1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

2000 V6 with 220,000+ miles getting old and tired...

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/15, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any SN95s in the 200,000+ club?

My 2000 V6 with 220,000+ miles is getting old and tired. Does anyone else have or had a mustang similar? What should I expect in the years to come as far as longevity?

She burns through oil almost as much as gas and is slowly leaking transmission fluid. I hit the gas pretty hard today to pass another car and now I'm getting this awful whining/grinding noise when idling. Any thoughts as to why?

Last edited by m.severs; 3/13/15 at 12:04 AM.
Old 3/12/15, 08:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m.severs
Does anyone else have or had something similar? What should I expect?

She burns through oil almost as much as gas and is slowly leaking transmission fluid. I hit the gas pretty hard today to pass another car and now I'm getting this awful whining/grinding noise when idling. Any thoughts as to why?
Put her out to pasture. Ha ha ha. Just kidding!
Old 3/14/15, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
real reason most likely?? poor maintenance, and someone not taking care of the car as prescribed in the manual/owners guide and doing the regular service internals and oil changes, if a car is burning oil nearly as bad as gas then its got some major engine wear and its as good as gone at that point, I have a car that has well over 230K on the clock and its very well maintained and doesn't burn that much oil, and the truck burns none and has 220K on it and I take care to make sure oil is changed every 3-5K miles...

sorry if it seems like im being hateful but usually when en engine burns oil like its gas that means there is some major wear or possible damage to it internally....
Old 3/14/15, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Unless youre puking blue smoke out the exhaust, then the oil is going somewhere it *really* shouldn't at that rate... like the cooling system, maybe.

I think it's safe to say that you should be looking at a boneyard engine at least, if not a rebuild, just because it sounds like that one is just about ready to give it up.

Regarding the transmission... you sure it's not the main seal in the back? That it's not engine oil?

If it is transmission, well, that's transmission seals, and that might can be easily fixed. Just drain the old fluid, pull the trans, swap the seals, put the thing back in. Tada and stuff. Maybe. If the seals go in from the inside, well, that's a rebuild, obviously. Like the pinion seal would be in the axle. Have to take it all the way apart to do those.

Of course since the trans is leaking, it may be too late and that's what's whining/grinding, the gears in the transmission due to no lubrication.

So maybe a boneyard trans is in order too.

And at that rate... maybe another car is in order...

Last edited by houtex; 3/14/15 at 01:22 PM.
Old 3/14/15, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jim74656
real reason most likely?? poor maintenance, and someone not taking care of the car as prescribed in the manual/owners guide and doing the regular service internals and oil changes, if a car is burning oil nearly as bad as gas then its got some major engine wear and its as good as gone at that point, I have a car that has well over 230K on the clock and its very well maintained and doesn't burn that much oil, and the truck burns none and has 220K on it and I take care to make sure oil is changed every 3-5K miles...

sorry if it seems like im being hateful but usually when en engine burns oil like its gas that means there is some major wear or possible damage to it internally....
I got the car in 2009 with 150k on it and the previous owners did not take good care of it at all. They couldn't even keep up with waxing the paint. I'm just trying to do everything I can to stretch out the lifespan. Thanks for the reply.
Old 3/14/15, 06:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
This might be worth a try. Throw a can or two
http://www.restoreusa.com/
Old 3/14/15, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m.severs
I got the car in 2009 with 150k on it and the previous owners did not take good care of it at all. They couldn't even keep up with waxing the paint. I'm just trying to do everything I can to stretch out the lifespan. Thanks for the reply.
That is understandable, again not trying to sound hateful or anything, just being honest, as for the engine regular oil changes and if you really want to hold onto the car a mild engine rebuild or even a JY swap might be worth looking into, I would maybe look into some Lucas products, they should be able help with extending the life some, not sure how long you will keep the engine living but it will help to a degree, just be prepared that at this point in life knowing about the PO (would love to give them a piece of mind too) that car may be on its final leg soon...and I bet it would have been a great mustang too!!

oh and I agree with the above post try some http://www.restoreusa.com/ products, that should also help...

Last edited by Jim74656; 3/14/15 at 08:43 PM.
Old 3/15/15, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jim74656
That is understandable, again not trying to sound hateful or anything, just being honest, as for the engine regular oil changes and if you really want to hold onto the car a mild engine rebuild or even a JY swap might be worth looking into, I would maybe look into some Lucas products, they should be able help with extending the life some, not sure how long you will keep the engine living but it will help to a degree, just be prepared that at this point in life knowing about the PO (would love to give them a piece of mind too) that car may be on its final leg soon...and I bet it would have been a great mustang too!!

oh and I agree with the above post try some http://www.restoreusa.com/ products, that should also help...
Yeah I use Lucas but I'll check out that site also. Well time to save for a new mustang.
Old 3/15/15, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
pics of said mustang??
Old 3/16/15, 02:45 PM

See profile picture.
Old 3/16/15, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

the picture does not show, hence the question of "pics?"
Old 4/1/18, 10:17 AM

Oil usage

i just got my 98 this year. Pretty well maintained. Has 170k on it and no oil usage. However I just donated my 95 neon with 365k and it was definitely taken care of but oil usage became an issue. Regular maintenance helps but you’re past that now. I’d get a low mileage engine change the gaskets and put it in.