Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Motor swap time..

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/08, 10:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor swap time..

Hey all,
Been awhile since I was able to post on here, work/life got in the way for awhile but finally got around to starting on my car..it turns out at some point in the past there was a majorly blown gasket (I hope) or a crack in the waterjacket, anyway the entire cooling system is contaminated, old oil/sludge throughout the whole thing..so, as luck would have it a friend of mine was looking to get rid of an '88 t-bird sport that had had some work done to it's motor prior to it's park/sitting..I still plan to haul some pieces from it over later, but here is the main jist, complete with pictures & an AVI with a surprise ending (boy, was I surprised.)
03/30/08
Ok, so this weekend been working on gettin the old motor out & droppin in the new, it's another 5.0 out of an 88 t-bird with E7's & bigger cam, pulling the old motor went smoothly....

then we go to put the new one in, and some monkey at the parts warehouse mis-boxed my drivers side motor mount..the thing is "very" close..but the mounting bolt on the frame side is wrong..now I am stuck till at least noon tomorrow when I can get in to pick up the new mount..

04/01/08-04/02/08
as for the mount.. it was the wrong one/mis-boxed.. 3 times I tried to swap it & they all sent the wrong ones or were also mis-boxed. The ones they were sending were either A: passenger side (need driver) or wrong all togather.. motor wouldnt even sit in the frame.. BUT!!. I have the right ones now, I was "almost" ready to try 'vert mounts... will see how it goes this weekend.
yeah, well, only took 3 trips/ordering it 'cause they don't stock them... Now I need to find a double hump x-member for the exhaust..so far it's gettin' longtubes & a set of used cherrybombs.. I was thinkin' zoomies..but can't find any around here
04/04/08
Ok, got the mounts finaly, only had to order the **** things 3 times, between mis-boxed/mis-labled/mis-shipped.. I got em. next snag was this motor had an elec. ignition, so I had to use my old distributor..minor issue at the most, going to redo it later anyways but figured I'd note it.

Next minor snag was the fuel pump.. at least till '82 it was mechanical & mounted on the block. At some point between then & '88 Ford, in their wisdom moved to an electronig pump..in the fuel tank.. and fuzt with the block to the degree that you cannot mount an older pump to it in the same place, Seems like a plate would have done fine, but no, the changed the casting...'cause they can.. I guess. So I had to pick up a new fuel pump, not a big deal either, but they have gone up in price, cheapest I could find was $40.00 at o'rielys.

The longtubes were next, and a real PITA, lost 1 header bolt, but thinking it's in the cross-over where the pipes meet, small problem, still annoying.While looking for a double-hump cross member I decided to check the bird I got the motor from, and it had one, so I am set there, the plan at the moment is to have the tips exit just in front of the rear wheels...I was thinking about zoomies, but I have already recieved threats to my person if I go through with that.
Also, we discovered the hard way, the steering knuckle has to come off to fit the headers in there, wasn't expecting that, or the fact that they now sit "on" the fuel lines.. a little re-routing will fix that up tho. I really hate replying to my own threads, but since the edit doesnt show as new.....I should have it back togather by Sat. will see how the weather holds out...she's almost together again.

04/05/08
Ok, got it IN, and all I can tell is there was some running change on the k-member in 83, .. they're in, but talk about a PITA. I had to reverse the L/R brackets to get it to sit in there..
Thats the good, bad is, it blew the gasket on the timing cover after we started her up.

I'm hoping this doesnt kill the bandwith if so have a mod delete & the url is below
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t=ItsALIVE.flv
I know this was long & drawn out, but hey, new camera & having NO idea how to resize pics..well...at this point I am not sure what direction I will go, it will be taken to the thrack on occasion & it's getting underdrive pullys added when we replace the timing cover gasket..it was a definate expeiance, I will say that, being my forst engine swap since high school, I had hoped to document it better, but this will do for now, just thought this would be a good place to share the rebirth of a GT.
Old 4/9/08, 10:53 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
IITSSSAAAAAAALLLIIIIIIVVVEEEE

As I said in the other thread, I am very in awe of this car. Any Idea of the power levels in the new motor?
Old 4/9/08, 10:55 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

Hey, its still progress. Good to hear another mustang lives again !
Old 4/9/08, 11:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
IITSSSAAAAAAALLLIIIIIIVVVEEEE

As I said in the other thread, I am very in awe of this car. Any Idea of the power levels in the new motor?

not a clue, last info I was given was that it had 10.90 compression ratio flat top pistons e7 ported head 2.02 1.60, also have heard that it has a b303, and an a303 cam in it..so not really sure, the one thing I am concerned with now is the dist. gear, with this being a roller motor I've hear that it eats older/non-elec ign. dist gears..gonna see soon enough tho...