Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Possible workaround for "non" adjustable clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/13, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Possible workaround for "non" adjustable clutch?

ok... gonna ask this question before I go to digging myself....
I had a new clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing and T5 installed right after I took delivery of the 93... Included in my list of some of the stuff that has been done to my car is "BBK FIREWAL CLUTCH ADJUSTER KIT"

My issue is this.. I simply do not have enough pedal to the floor when I engage the clutch.... Especially when I installed the new lloyds floor mats...
I need more pedal...NOW....when I went back to the shop that installed the clutch and asked them about it, they said there was little to no adjustment on the hydraulic type clutch.. I even mentioned the BBK FIREWALL

CLUTCH ADJUSTER KIT.... they said no adjustment???

can I do anything to get more pedal?
Old 12/29/13, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little confused, are you saying that the car currently has a BBK firewall clutch adjuster? You can tell by either a nice blue or silver knurled "wheel" type thing at the firewall where the clutch cable comes out. I'm not sure about the shop because these cars don't have a "hydraulic type clutch." Hydraulic means fluid. There is no fluid in a Fox clutch system, just a cable and assorted hard parts. There is a new kit by McLeod that converts your car to a hydraulic clutch but I'm guessing you don't have that. You can look up the instructions for the BBK firewall adjuster on BBK's website. They are 100% absolutely adjustable. That is the whole point of them. If it was installed correctly it's fairly easy to adjust the clutch by turning the firewall adjuster. It's a little easier with a competent friend working the clutch while you are adjusting but you can do it yourself.
Old 12/29/13, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
An adjustable clutch cable will give you more room.

Using the Adjustable Firewall Adjuster

If you’re facing the firewall and turning the firewall adjuster clockwise this will adds more slack to the cable. This causes a lower point of engagement.

Turning the firewall adjuster counterclockwise removes slack from the cable by tightening. This equates to a higher point of engagement.

If you turn the firewall adjuster to much counterclockwise, you remove all the free play and start to preload the cable. The pedal will feel harder.

Shoot for no slack and no preload, getting a happy median between the two.
Old 12/29/13, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Spaz
There is no fluid in a Fox clutch system,
yes, my bad wording....I was simply referring to a hydraulic bearing.
Old 12/29/13, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK
An adjustable clutch cable will give you more room.

Using the Adjustable Firewall Adjuster

If you’re facing the firewall and turning the firewall adjuster clockwise this will adds more slack to the cable. This causes a lower point of engagement.

Turning the firewall adjuster counterclockwise removes slack from the cable by tightening. This equates to a higher point of engagement.

If you turn the firewall adjuster to much counterclockwise, you remove all the free play and start to preload the cable. The pedal will feel harder.

Shoot for no slack and no preload, getting a happy median between the two.
this is what I was looking for... so it sounds like I need to start turning it a little counter clockwise then see what I have... I simply dont wanna get it to where the clutch is slipping and I dont realize it. Dont wanna toast the flywheel. tnx..going to go check as we speak..
Old 12/29/13, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

that did the trick! solved my issue..no more grinding in first and reverse...even with the floor mat in...lol
TNX SOOOO MUCH!
Old 12/29/13, 06:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
NP...... glad I could hear I was able to help solve your problem.
Old 1/4/14, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the moral of the story is I would try to avoid that shop in the future if you told them you had a firewall adjuster and they said there was "no adjustment." Maybe they don't have much experience with Mustangs. On the plus side, you did it yourself and now will know how to do it in the future.