Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

running problem

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/13, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running problem

On I'm having a problem with my 92 5.0 running. What it does is when you first start it she dies and will keep dying until it get some temperature then it runs just fine, it also has a miss during this time. It all started when I put my Trick Flow streetburner intake, bbk 75mm throttle body, and CAI on not sure if that has anything ti so with it, but I've been told by a guy I worked with it sounded like a vacuum leak but I can't sewm to find one anywhere. Thanks for any help I can get on this
Old 1/22/13, 07:21 AM
Cobra R Member

sounds like vacuum also and that is a good place to start. vacuum leak could be between the upper/lower intake, cracked hose, loose hose, pvc, etc. If vacuum checks out next focus is the 10 pin connector since they where moved during the intake install they are very fussy. try and clean the male/female connetors with electriccal contact cleaner and then add dielectricgrease to the female side, you may need to use a pick to tighten the pin connectors by opening the male connectors just a tad.

If not of this works check for codes.
Old 1/22/13, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by skunk21
sounds like vacuum also and that is a good place to start. vacuum leak could be between the upper/lower intake, cracked hose, loose hose, pvc, etc. If vacuum checks out next focus is the 10 pin connector since they where moved during the intake install they are very fussy. try and clean the male/female connetors with electriccal contact cleaner and then add dielectricgrease to the female side, you may need to use a pick to tighten the pin connectors by opening the male connectors just a tad.

If not of this works check for codes.
Sweet thanks when I don't need it I'll try that
Old 1/23/13, 04:31 PM

Sounds like vacuum to me too... If you can't find the leak you can take it somewhere and they put smoke through the lines and can find them quick. On 94-95 5.0 sometimes you need to reset your IAC. There are plenty of tutorials online. If there is no leak check into that. It's pretty easy and best of all freeeeeee so no harm in trying
Old 1/23/13, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nrgahan-94GT
Sounds like vacuum to me too... If you can't find the leak you can take it somewhere and they put smoke through the lines and can find them quick. On 94-95 5.0 sometimes you need to reset your IAC. There are plenty of tutorials online. If there is no leak check into that. It's pretty easy and best of all freeeeeee so no harm in trying
Ok I will have to see I replaced the iac when I did everything
Old 1/23/13, 09:42 PM

Did you go through the steps to let your computer re-learn where to idle? The basic steps are disconnect negative battery terminal to reset computer. Then let car idle for 2 mins with all accessories off. Then let car idle for 2 mins with accessories on. Then you are good to go. Each time you let it idle you will see your rpms increase to around 2000 then they will drop back down. If you did not reset this I would say that is your problem. Happened to me a while back took me forever to figure out. Let me know if you need more help finding how to do this. But you Should be able to find it online.
Old 1/24/13, 06:54 AM
Cobra R Member

This is the proper base idle restet procedure, only do it if needed.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031