1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

2.5" or 2.25" inch exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/13, 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.5" or 2.25" inch exhaust?

I got an estimate on Thrush divorced dual exhaust today and the guy suggested 2.25" piping over 2.5". Which would you guys suggest? I want a deep loud sound with little to no popping. I'm paranoid it's going to end up sounding like a 4 cylinder instead of a V8 (like many I've seen on youtube).
Old 2/28/13, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will never sound like a v8. As for the pipe size on my last car I had a v6 with 2.5" piping and a custom H pipe with muffler deletes. It sounded really good but that might have been from the custom H pipe. The H pipe wasn't the same diameter all the way. I don't really think 2.5" pipe will make it sound bad, the type of mufflers/mid pipe might.
Old 2/28/13, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
It will never sound like a v8. As for the pipe size on my last car I had a v6 with 2.5" piping and a custom H pipe with muffler deletes. It sounded really good but that might have been from the custom H pipe. The H pipe wasn't the same diameter all the way. I don't really think 2.5" pipe will make it sound bad, the type of mufflers/mid pipe might.
I have to have cats and I've listened to a ton of videos on YouTube and I've decide not to get a midpipe.
Old 2/28/13, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Skylar

I have to have cats and I've listened to a ton of videos on YouTube and I've decide not to get a midpipe.
I assume you have single exhaust still since your asking about pipe size. If so I would say it's kinda a waste of money to redo the piping to still have single exhaust. Just weld in different mufflers to get the sound you want, but true duals will sound a lot better than single exhaust.
Old 2/28/13, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I assume you have single exhaust still since your asking about pipe size. If so I would say it's kinda a waste of money to redo the piping to still have single exhaust. Just weld in different mufflers to get the sound you want, but true duals will sound a lot better than single exhaust.
I'm getting true duals. That's what I meant by "divorced duals". I'm getting welded Thrush chambered mufflers.
Old 3/1/13, 08:08 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I got an estimate on Thrush divorced dual exhaust today and the guy suggested 2.25" piping over 2.5". Which would you guys suggest? I want a deep loud sound with little to no popping. I'm paranoid it's going to end up sounding like a 4 cylinder instead of a V8 (like many I've seen on youtube).
Id also just go 2.5. But regardless, I don't think there is much of a difference between the two. Just keep your revs below about 3500RPM and you won't get that four banger type sound. That's about when mine starts to change.
Old 3/1/13, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm getting true duals. That's what I meant by "divorced duals". I'm getting welded Thrush chambered mufflers.
Yeah it was like 1am and I was exhausted when I read your post lol. As for the divorced duals I really don't know how they will sound on a 6 banger. I would assume a H pipe would make it sound deeper than no mid pipe at all.
Old 3/1/13, 10:37 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it was like 1am and I was exhausted when I read your post lol. As for the divorced duals I really don't know how they will sound on a 6 banger. I would assume a H pipe would make it sound deeper than no mid pipe at all.
Lol.. You said "exhausted"...
Old 3/1/13, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking

Lol.. You said "exhausted"...
Lol exhausted in an exhaust thread. Lmfao
Old 3/1/13, 11:37 AM

I had trues many years ago. It was deeper on the higher end without the H-pipe. Mines an O/R, but when I put it the car got alot louder and more high pitched up top.
Old 3/1/13, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1999Pony

I had trues many years ago. It was deeper on the higher end without the H-pipe. Mines an O/R, but when I put it the car got alot louder and more high pitched up top.
Makes no sense to me when the H pipe equals out exhaust on each side. Divorced duals is like having two 3 cylinders. Meh it's worth taking a look into at least, I'd like to see some exhaust clips of it before I judge.
Old 3/1/13, 01:42 PM

I have no clips but that's my experience. Like I said, it was with an O/R but its definitely a higher pitch above 3K or so.
Old 3/1/13, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1999Pony
I have no clips but that's my experience. Like I said, it was with an O/R but its definitely a higher pitch above 3K or so.
I looked it up it sounds really good at low rpm like you were saying. Maybe a quiter muffler like flowmasters or magnaflows would help the higher rpm.
Old 3/1/13, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

2.5 pip and 4 inch tips equals borla stinger gt catback equals awesome sound
Old 3/1/13, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Blackout
2.5 pip and 4 inch tips equals borla stinger gt catback equals awesome sound
Yup, I have seen a couple videos of a v6 with borla stingers, it sounded good
Old 3/1/13, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Magna flows are awesome too manga packs sound great on anything
Old 3/1/13, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Look here's my set up

I'm proud of my sound. But I'd like to see what y'all have to say. Just be honest. For real you don't like it tell me it sounds s h I t t y...
Old 3/1/13, 10:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm always either at school or work, so I had to have my dad run by and show the shop the list of things I want with my set up. He had written "4 1/2"" next to where I had written 4.5", and I assumed that was a suggestion. Today my dad said that the Thrush mufflers I want only work with 2.25" piping. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is, then I guess this thread is pointless. BUT I do have another question he didn't get answered.

I need cats to pass inspection, so would'nt I need to buy 4 new cats? I wouldn't want to have stock on one side and aftermarket on the other.
Are some brands of high-flow cats better than others?

Thanks for the input.
Old 3/1/13, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm always either at school or work, so I had to have my dad run by and show the shop the list of things I want with my set up. He had written "4 1/2"" next to where I had written 4.5", and I assumed that was a suggestion. Today my dad said that the Thrush mufflers I want only work with 2.25" piping. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is, then I guess this thread is pointless. BUT I do have another question he didn't get answered.

I need cats to pass inspection, so would'nt I need to buy 4 new cats? I wouldn't want to have stock on one side and aftermarket on the other.
Are some brands of high-flow cats better than others?

Thanks for the input.
Buy Mil-eliminators and keep the o/r pipe.
Old 3/1/13, 10:39 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy Mil-eliminators and keep the o/r pipe.
i gotz a set i will sell 25 bucks plus shipping

Quick Reply: 2.5" or 2.25" inch exhaust?