Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

SVO

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/04, 01:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
In the voice of the Comic Book Guy:

Best lookin'. Fox body. Ever.

Not the most populous Mustang, but certainly one of the most advanced on the planet from Ford at the time. The appearance of the Quadra suspension in the back, the (at the time) unheard of 50 horses per cylinder, factory turbo AND direct air charge intercooler, race prepped Pinto engine. The lines of the SVT vehicles can be traced back to this machine.

I bought a used 1986 model in about, oh, 1990. It had 44K on it, Black on Grey.

It was the BOMB. Literally. Only I didn't know it was actually gonna blow up at about 75K. But until then, man I had THE Mustang I'd always wanted (besides the '66 coupe I was rebuilding.)

5 speed, Leather seats, dual spoiler, aero nose, side mounted intercooler scoop, BIG rims. And it sounded AWESOME. Nuthin' like revvin' up a dualed from the factory turbo 4 and lettin' out the clutch at 4K.

It was awesome. I raced everyone on the streets, hugged corners, all kinds of fun. Until the A/C broke. And then the motor blew. But those were way on down the road after I bought it.

I refused (at the time) to get the A/C fixed. I don't know why. At the time, it was R-12, and the design of the A/C compressor was for that car only, so it cost 8 times as much as a V8 one. Stupid. And I was stubborn too.

But after the engine blew up (MELTED the first and second cylinder divider wall on the block and head ) I fixed it myself with a bunch of help. It never ran right after that. Something about the compression bein' off. Whatever. I sold it soon after to get into a nice Lincoln Mark VII of 1987 era. THAT was my greatest car ever.

I still say, though, the SVOs looked the best of all Fox Mustangs. The spats on the rear wheel openings, the straight tips out the back, those cool, but slightly aggressive lookin' head and marker lights, the slotted non-grille. the (later on Cobras) striped LX tail lights, it was Schweet. Even the dash was good lookin'.

I miss that one too. Although, I'd rather have had my friend's White 85.5 one. THAT was a pretty car, as well as bein' super rare.

Just thought I'd share my little piece of Fox body experience. Laters.
Old 2/24/04, 01:57 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I agree about being one of the best looking Fox Mustangs.

I like the 85, & 86 models better with the flush head lights, and duel tail pipes.

Did any SVO's come with Cruise Control? I have been told, no.

Only one grip about the SVO's . . .Should of had a V8!!
Old 2/24/04, 06:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, IMO the SVO was easily the best looking of all the Fox body stangs. The front end seemed smoother than any other Fox Mustang until the 87's. And, while the 87-93's look good, the SVO's slightly more angular front clip seemed to fit the bodys blocky lines better than the aero looking 87 and up nose did.

I have that same basic motor in my 88 Turbo Coupe, I grenaded my four as well, but only when the odometer read 198,000 miles.
Old 3/9/04, 04:10 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That car is one of those cars that you either like it or not, I for one don't like the looks of 'um but thats just me. And I could not see paying that much more for a 4 banger.