Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

need help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/12, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help please!!!

Hi guys I'm having problems with my 5.0 mustang coupe I think its coming from the selenoit and the starter somewhere @ there last time a friend jump the starter and started right but it won't start by itself and also y seen some smoke coming from like the botton of the engine can someone help me diagnost the problem ill precciate.
Old 2/15/12, 12:16 AM

If you saw smoke, you'll need an actual visual inspection to be sure things aren't burned up. This is best done with the starter removed.

We can't tell you much at this point though, because we don't know what year model yours is and that can make a difference in which starter was used. Also, an older model(pre-92 or 3) might have the same starter as came on the 1993 and later 5L, because many people swapped them long ago to save weight and increase starting power. One(the newer) has the solenoid attached to the starter while the other only has a fenderwell mounted solenoid.

If it starts with a jumper attached, also check the battery. Since it's up top, have it tested 1st.

Last edited by It'llrun; 2/15/12 at 12:29 AM.
Old 2/15/12, 11:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Read the tech section on our page in the links above it. has no start help, testing starter circuit, etc.
Old 2/15/12, 06:26 PM

Thanks skunk for ur time and help just to let u know my car is a 93 mustang coupe corvertible the selenoit is mounted on the fender and its all stock except pulleys,shorty headers, cold induction ,offroad h pipe ,cat back system.but going to wait for this weekend to rise the car up and try to do a visual inspection like u suggest.
Old 2/15/12, 06:30 PM

Thanks....it'llrun for your help.