something to listen to.

So let me get this straigh here:

-You have an amp that runs the speakers?
--For speakers, do you have tweeters installed? If not, what speakers are you using for crisp sound? Tired of stock ones.

--What HU do you have? I want a SONY one that has EQ, but how do you adjust the bass on that for the subs? Don't you just use the bass boost control that comes with the amp?

Sorry for all the ?'s, but I am trying to upgrade as we speak, and I am sooooooo lost, I get so many different stories on the internet from other sites and then from like UE and Best Buy tell me different stuff...so any help to clear this, really is a nice deed for the day
s7v7n,

What's your setup BTW? Just curious? Might be able to help.

As for your ?'s....

-I don't have a amp that runs JUST the speakers. The amp I've got runs my entire system (HU, speakers, & subs).

-The speakers I am using are all 4-way TS-series Pioneer speakers (6x8's in the door panels, and 6x9's on the rear deck) They already have tweeters built in them. Since they are 4-ways, the have one super-tweeter for the crisper highs and 2 smaller tweeters for the mids. Could've gone with 6x8's in the rears, but I wanted 6x9's for better bass response and also they look good when looking through the window.

-As for the HU, I'm using the Pioneer DEH-7600MP that has the animated OEL display. This is porbably one of the best HU's I've ever some across because they have one of the best EQ's. Also, it hits hard with just the bass functions of the built-in HU, but with the bass control that came with the amp, it helps it hit A LOT HARDER.

On a side note.....I will eventually be upgrading to 5-way TS-series Pioneer speakers on the rear deck that have another supertweeter for much crisper highs and adding component 6.5" TS 4-ways on the kick panels for added bass and mids and tweeters. Another addition will be an 800watt 2-channel amp dollied to my mono amp and this will power the extra speakers and subs. Might have to invest in a capacitor cuz my system's gonna blast lots of power.
Old 10/2/04, 12:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I got it fixed actually Muzzy...I went out and found a Bass Boost control. Everything sounds sooooo much better!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo