Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

My 1990 Notch Project

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/12, 02:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm Big time Jealous. Your car is sweet.
Old 2/19/12, 03:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick ? what cam you using.
Old 2/19/12, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

right now...cam is the stock HO, but a e303 is going in the car shortly.
Old 2/19/12, 04:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by oatburner99
right now...cam is the stock HO, but a e303 is going in the car shortly.
ahh okay. any thoughts on the trick flow stage 1 or a comp ?
Old 2/19/12, 04:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by skunk21
ahh okay. any thoughts on the trick flow stage 1 or a comp ?
you know, it has alot to do with what you want, people will scream till they are blue in the face to stay away from Alphabet cams, because Technology has gotten better? WHAT? LOL It's a bump stick, just like the newer ones, it depends on what parts you have matched up with it, ie heads, intake, blah blah blah.

The combo that I'm going with has been run hundreds of thousands of times and had really good results. I'm building a car that still going to be my DD, and my playtoy. I don't need a custom ground cam.... I'm happy with my dinosaur cam

As far as the TFS1 or comp....I don't know never ran either one....I do know that the e303 is going to allow me to stay in my powerband at a higher RPM. Right now @ the track (road course) I'm winding 3rd gear and run out of power @ 5100 rpm, with the e303, I should still be making power close to 6,000. I've had my car dyno'd and it falls on it's face @ 5,100 rpm.
Old 2/19/12, 04:42 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I had the E303 in mine and went with the TFS1 when I did the motor. I prefer the TFS1 but it went in with heads, intake, rollers and headers. So it was a big change before I ever fired it up with the new cam. Don't care for the letter cams much.
Old 2/19/12, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I actually had a buddy call Ford racing about the letter cams being outdated.they told him that they have upgraded them many times over the years.obviously they didn't change the specifications or they would no longer be what they are.but they did upgrade other things like the materials they use,machining processes etc. So IMO they may not be the best cams but they are proven technology.I also agree with above said that a cam need to be chosen for there particular setup.I like www.camquest.com. or the best thing to do is call a cam expert and tell them what u have/want .
Old 2/19/12, 05:00 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I hear ya man. But just a thought. I put a TFS1 in mine about 9 years ago and people are still swearing by them so I think you can thrust those also. Just saying but either cam will be an improvement.
Old 2/19/12, 05:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by onebadvert
I actually had a buddy call Ford racing about the letter cams being outdated.they told him that they have upgraded them many times over the years.obviously they didn't change the specifications or they would no longer be what they are.but they did upgrade other things like the materials they use,machining processes etc. So IMO they may not be the best cams but they are proven technology.I also agree with above said that a cam need to be chosen for there particular setup.I like www.camquest.com. or the best thing to do is call a cam expert and tell them what u have/want .
meh you look at my mods I have an e-cam. truth be told the ford cams are dated to an extent, there are better off the shelf cams. I would rather go with a custom grind, it doesn't cost that much more and I will be doing it on my next build. I know this can be one of beat the dead horse topics but it is my opinion.
Old 2/19/12, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

meh you look at my mods I have an e-cam. truth be told the ford cams are dated to an extent, there are better off the shelf cams. I would rather go with a custom grind, it doesn't cost that much more and I will be doing it on my next build. I know this can be one of beat the dead horse topics but it is my opinion.
I'm sure there is better of the shelf cams, or custom ground. Just easier for me to spend $75 on a never run e303 and make more power than I do now, which makes my track events more enjoyable if I build another motor, for this car and make it for track duty only, then yes I would look into a different cam....
Old 2/19/12, 05:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by oatburner99
I'm sure there is better of the shelf cams, or custom ground. Just easier for me to spend $75 on a never run e303 and make more power than I do now, which makes my track events more enjoyable if I build another motor, for this car and make it for track duty only, then yes I would look into a different cam....

very good
Old 2/19/12, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I hear ya man. But just a thought. I put a TFS1 in mine about 9 years ago and people are still swearing by them so I think you can thrust those also. Just saying but either cam will be an improvement.
i agree. not saying anything bad of tfs1. i wouldnt mind giving it a try.
Old 2/19/12, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

i agree with you also.im not the guy out there swear by the letter cams.(yes its a beating dead horse topic)i just think if you can get one for a deal on a real mild build they are sufficient.i really want to get a custum grind to.that is always the best route to go.:good:
Old 2/19/12, 05:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by onebadvert
i agree with you also.im not the guy out there swear by the letter cams.(yes its a beating dead horse topic)i just think if you can get one for a deal on a real mild build they are sufficient.i really want to get a custum grind to.that is always the best route to go.:good:
agree for the money he spent I would use it. I want to ditch mine though.
Old 2/21/12, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Well these showed up today....the first of the parts wave landed on the home front
Old 2/22/12, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

Got some more goodies today
Trick flow bushings should be here shortly....come on mail man LOL

Old 2/22/12, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

feels like christmas dont it?
Old 2/23/12, 05:03 AM
V6 Member

Yep, one last trip to the store and we'll be ready :P
Old 2/23/12, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

Alright....all parts have arrived and are accounted for
H/C/I Swap goodies

BBK Ceramic 1 5/8 LongTubes with offroad h-pipe

New Control arms
Old 2/23/12, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

nice.what kind of control arms are those?

Quick Reply: My 1990 Notch Project