Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Power steering Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/12, 04:04 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Power steering Q's...

I posted this on a II forum as well, but maybe someone with fox experience can help me out here..

My car uses an OEM fox power steering unit, connected to the original Mustang II rack

I often read about hot rodders with GM power steering pumps hooked up to their MII racks and how they use a valve to lower the pressure of the power assist.

In my car, theres almost no resistance or feedback. Is anyone else bothered by this? Does anyone have any solutions?

I saw plenty of valve kits for GM pumps, and I've heard you can swap a Saginaw pump from an Eseries van on and its compatible with some of those GM parts, but I really don't want to buy a new pump and then have to mod that as well.

I also thought about underdive pulleys.. would that do the trick, or even help at all?

Worst comes to worst I could always convert to a manual rack someday, or maybe disconnect and cap off the power rack. But if theres any way to tinker with the OEM ford pump I have, I'd love to hear about it

Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight!
Old 4/26/12, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the years I have been around Foxs. Which is around 15 years now. I have never seen or heard that before about the GM pumps. BUt if you want more feeling. Go to a manual Rack. Parking just sucks with them! That's the only down fall.
Old 4/26/12, 02:55 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jkstang78
All the years I have been around Foxs. Which is around 15 years now. I have never seen or heard that before about the GM pumps. BUt if you want more feeling. Go to a manual Rack. Parking just sucks with them! That's the only down fall.
according to some folks, a few SBFs used a saginaw pump which was also used by alot of GM motors. they seem to be interchangeable I wonder if an underdrive pulley would help that even more...
Old 4/26/12, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
according to some folks, a few SBFs used a saginaw pump which was also used by alot of GM motors. they seem to be interchangeable I wonder if an underdrive pulley would help that even more...

That's intersting. I never heard this before. So I don't really know. You could always try an Underdrive pulley. As it is cheaper then going to a manual rack or other stuff.