Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Recharging A/C....

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/05 | 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

So yesterday i borrowed someines recharging kit since it had a gauge on it, but the end that is supposed to attach to the a/c system didnt fit the valve.

The Recharging port is the larger if the two fittings on the hard line right?

Is there some kind of adapter or another kind of kit that i need to charge the a/c, or what have you all used?
Old 7/6/05 | 10:29 PM
Bullitt Member

If you are trying to recharge it with the 134a stuff you can buy at walmart or your local auto store, then you alos have to buy an adapter kit. Basically it is a couple of adapters the screw onto your stock a/c fittings in order to let you use the 134a stuff. When I did my Mark vii I just bought the whole kit from autozone. It came with the adapter fittings, line with a guage, and three bottles of refrigerent/oil for 39.99.
Old 7/7/05 | 07:30 AM
Service Manager

This isn't meant to be anything but helpful and save you money by avoiding a costly repair.....

If you do not know what you are doing then you would be better off to have someone do this for you who does. You could overcharge the system and cause a failure or generally just muck things up.

My neighbor just tried to do his own A/C system and came over to me afterwards asking how much the system took, turns out he put in too much and when I told him that he said "Well, it works fine"....the next day his compressor grenaded and sent metal throughout the entire system.

Now he is riding around with the windows down because he can't afford a new compressor, drier, consensor flush, etc, etc....
Old 7/7/05 | 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by svopaul@July 7, 2005, 7:33 AM

My neighbor just tried to do his own A/C system and came over to me afterwards asking how much the system took, turns out he put in too much and when I told him that he said "Well, it works fine"....the next day his compressor grenaded and sent metal throughout the entire system.

Now he is riding around with the windows down because he can't afford a new compressor, drier, consensor flush, etc, etc....
Sorry but there is just something funny about the thought of someone riding around and all of the sudden the whole compressor just grenades. I do agree with Paul though, if you have absolutely no clue, then it might be better to take it to somone.