Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

so my car wont start.....

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/06, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mom was going to drive my car one day, so she starts it and it runs for about 30 seconds and cuts off, and now it wont start again. It cranks over without doing anuthing else other wise. I can hear the fuel pump come on when the key is turned. I was going to check for fuel leaks, and try to check for codes.
Does anyone think that the ECU could not be getting power? Does it use a regular fuse, or is it just fusible linked?

Could the timing belt have jumped a bunch of teeth while the car was running to cause it to cut off?

I checked the cap and rotor and tried another coil, with no luck. The distributor and module was replaced a little over a year ago...what else is there?
Old 2/25/06, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinspann @ February 25, 2006, 6:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My mom was going to drive my car one day, so she starts it and it runs for about 30 seconds and cuts off, and now it wont start again. It cranks over without doing anuthing else other wise. I can hear the fuel pump come on when the key is turned. I was going to check for fuel leaks, and try to check for codes.
Does anyone think that the ECU could not be getting power? Does it use a regular fuse, or is it just fusible linked?

Could the timing belt have jumped a bunch of teeth while the car was running to cause it to cut off?

I checked the cap and rotor and tried another coil, with no luck. The distributor and module was replaced a little over a year ago...what else is there?
[/b][/quote]

Pull a spark plug and see if it's getting spark.
Old 3/3/06, 03:11 PM

check the timing belt and see if it is off. that's easy , make sure the fuel is getting to the rail. make sure there is compression. like tom said make sure there is spark. did somthing come onpluged like the mass air , i dont know if it has one. i had a thunderbird 2.3 turbo.so that's what I know about? is the battery good, is it turing over fast? Andy
Old 3/5/06, 09:12 PM
GT Member

Check to see if the coil has juice or electricity.

Your coil has 3 wires.
The big one in the middle and 2 little ones

The big one goes to the distributor.
Of the two remaining little ones?
Well one goes to the Distributer.
The other goes to the battery.

The battery one can be checked with a 12 volt screwdriver type test light. If it lights up your fine.

If not the use a jumper wire from the postive battery post.
This is also called Hot wiring 101 when done in conjunction with shorting the fire wall cylinoid.

Oh and when a timing belt breaks?
It cranks really really really fast.
since valves are no longer being turned.
Old 3/5/06, 11:29 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinspann @ February 25, 2006, 11:04 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

check the tps
Old 4/22/06, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

The timing belt slipped b/c the waterpump went bad and the water from the weep hole dripped onto the crank pulley