Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

shaking steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/13, 11:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shaking steering wheel

My 89 gt convertible steering wheel shakes and it pulls to the right i need some help on the diagnosis of what is going on any help would be appreciated
Old 6/29/13, 11:32 AM
V6 Member

It starts doing it at 20 mph and gets real bad while braking
Old 6/29/13, 11:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Alignment, high spot in tire, unbalanced tire, bent rim... Lots of possibilities.
Old 6/29/13, 12:16 PM
V6 Member

Its alligned correctly tire are balanced perfectly no high spots what else could it be
Old 6/29/13, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
If the alignment is correct, and the tires are balanced, then the problem is the rotors are severely warped, and worse on the right side, which will drag and cause the pull.

The pull could also be bad bushings, tie rod ends, rack... but the wobble, especially braking, given other things are "ok" as described, definitely rotors. Take 'em off, see if they can be shaved, and if not, then replace.
Old 6/29/13, 05:41 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull could also be a seized caliper. Maybe why they are warped
Old 6/29/13, 06:02 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Pull could also be a seized caliper. Maybe why they are warped
I thought about calipers also as I've had that issue on my F150. But the fact it only happens at a certain speed range puzzles me.
Wait - I think I'm thinking of the other thread where he had replaced rotors and pads and had problems at highway speed only.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/29/13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 6/29/13, 06:42 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Im gonna say 100% sure you got warped rotors. And im putting my money on sticking calipers. Easy to test with an infared thermometer
Old 6/29/13, 07:47 PM
V6 Member

I know i need new pads the tie rods inner and outter are good and so is the rack im trying to figure out if its something major
Old 6/30/13, 12:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Um, pads are major. As are the calipers if they're siezed, and the rotors if they're warped.

If you need pads, then you've found your answer, man. Time for a full brake job. Bet it all stops there. Wobbling wheel is rather basic stuff. Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels, tires. That's it. Now go fix it.
Old 6/30/13, 05:43 AM
V6 Member

The steering wheel doesnt wobble it shakes like crazy
Old 6/30/13, 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It can also be termed "wobbles like crazy" and mean the same thing, ok? The points have been made. You'll drive yourself insane trying to group hive mind the solution, the best course is to just get out there and figure it out now.

The biggest clues were in your first post and point to the problem right out:
My 89 gt convertible steering wheel shakes and it pulls to the right i need some help on the diagnosis of what is going on any help would be appreciated
It starts doing it at 20 mph and gets real bad while braking
That, coupled with your allegation of the suspension being perfect, as well as the steering being perfect, and the wheels and tires being perfect, mean there is ONLY one thing: The brakes. And at this point, you must suspect the calipers, pads and the rotors, in total. And since you said the pads are needing replacement, that could very well mean the calipers are at their last extension, and could be locking up/dragging/not returning/not backing away on their being so extended on one side, the right side. That, coupled with the possibility that one or more pad could be down to metal for all we know, and is actually eating the rotor on one side would possibily produce a severe yaw, and if the rivets are exposed, it could be a severe drag issue at that point as they bump and plonk along scraping up against the rotor.

So. There ya go. Without putting hands on the car, that's the likeliest scenario I've come up with. Only thing left is to either take the wheels and tires off and inspect the brakes, or take it somewhere and have it figured out.

Either way, good dang luck to ya, man.

Last edited by houtex; 6/30/13 at 10:51 AM.
Old 6/30/13, 11:12 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes.
Attached Images  
Old 6/30/13, 04:32 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by houtex
It can also be termed "wobbles like crazy" and mean the same thing, ok? The points have been made. You'll drive yourself insane trying to group hive mind the solution, the best course is to just get out there and figure it out now.

The biggest clues were in your first post and point to the problem right out:

That, coupled with your allegation of the suspension being perfect, as well as the steering being perfect, and the wheels and tires being perfect, mean there is ONLY one thing: The brakes. And at this point, you must suspect the calipers, pads and the rotors, in total. And since you said the pads are needing replacement, that could very well mean the calipers are at their last extension, and could be locking up/dragging/not returning/not backing away on their being so extended on one side, the right side. That, coupled with the possibility that one or more pad could be down to metal for all we know, and is actually eating the rotor on one side would possibily produce a severe yaw, and if the rivets are exposed, it could be a severe drag issue at that point as they bump and plonk along scraping up against the rotor.

So. There ya go. Without putting hands on the car, that's the likeliest scenario I've come up with. Only thing left is to either take the wheels and tires off and inspect the brakes, or take it somewhere and have it figured out.

Either way, good dang luck to ya, man.
Just listen to this guy please.....
Old 6/30/13, 04:38 PM
V6 Member

My technician says the pads need to be replaced in like 5 months he is an ase mater certified ford. I noticed that my power steering is low could that be a possibility on why the steering is shaking
Old 6/30/13, 04:46 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by gt50convert
My technician says the pads need to be replaced in like 5 months he is an ase mater certified ford. I noticed that my power steering is low could that be a possibility on why the steering is shaking
ok........

First.. ford certifications and ase certification s are 2 different things.

Second. If you dont want to listen, then take it you your "technician". You obviously refuse to take our advice...

I can tell you your power steering has no effect on your "shake"... your rotors are warped... end of story...

Houtex is right on the money as well...

Last edited by texastboneking; 7/1/13 at 05:43 AM.
Old 6/30/13, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Text book warped rotor syndrome. .
Old 6/30/13, 11:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by gt50convert
No.

Actually, after much thinking, it must be the nut behind the steering wheel. It's loose. Either that, or the 710 cap is loose. Possibly the ID10T gear might be worn.

Perhaps the Turbo Encabulator's gramification drive is fouling up the synchrotron decouplers. You might need to replace that GDrive, but it may be too late, and the decouplers are already shot. If those are gone, it's a sure bet the polarized osmotic filtration system is compromised.

If that happened, your blinker fluid will have to be replaced. Nasty stuff that.

I think you might be looking for a drill press at this point, or perhaps a decent jackhammer, to put the car out of it's misery. Or maybe just take the radiator cap off the radiator, and drive a fixed car under it, that would for sure fix the wobbly/shaking problem.

Again, good dang luck, man!
Old 7/1/13, 05:19 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by houtex

No.

Actually, after much thinking, it must be the nut behind the steering wheel. It's loose. Either that, or the 710 cap is loose. Possibly the ID10T gear might be worn.

Perhaps the Turbo Encabulator's gramification drive is fouling up the synchrotron decouplers. You might need to replace that GDrive, but it may be too late, and the decouplers are already shot. If those are gone, it's a sure bet the polarized osmotic filtration system is compromised.

If that happened, your blinker fluid will have to be replaced. Nasty stuff that.

I think you might be looking for a drill press at this point, or perhaps a decent jackhammer, to put the car out of it's misery. Or maybe just take the radiator cap off the radiator, and drive a fixed car under it, that would for sure fix the wobbly/shaking problem.

Again, good dang luck, man!

Last edited by texastboneking; 7/1/13 at 05:22 AM.
Old 7/1/13, 08:58 AM
V6 Member

Ive had the whole steering wheel unit checked and its fine its gotta be the rotors or the wheel bearings

Quick Reply: shaking steering wheel