Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/08, 01:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trouble codes

So I finally gave in and bought a fox last week. 89 LX 5.0l manual transmission. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, checked the started switch, replaced the solenoid, ignition coil, new and gapped spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new rotor and distributor cap. Now the car turns over and won't start. theres no spark from the new coil. I checked with the plug close to the block and nothing. When I plug in my actron code reader all i get is a red light and audio both are constant, the car was in neutral and the clutch was depressed while testing.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the codes to read or is there something else it could be? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11/30/08, 11:20 PM
GT Member

The thing I would ask myself at this point is there juice to the coil????
Well when the key is turned on. for about 3 to 10 bucks a screw driver {TEST LIGHT} could tell you if there is. If I am not mistaken there are 3 wire on your coil? The first one or the big fat one goes from the coil to the center of the distributor cap. This leaves the 2 remaining small ones. One of which goes into the base of your distributor While the other small goes to the ignition key or battery. this last one is the one you test via test light with the key in the on position. let me know? if there is no juice here than use a small jumper wire to it from the positive post. Try starting, if it does you have to disconnect this wire to kill the engine.

next possibility if there is power is to the coil. Than something must be wrong with the distributor itself. Back in the mid 60s there plates in the distributor that moved in accordance with vacuum advance of the timing. Back in the day there were little plastic pieces between the two plate that would wear out over time. Than when the two metal plates touched each other the ignition would ground out causing no JUICE to plugs .

But before you replace the distributor you should try a rotor bug followed by a new cap if you have not already
Old 12/1/08, 09:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the info I will try that out this afternoon, and post back.
Old 12/3/08, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

So my computer died and was as good as the car for the past few days. Anyway I checked the coil and no power. I'm going to try the tfi first then the distributor. The rotor is new and shouldnt be the problem. It also has a new cap.
Old 12/3/08, 06:44 PM
Cobra R Member

The code reader still just has a constant light and beep, its not intermitent like it should be any suggestions on what that could be?