Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

wheel rub

Old 6/17/05, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my dad's stang the left front wheel rubs like a mother when you turn it. I put in some rack limiters and that helped but It still rubs when you turn sharp. Only other thing I could think of that it might be would be the alignment. I think my brother said it pulls to the right a little bit when you let go of the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way the wheels he has are 17"X9" I belive. They may be 8" wide.

EDIT: I guess it would help if I told you were it was rubbing. the rim (yes the rim) is rubbing the lower A Arm (not sure if there is just 1 or 2) The wheel looks to have been rubbing for quite some time since the rim is just about chewwed up where it has been rubbin that A arm.
Old 8/12/05, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same prob. I have a 93 Lx notckback and it rubs only when I turn sharp.....My solution is I dont turn sharp....It works!
Old 8/15/05, 09:39 AM
Service Manager

Received 428 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally posted by Hotrod@June 17, 2005, 5:34 PM
On my dad's stang the left front wheel rubs like a mother when you turn it. I put in some rack limiters and that helped but It still rubs when you turn sharp. Only other thing I could think of that it might be would be the alignment. I think my brother said it pulls to the right a little bit when you let go of the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way the wheels he has are 17"X9" I belive. They may be 8" wide.

EDIT: I guess it would help if I told you were it was rubbing. the rim (yes the rim) is rubbing the lower A Arm (not sure if there is just 1 or 2) The wheel looks to have been rubbing for quite some time since the rim is just about chewwed up where it has been rubbin that A arm.

Keep in mind that when you refer to a wheel as 17"X9" that means that the diameter is 17 inches and the width is 9 inches so your reference that it might be 8 inches wide is a contradiction.

Here is a helpful tidbit....the lower control arms have a pad welded to them and this is likely where the wheel is rubbing....you can take a disc cutter and grind the welds and remove this pad...that should net you another 1/8" of clearance and may just do the trick.