Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Midpipe suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/07, 02:11 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midpipe suggestions.

There is a precious metals place by my house that is willing to give me a good amount of money for each catalytic converter I can give them in any condition. Well my car has 4 and thats a good amount of change.

Where I am living they just passed a law that cars 95 and older do not have to be tested for emissions anymore!

What I have been thinking now is scrap the cats for cash and bolt on a new off road midpipe. I am looking at a BBK midpipe because I have BBK equallength headers and I think it would fit great then. I have a flowmaster system in the back that goes over the axel and connect to the midpipe. But I noticed that the pipes on the stock midpipe are off-set that one pipe is longer than the other, and in the pic of the BBK midpipe for my car the pipes are even.

Any suggestions on any other midpipes, how they sound and a good fit? Is the BBK pipe fine?

Thanks!
Old 4/8/07, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Does anyone know how well summit midpipes are? Because they are 60 bucks cheaper than the BBK's any difference besides the summits being in 2 pieces?

HAPPY EASTER!!!

Old 4/8/07, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I remember reading at another forum that Summit's H-pipe always leaked, right where they connect at the H. I have a Mac H pipe and it fits fine to my BBK headers so if you get a BBK pipe it should fit no problem.
Old 4/8/07, 08:47 PM
GT Member

I remember looking at your myspace videos from another thread, and I remember that I liked your sound. I forget though what mufflers you had?

Is that about the sound I will get with the 2 chamber flowmasters?
Old 4/8/07, 11:07 PM
GT Member

I have another question...

lets say I get this: http://borla.com/applications/lookup..._System/14139/

What mid-pipe do I use, because I can not find any Borla mid-pipes? Unless I am not looking in the right direction.
I can not use the stock mid-pipe because I am going to sell the cats for cash to upgrade the exhaust system. Also remember I have BBK equal length headers.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 4/8/07, 11:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any GOOD midpipe should work. If not, oh well, take it to a muffler shop a pay a few bucks to get it extended (or cut down) and have them weld on the Borla kit.
Old 4/9/07, 06:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stix66
I remember looking at your myspace videos from another thread, and I remember that I liked your sound. I forget though what mufflers you had?

Is that about the sound I will get with the 2 chamber flowmasters?
like in my sig, I have Mac's mufflers which they call "Flowpath", I believe they are very similar to Flowmaster's design, just a regular chambered muffler.

I agree with Jack, just about any midpipe should fit, but some will fit better than others. I have a Mac midpipe connected to BBK headers and don't seem to have any problems.

I don't think Borla makes midpipes, at least not for foxes. I'm sure their cat-back is superb quality seeing as its made out of 304 stainless, we have miles of pipe at work (chemical plant) and they are all 304 stainless for a reason.
I believe the mufflers of the Borla system are a different design than the traditional chambered flowmaster/Mac, they are a straight-through design with baffles along the side which is going to create a different sound than a chambered design.

keep in mind the BBK and Mac systems are made of aluminized steel, which honestly won't last long even with the Mac's HTS "Durablack" coating which is supposed to prevent rust. Unfortunetly (for me) I can't find any stainless H-pipes, only X's and I don't want an X
Old 4/9/07, 07:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Valentino
keep in mind the BBK and Mac systems are made of aluminized steel, which honestly won't last long even with the Mac's HTS "Durablack" coating which is supposed to prevent rust. Unfortunetly (for me) I can't find any stainless H-pipes, only X's and I don't want an X
yeah I do not want an X either. I think I am gonna go for a Mac H pipe, and If I can save a a few bills before summer hits I will get the borla cat back system. Otherwise I will keep my Flowmasters on especially if I like the sound! But the Borlas sound so nice too

Thanks for the help when i get something done I will update!